A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Order Change Ideas

Post by LonelyTentacle » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:05 am

maninamask wrote:Personally I think there are worst options than gravel pit to remove to make room for cold front. Why not say foundry? Could be the time it comes on but it almost always kills the server from what Ive seen. Then we are just replacing a 5cp with another 5cp.

And would having 2 koth maps be noticed as much if they are spaced apart? Throw on at the beginning/end and one in the middle.
I could live with foundry/doublecross substituting for coldfront as well. Or just add coldfront (though the server rotation would be longer). I'm down for any little change. I totally would love a vote for next map option too to spice it up.

As for timelimits, they can be adjusted within map configs so you can dump down the timers for some while keeping something like badwater which is used for seeding its current length.

Rumps
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Rumps » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:42 pm

bumpity bump

PaSTE
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by PaSTE » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:30 pm

How smart can we make the list? If Badwater and Dustbowl are the major seeders, can we always keep those two some number of maps apart (ideally N/2 - 1), then shuffle the order of the maps in between? That way, the people who play though the seeders and one or two more maps will get to see different maps every time.
-- (nosig)

gilmore606
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Post by gilmore606 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Do people actually like pl_goldrush? It's so chokey and sad.

shack buchanan
Shack Buchanan

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:50 pm

I like goldrush. its chokey, but stock respawn times help keep it from bogging down and it seems that only really imbalanced teams or a very determined/organized defense keeps the game from getting to the 3rd stage.

Stevo can certainly set the order differently, but something to keep in mind:
When we seed and someone sets the map to badwater (as is usually done, good for seeding), it doesn't actually reset the order to start there. It simply replaces whatever the current map is with the map it was changed to. Its why sometimes we've seeded and 2 or 3 maps later find ourselves back on badwater.

It has been fun to have a couple new maps on. We had a fantastic run on harvest one night with two balanced teams (and a lot of regulars/folks visiting from dustbowl). I've actually enjoyed playing turbine again. its been some time since it was in the rotation.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:55 pm

gilmore606 wrote:Do people actually like pl_goldrush? It's so chokey and sad.
I think it's probably the #2 map for keeping the server full, right after badwater. I'd actually say it's in even a stronger map on TV7 than Dustbowl.

Keep in mind that what keeps a pub server full and what make for a good competitive map are two very different things. I enjoy maps like Snakewater and Gullywash, but in both cases, even a slight imbalance in teams ofter causes steamrolls, and nothing clears out a pub server faster than short rounds and steamrolls.

Much as people often complain about slow (dustbowl/goldrush) or stalematey (warpath) maps, they are often precisely the type of map that keeps a pub server full.

If Warpath were an official map, it would probably be the most popular 5cp map - not because it's a particularly well-designed map, but because rounds can go on for a long time even if the teams are fairly lopsided.

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:33 am

Looking throughout the thread again, I can't find anyone really objecting to the layout change. Most of the discussion seems to center around maps... Are there any objections to switching it up?

Emily Brontësaurus
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Emily Brontësaurus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:00 pm

I would love to see a switchup for sure. If Doublecross and Turbine were swapped out, I wouldn't complain. :)
Emily Brontësaurus | Jane Austentatious | [Hell] Eclipse

she was sinister but she was happy / and you can't say that of everybody, can you?

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:57 pm

+1 again for this proposed change. I don't seem to like the same maps that the majority of players do... but one thing's for sure is that TV7 stays seeded for ~2-3 maps then dies. This may be just the nature of what TF2 has become, being 7 years old, but I think even just re-arranging the current list might be a good idea. See if players will keep rotating in and keep the server alive.

Also shortening the rotation can help as players who return to the server begin to learn the rotation. Other server group's rotations are either all the maps or much shorter with option to vote for any map.

Just what the heavy hitters are and put them every 2-3 maps, maybe reduce the list entirely.

Rumps
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Rumps » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:22 am

i support any thread that supports more frequent tv7 refreshing. i still long for the days that we did a regular vote on map rotation, with a few changes every 3-4 months. Sure, there are more people leaving tf2, but I still see a lot of old regs still popping in for a map or 2. It would be great if the voices of us who call tv7 home had a little more impact on change.

kallous
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kallous » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:05 am

"A good plan executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton

I say give it a go and see what develops.
"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all." - Peter Drucker

Oddjob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Oddjob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:51 pm

It seems like everyone really enjoyed KOTH Harvest last time I played on it. Might be worth working another KOTH map into the rotation.

KOTH stock maps that look pretty nice

Kong King https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Kong_King
Viaduct https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Viaduct

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:15 pm

+1 for Viaduct. I love that map.

But what the heck is Kong King? That's official? I've never heard of it.
2013 Ville Cup- GOD (Group of Drunks) 2nd Place
2014 Ville Cup- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent 3rd place

Oddjob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Oddjob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Looked cool from the screenshot. It was listed on the TF2 wiki as an official map released August 10, 2012.

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:47 pm

Unfortunately, Kong King isn't that great and if I recall correctly, I remember it not filling well at all.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent