Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Server Suggestions?

Post by Stevo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:17 am

As you may have noticed, we are down to one TF2 server. It stays empty most of the time, so I want to know if anyone has any suggestions for a format that might work for it. What mods or map rotation should we try?

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Server Suggestions?

Post by John Doe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:21 pm

I have not TF2'd in years Stevo, perhaps we spam our Ville steam group and get a fun night going, perhaps even on a regular basis and see if we can breath some life into the server and come up with a format?

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:34 am

I haven't even had TF2 installed for over a year. :( Apparently people do still play it although it pales in comparison to the top 4 games on Steam.

Top games by current player count
Current Players // Peak Today // Game

752,532 // 842,962 // Dota 2
496,800 // 521,681 // Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
243,702 // 290,270 // PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
110,837 // 145,593 // H1Z1: King of the Kill
92,285 // 109,129 // Grand Theft Auto V
80,931 // 106,337 // PAYDAY 2
65,996 // 66,115 // ARK: Survival Evolved
60,327 // 60,754 // Team Fortress 2
60,221 // 63,284 // Football Manager 2017
47,798 // 52,655 // Garry's Mod

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:38 pm

I would be very happy to play games with people again, but I've got nothing on TF2 anymore. I haven't played more than a few minutes in over a year.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 am

Only time I've been on TF2 in the last... 2 years, maybe... is to check my inventory before selling stuff. I've kept it installed on the extremely off chance an admin is needed for it, because I always want to be able to assist as needed, but I don't enjoy pretty much anything about the game anymore. There are still thousands who play it, of course, but I feel like the final death knell for our servers was when Valve put matchmaking/quickplay in, and hid the server browser. Without people using a server browser, creating and maintaining a community identity from within the game is just not practical. That was our primary means of reaching out and recruiting people. I have been actively watching for and trying out games for what feels like an eternity now, trying to find ones that would be good options for our community to move towards, but the industry-wide push towards matchmaking, lobbying, and absolute company control over servers really flies in the face of what we've always been about. Thoughts of the most recent ones I've been playing or considering:

The closest match to our kind of server control and community building I've seen is ARMA 3. Players use a server browser, admins have full control over servers, and players identify with the communities upon whose servers they game. It is a game I very much enjoy, but it probably wouldn't be loved by our whole group (games are a couple hours long, played seriously, and are not great for drop-in/drop-out players).

I've been loving Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, and have been playing with Villuns the last few days with great success, but that is a lobby system with a maximum group size of 4. Much like L4D2 or Rocket League, it's up to a person to decide they want to play, then personally recruit friends via PM until they have enough for a team.

I was just taking a peek at Squad, and considering grabbing it on sale. It's a shooter that combines some of the realism elements from ARMA with some of the arcade aspects of Battlefield, and focuses entirely on teamwork, but it is an Early Access game that looks like it's stuck in a bit of development hell, and doesn't have a big player base, despite being out for a year and a half.

I know many Villuns play or have played Overwatch, but that's also a limited lobby system with no continuity from one match to the next, and isn't even on Steam.

Honestly, CS:GO is probably the closest thing to our longstanding style of game, but playing with friends requires creating a small lobby of your own and then being connected to a random server, so I don't believe there's any control over it, nor does it support having a community identity, which we need.
-Boss Llama

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:02 am

I miss TF2, I just don't have time to go searching around for a decent server when I have time to play.

I'd love it if we stated hosting some fun nights occasionally.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:36 am

What about something like PropHunt?