Map time on TV6: Should it be increased?

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Map time on TV6: Should it be increased?

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:07 pm

So I think we all know already that people tend to leave at the end of a round, but there's something else I've noticed for quite a while: even more people leave if the map reloads. This seems to be specific to TV6. On TV7, they seem more tolerant of map reloads.

Anyway, I'm thinking that in order to try to reduce the number of mass exoduses, maybe we might want to increase the map time limit to 5 hours or more? Or maybe just remove it altogether?

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Map time on TV6: Should it be increased?

Post by Perfect Villain » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:28 pm

doesn't that mean that scores will be the same for a long time? New players joining might not enjoy constantly being so far behind in points
Thanks Sparky

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:57 pm

It does indeed mean scores won't reset. I think we need to strike a balance between having it not reset too often ('cause people leave), and not waiting too long (because some people stay longer than they otherwise would, knowing a reset is coming). Also, as PV said, it helps keep the points more visually similar, since there are people who care deeply about that sort of thing.
-Boss Llama

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:05 pm

I don't mind it but i've noticed there are quite a few competitive players and they would likely end up abandoning playing on our servers if they had to put up with that, obviously there would have to be a reset at some point and definitely not for a 5-8 hour period as i think that might be too long.
Thanks Sparky

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:38 pm

It just happened again. Was 24/24 players with 15 minutes left, now it's 5/24 with 1 hour and 54 minutes, so I can only surmise that the reload killed it.

Having the servers not die is very important to keeping them healthy because seeding them multiple times in the same day contributes a LOT to seeder burnout. I think there's a good number of people who are willing to seed the servers once per day, but when it becomes 3-4 times per day it gets to be too much.

We do seem to have a decent population who will join the server if it has 18+ people on it, but if everyone leaves at once, these people won't join unless it's reseeded, and we can't be tapping the same resources again and again to reseed the servers. If, once the servers are full, they die after two hours, that hurts them a LOT.

It also hurts TV7, because if everyone is working themselves to death seeding 6 multiple times per day, they're not going to seed 7 at all.

If we can't increase the time limit, maybe we could instead replace it with an auto restart on map end after a set period of time (without a reload)?

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Another thing that may have occurred at the same time. Supper/dinner time for most people.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Just watched it drop for 24 to 10 on reload. Then, within 4 minutes, it was down to two people including me. This in the middle of prime time.

I'd intended to seed 7 at this hour, but will instead focus on refilling 6.

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:22 am

There could be something contributing besides the map reload
Thanks Sparky

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:25 am

black_and_blue wrote:If we can't increase the time limit, maybe we could instead replace it with an auto restart on map end after a set period of time (without a reload)?
I wonder if something like this would be a good compromise. We could extend the map time but automatically reset the scoreboard after a predetermined amount of time.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:54 am

well the other big factor is the re-scrambling of the teams
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:59 am

As long as the server remains stable, I would keep the map timer as long as possible. I don't like it myself but keeping servers full is more important.

I don't think map restarts would be particularly helpful or harmful, really. They may cause a mini exodus a I don't believe many people are really too worried about those score disparities the way they used to be - this is how servers are these days.
There are little scoreboard plug ins I've seen elsewhere that show top scores for both teams at the end of the round - that would probably be more beneficial to server population than building in periodic map resets.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Scorch
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Scorch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Plinko wrote:There are little scoreboard plug ins I've seen elsewhere that show top scores for both teams at the end of the round - that would probably be more beneficial to server population than building in periodic map resets.
+1

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:34 pm

My poor fiance would never top the score board. She'd be so disappointed - she was so happy the other day when she got to the top by out lasting the players above her. :D

Scorch
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Scorch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:36 pm

We did a score reset last night which cleared everyone's scores without restarting the map. If we can do that periodically that should help.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:07 pm

OmgOhnoes wrote:My poor fiance would never top the score board. She'd be so disappointed - she was so happy the other day when she got to the top by out lasting the players above her. :D

Wait...what?!? What on earth possessed her to say yes?

Last night Black and Blue reset the server, but it did not change the map, which caused a real quick start from square one for scores and map stage. It didn't have that reload screen that I think is the kiss of death for a server at times. I extended the map time twice last night when it was really late in the hopes of keeping the server full. It seemed to work as the people we lost were replaced by new folk joining and the server was going well when I had to leave around midnight my time.

As BaB and I were talking last night (perhaps with Scorch? One of the regulars...) the main thing that will keep the server full is a solid base of regulars. I've seen more people with 1000 for a score than usual, but more encouraging is the number of people last night who had scores like 1200 or 1400. It shows people who came to visit and returned to play. Good sign I hope.

Also been real happy with the number of regulars who have swapped teams when things seem out of hand/unbalanced. Several have been the voice of reason when you get rolled on stage one and supported/encouraged folks to look at class comp and communication.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96