A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Merry Smissmas Update Discussion

Post by Maple Man » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:59 pm

First of all, Merry Smissmas everyone :3. I tried to random stuff on Warpath, and their changes...good and bad, so here are my opinions of the Demoman re-balance update-thing-change. As of now, I haven't tested the beta map, but eh looks interesting.

--Demoman Changes & Stock Weapons: His damage is more stable, so that's probably a good thing. Furthermore, the grenade launcher does full damage anywhere, so that's also a positive. Blast radius is...eh. At least Demospam doesn't have as much AoE on everyone. Bit hard to notice the change though. Stickybombs are slightly more avoidable. While they are more visible in air & after being launched, they're most likely going to be used the same way. Choke-point an area & drop it on the ground to back up. Doesn't help that the speed of a stickybomb is still pretty fast, so avoiding it would still be somewhat difficult.

--Iron Bomber: I love this. It feels like you're shooting timed stickies, and makes the grenades not go rolling around when hitting the ground. The blast radius reduction also helps demoknights have something to pull out after charging in and backing up. Looks like a viable weapon.

--The Quickiebomb Launcher: Haven't tried yet, but by the looks of it, it's a stickybomb counter. Less clipsize & less damage means less damage in the long run, even with the higher fire rate. (Compared to the stock stickybomb launcher)

--The Panic Attack: Take a Beggars Bazooka, add panic to the player, and make it close range. There you go, it's a panic attack. As stated, it's a panic button. Pretty sure it will hurt like hell when up close.

--The Loose Cannon: Got buffed, more damage, more consistency in damage. Not much said there.

--The Loch-n-Load: Well know it's even harder to kill a Scout in your face, as you're forced to land 2 shots to kill a full hp Scouts instead of 1. Less damage to self is nice. Will probably take even less damage when it explodes in your face w/ the blast radius reduction. With the clip size increase, it can probably destroy sentries easier than before. Overall, it reminds me of the Direct Hit. Good luck getting multiple kills with it now.

--Bootlegger / Ali Baba's Wee Booties: Works better with shields NOT the Tide Turner. Still might die, but you're still tank w/ a chance to counter charge.

--Scottish Resistance: No longer a derpy Demoman just sitting there defending places w/o any mobility. This will make flicking your mouse less annoying, and have more jumping control than before.

--Scotsman's Skullcutter: Actually usable now. With proper usage, the speed decrease of the weapon would be non-existent. Still hits as hard.

--Claidheamh Mor & Tide Turner:.......................................................................
The change that isn't so bad was how the charge can be interrupted if they react fast enough. This change makes sense, as the tide turner was capable of getting kills based on their reaction speed, and even more after 1 kill. Still able to be used for ambushing.
Here's why this change is annoying as hell:
First, let me ask you something. What is 25% + 75%? 100% right? What about 75% * (2 * Kills from caber)? It's 150%k (assuming k = kills) So how does valve read this? Yeah you have 100% in your tide turner...graphically. In reality, you just lost your charge...until you die...well that sucks. Good for escaping, but uh...good luck getting a kill w/ it and using it again. The Claidheamh Mor is still usable on other shields, and also gives more charge. But on a Tide Turner, not a chance. On the bright side, because Valve can't add, Caber + Tide Turner is even more viable, as you're probably useless after charging. The explosion radius is still nuts with the crit, and now it's just 1 charge.
This has been fixed, so I can stop crying about it :3. A stray bullet still stops you dead in your tracks though.

So what are you impressions of the weapon changes? I see the majority of them sensible, but there exists a few changes that make me feel hollow inside. Weapons are interesting though. Did more hats get added?
Last edited by Maple Man on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c4ridw3n
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Merry Smissmas Update Discussion

Post by c4ridw3n » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Nice write up, Maple!

I wouldn't have known there was a change ;)
Hope to get cabered soon ;)

cari

The_Reaper
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The_Reaper » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:40 pm

I have tried the beta mode and it's quality will be described in the form of a question: Do you like Unreal Tournament?

Seriously, Mannpower is a reskinned updated version of Unreal, though I found the hook to be a little awkward to access. It also kind of makes the explosive jumpers unnecessary and when everyone's hooking around slower weapons are useless. May be a good mode once you adjust, but for the moment it is very disorientating. I also forgot about the power ups until near the end so I have no clue if they're good or not. Given how easily I forgot, I'll guess they're not good.
The Ville Cup 2014-The Carpetbaggers

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Joel » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:54 am

I haven't played TF2 in such a long time, I'm actually caught unawares about the release of new weapons.