A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Gun Mettle Update

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Not sure, I seem to get a spike and then crash out frequently. I'm wondering if it is my HUD that doesn't seem to like the changes (granted I can't recall how to change the HUD its been so long now...)
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:01 pm

YoullNeverWalkAlone wrote:Not sure, I seem to get a spike and then crash out frequently. I'm wondering if it is my HUD that doesn't seem to like the changes (granted I can't recall how to change the HUD its been so long now...)
There is a long history of big releases causing crashes on OS X until they patch it a week later...

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Apparently "Contracts can only be worked on when connected to a Valve server".

OK, I feel really ripped off on the Campaign Pass that I just gave valve $7.49 CAD for. Valve really hates community servers.
:(

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:30 pm

I believe it's because it would be relatively easy for people to set up servers just to farm contracts. At least on officials they'll have to play against other people.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:26 pm

black_and_blue wrote:Apparently "Contracts can only be worked on when connected to a Valve server".

OK, I feel really ripped off on the Campaign Pass that I just gave valve $7.49 CAD for. Valve really hates community servers.
:(
If you haven't played too much since buying it, use the recently publicized refund process to request a refund. If they're good to their word, you can do so no harm, no foul.
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:42 am

Boss Llama wrote:If you haven't played too much since buying it, use the recently publicized refund process to request a refund. If they're good to their word, you can do so no harm, no foul.
You can't use the ticket either, if you've already claimed the coin you're out of luck.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by trilobite » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Boss Llama wrote:
I also see a couple of major balance changes (spy and engy), couple of "please please please use this weapon!" changes, one flat-out buff (Demoman??? Seriously???), one I don't know enough to comment on (Sniper), and Pyro gets... well...

I don't know if I count as a good pyro anymore, though I fancy that I was once respectable at it. Maybe these changes are supposed to fall in to the "please use this weapon" category, but pyros who use shotguns do so because it's has multiple shots, good damage, a spread target, and is good for fighting other pyros or finishing off fleeing enemies. These changes are utterly meaningless for most pyros - they may as well not have happened. For those who use those weapons, it did make the Scorch Shot better and the Detonator worse, but that affects such a small number of pyros as to be of limited interest.
I beg your pardon, good sir. I happen to be one of those putatively rare scorch shot pyros. I use the scorch shot to remove scary sticky clusters. Faster than shotgun and effective on stickies over a greater distance. My medics and engies like it when I do that and they promise me presents. I use my little scorch shot to harass and ignite snipers across the map. One of my absolute favys. Endorphins surge upon the song of an Australian's distant grousing. Such an annoyance to be on fire when trying to aim through that tiny scope. I use that nifty little gun to knock back ubered heavies from a safe distance. I ignite mean soldiers (they're so rugged) to instill a little humility. That little device reveals hidden, distant spies, setting them aflame for all to attack. It's a thing of perverse beauty. Sad for the little spy, but they are good eating -- or so I'm told. Do I get a lot of kills with it? No. Does being on fire have a psychological impact? Yes. And after a time, reduces health below optimum levels, causing opponents to scurry for health packs or cry to their medic. So, if killing is your main goal, be tough and use the shotgun. But if creating chaos and frustration, and especially -- if burning things -- all the time, burn burn, burn those things -- brings you joy, then any of those little toy flare guns are good, and fun, and useful.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:29 am

trilobite wrote:
Boss Llama wrote:
I also see a couple of major balance changes (spy and engy), couple of "please please please use this weapon!" changes, one flat-out buff (Demoman??? Seriously???), one I don't know enough to comment on (Sniper), and Pyro gets... well...

I don't know if I count as a good pyro anymore, though I fancy that I was once respectable at it. Maybe these changes are supposed to fall in to the "please use this weapon" category, but pyros who use shotguns do so because it's has multiple shots, good damage, a spread target, and is good for fighting other pyros or finishing off fleeing enemies. These changes are utterly meaningless for most pyros - they may as well not have happened. For those who use those weapons, it did make the Scorch Shot better and the Detonator worse, but that affects such a small number of pyros as to be of limited interest.
I beg your pardon, good sir. I happen to be one of those putatively rare scorch shot pyros. I use the scorch shot to remove scary sticky clusters. Faster than shotgun and effective on stickies over a greater distance. My medics and engies like it when I do that and they promise me presents. I use my little scorch shot to harass and ignite snipers across the map. One of my absolute favys. Endorphins surge upon the song of an Australian's distant grousing. Such an annoyance to be on fire when trying to aim through that tiny scope. I use that nifty little gun to knock back ubered heavies from a safe distance. I ignite mean soldiers (they're so rugged) to instill a little humility. That little device reveals hidden, distant spies, setting them aflame for all to attack. It's a thing of perverse beauty. Sad for the little spy, but they are good eating -- or so I'm told. Do I get a lot of kills with it? No. Does being on fire have a psychological impact? Yes. And after a time, reduces health below optimum levels, causing opponents to scurry for health packs or cry to their medic. So, if killing is your main goal, be tough and use the shotgun. But if creating chaos and frustration, and especially -- if burning things -- all the time, burn burn, burn those things -- brings you joy, then any of those little toy flare guns are good, and fun, and useful.
To add to this, i'm a Detonator Pyro personally and I absolutely love the utility given by having it with me. Being able to perform mini-rocket jumps is a pretty big deal as a Pyro who is naturally a CQC class. This opens up so many flanks that s/he'd otherwise not be able to get in to and is especially nasty when you've got the Backburner equipped. I see it all the time, "who expects a Pyro to come from there?" For instance, Dustbowl map 1 cap 2 on defense, you can flare jump into the tunnel entrance that Snipers usually camp from quickly without having to deal with the precise platforming otherwise required, or you can hop into the attic without having to go all the way around on Goldrush map 1 cap 2. It's also great at ranged harassment and sticky removal much like Trilo's Scorch Shot. The ability to set groups on fire from long range is pretty sweet as it will likely cause them to go on the defensive for a bit while they burn or waste resources putting the fires out. Paired with the Phlog, multiple burning targets builds Mmmph at a much faster rate, and mini-crits on burning players just further helps in that department. What's more? Flares cause damage to myself at point-blank, meaning I can assist Medics charging their uber by shooting my feet!

Personally, I don't think the Detonator is any worse than before, and I think it's actually better. It's damage is primarily afterburn so any reduction to base damage isn't much as the flares only did about 30 damage to begin with. The self-damage penalty doesn't really apply to the Detonator itself which only does about 30ish per jump, it more concerns getting hit with your own airblasted projectiles (which does hinder airblast-rocket jumping if you're any good at that). With Phlog this means nothing, and you don't airblast too often with Backburner. What has improved is the blast radius, making hitting multiple targets and people hiding behind cover much easier and the jump height on a flare jump making getting into those higher pathways simpler.

I can't justify a shotgun on Pyro when the Detonator is just too useful for flanking, harassment, and Medic assistance.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Scorch
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Scorch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:26 am

I just think it's great to have a weapon named after myself. Props to Valve! :dance: :clap: