Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TV7 Order Change Ideas

Post by Daryldime » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Yeah as a playable map it's pretty terrible. It was meant to showcase the texture pack that coincided with the release of Sleeping Dogs.
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

Oddjob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Oddjob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:04 pm

That's unfortunate. I just saw the screenshot so I couldn't comment much on the gameplay.

I found a nice page that displays the most popular maps currently. https://tf2stats.net/map_list/

A map vote system would be nice but it does require time and effort to configure properly. I enjoy the map voting systems in place on the firepowered servers and some of the prop hunt servers I play on. They typically have 6-8 options. 4-6 maps to vote on that are picked randomly by weight or nomination , extend 15 minutes or option #8 being a random vote for one of the 4-6 maps.

If you were to create a pool of maps from the popular CP/PL/PLR/CTF/KOTH options with weighting as you see fit I think it could work well. Limit a played map to where it only appears in voting once every 5 maps.

You could weight badwater, dustbowl, goldrush and other maps higher so they appear in the random selection more often.

Either way I just enjoy gaming with you guys :dance: :)

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:40 pm

I like Kong but it is a complex map that most players aren't familiar with :?

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:43 pm

I'd like to try it :D
2013 Ville Cup- GOD (Group of Drunks) 2nd Place
2014 Ville Cup- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent 3rd place

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:50 pm

We had Kong it on TV3 for a while when it was a KOTH server, so I did play it there a few times. Might be interesting to play it in an event some time, but I really can't see it working on TV3.

Since Harvest did all right, I could see that maybe viaduct or lakeside might also work (but not both in the rotation at once - I really think one KOTH at a time is the max). I really can't see anything else working on TV7 as far as KOTH maps go.

LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LonelyTentacle » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:06 am

Just make TV6 & 7 TFC servers instead! Aside from that a voting system would be great as it tends to make people happy to have a choice every now and again. As far as maps go, you'll never make everyone truly happy as there will be whiners and supporters for any map. If the rotation would be refreshed more frequently or a map vote system in place it would help with the Debbie downers as it keeps things from getting too stale.

Man In A Mask
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Man In A Mask » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:01 pm

As I havent been around long enough to see that last time The Ville had a vote system can someone tell me why we dont have one?

Rumps
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Rumps » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:20 pm

I don't think there has been a vote option, at least since I can recall. It may not be an option with the software that is used, which I believe is sv_pure, same reason we don't have quickplay enabled....although I could be wrong.

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:22 pm

A while back there used to be votes every few months to switch out maps (I think) but I don't think there was ever a vote system on the servers.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 pm

belak wrote:I don't think there was ever a vote system on the servers.
TV1 had one for a while. Not really sure whether it made the server more or less full, but I can tell you it definitely decreased the overall number of maps that were played on the server. Since most people only stay for a map or two, they tended to always vote for the same small group of maps.

Man In A Mask
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Man In A Mask » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:10 am

black_and_blue wrote:
I can tell you it definitely decreased the overall number of maps that were played on the server. Since most people only stay for a map or two, they tended to always vote for the same small group of maps.

Is that really so bad though. I mean there is the option to get to other maps still. And if those are the maps people want to play logically it will help the server fill more.

LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LonelyTentacle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Have the map selection for votes random so the same ones don't pop up every time.

Oddjob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Oddjob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:34 pm

With most server voting systems you can configure them to exclude a certain number of previously played maps from the voting list to encourage more map variety.

The main thing with a voting system is it will bring in more map variety by expanding out the map select set. Most of the time I am on the rotation server its running a payload map. I know badwater is regularly used to fill the server but when it stacks up against pl_goldrush/barnblitz/thundermountain/frontier it gets a bit stale. There are other good pl maps not included in the rotation.

Map voting brings in more spontaneity, map variety (options), and gameplay variety. I'd suggest adding in some of the better custom maps onto the rotation server but I know it is tailored for stock maps. It just seems like the custom map server is always empty. I guess the main problem with custom maps is the familiarity issue and people not sticking around for a map they don't know.

Oddjob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Oddjob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Using UGC and other competitive TF2 leagues to pull well balanced custom maps is a good way to narrow down some of the more commonly played ones.

CP_Sunshine - https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Suns ... etitive%29
PL_Borneo - http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=17011
CP_Snakewater - https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Snak ... mpetitive) - played this before and it plays really well
PL_Cashworks - http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/69298
CP_Freight - https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Freight
CP_MountainLab - https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Mountain_Lab

Good example of a solid payload custom map that is well played in the community:

PL_Swiftwater

http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/105583

LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LonelyTentacle » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:06 am

black_and_blue wrote:
TV1 had one for a while. Not really sure whether it made the server more or less full, but I can tell you it definitely decreased the overall number of maps that were played on the server. Since most people only stay for a map or two, they tended to always vote for the same small group of maps.
Its like that anyway. Badwater is the map 80% of the time so might as well try something new! At worst....well not much to lose! :dance: