belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

TV7 Order Change Ideas

Post by belak » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:31 pm

The current order seems to have some trouble. A few of the maps, in particularly right after each other, end up being quite weak.

It would also be nice to remove gravelpit, possibly replace it with cp_coldfront.

This is the new proposed order:

pl_thundermountain
cp_foundry
pl_badwater
ctf_doublecross
pl_goldrush
cp_coldfront
pl_barnblitz
ctf_turbine
pl_frontier_final
cp_dustbowl
koth_harvest_final
pl_upward

Questions, comments, snide remarks?

LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Order Change Ideas

Post by LonelyTentacle » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:09 pm

I fully endorse the proposal to adjust the rotation order. At current there are too many long maps together and lesser sought maps bunched as well. I like the alternation of this rotation and it gives a good flavor throughout the order.

I would also like to see coldfront added to the rotation. I think its one of the better cp maps in the game, and it gets a nice following in most public servers. I'd be fine with gravelpit out of the rotation. I was actually one who supported its inclusion previously. I like gravelpit, its a fun map, but most of the time nobody goes for objectives and just rambos around. Of the times its come up on the rotation that I've been on with people, it goes nowhere fast. Not even about player drops, just the playability is always low :(. So as someone who is parked onto tf2 servers for way too many hours, I fully endorse prop coldfront.

I would also like to suggest a change in time interval for maps. To be blunt a lot last too long and people leave due to the attrition of the games taking forever. It is especially painful for payload maps that go on for 4 total rounds. By that time, even if the greatest map in history is next, they start to bail from seeing the same thing for an hour. Ideally payloads should go 2 rounds (each side gets offense/defense) which is a good chunk of time spent. CTF/CP makes should end after 3 rounds as opposed to 5 or 3 wins. Map timelimit can be 35 instead of 45. This all helps for faster overturns, less attrition, and the server goes through the rotation a lot faster. Right now sometimes even if you are on for 4 hours, you'll see only 3 maps before the server dies because of how long some payloads take.

LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LonelyTentacle » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:09 pm

Also potato should be forced to play instead of specing. We deserve the right to stab him as much as possible! No avoiding fate potato!

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:16 am

+1 this I love gravelpit but clearly the community of players doesn't seem to.

Also -1 potato and spectator seed points, but at least there's an admin in there.

Rumps
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Rumps » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:49 am

I like it!

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:14 am

My own experience is that, although people complain about gravelpit, it does seem to do reasonably well on the server. It's certainly no badwater, but I'd probably place it in the top half of the maps there in terms of attracting players. Actually, I think what it tends to do is drive some players away while attracting others. A good number of people leave, but a good number of people also join.

Coldfront is a good map and, as far as 5cp maps go, pretty popular. Whether it's better or worse than gravelpit in terms of popularity, I'm not sure.

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:49 am

I personally think we should put another KOTH map in there. Either Lakeside or Viaduct, unoriginal I know, but people like those maps as far as I know.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LonelyTentacle » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:03 pm

black_and_blue wrote:My own experience is that, although people complain about gravelpit, it does seem to do reasonably well on the server. It's certainly no badwater, but I'd probably place it in the top half of the maps there in terms of attracting players. Actually, I think what it tends to do is drive some players away while attracting others. A good number of people leave, but a good number of people also join.

Coldfront is a good map and, as far as 5cp maps go, pretty popular. Whether it's better or worse than gravelpit in terms of popularity, I'm not sure.
The problem isn't that it drives people away, its that there is seldom a fun gaming experience on that map since its been added. Either both sides cap in seconds, or one team never caps B. Again, love the map, just doesn't seem to yield many good games so far. Coldfront is a lot more fluid so its an easier play through for most people.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:41 pm

THE Flying chihuahua wrote:I personally think we should put another KOTH map in there. Either Lakeside or Viaduct, unoriginal I know, but people like those maps as far as I know.
+1 for KoTH. Lakeside, viaduct, and harvest would be neat, though KoTH doesn't fill up as fast.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:11 am

I'm not sure I'm ready to see two koth maps on the rotation. Historically, they haven't done well on the server. Harvest has been doing OK, but it is by far the most popular KOTH.

LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LonelyTentacle » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:27 am

Larry wrote:
THE Flying chihuahua wrote:I personally think we should put another KOTH map in there. Either Lakeside or Viaduct, unoriginal I know, but people like those maps as far as I know.
+1 for KoTH. Lakeside, viaduct, and harvest would be neat, though KoTH doesn't fill up as fast.
We actually have Koth_Harvest on tv7 already Larry! We usually have a lot of people on for it when it comes up on the rotation.

Though I wouldn't object to 2 koth maps, I like having one and maybe alternating which koth we run every so often to keep things from getting stale. Its been a nice change of pace having one in the rotation though.

Still back to the main point. Rotation order would be a nice change. Coldfront as a chirstmas bonus would be doubly good! Timelimit change would make me think Stevo is Santa's reincarnation

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:30 am

Timelimit change could be OK once the server gets going, but during the initial seed it can kill. A map change when the server has 12 people on it is deadly. If we only had two rounds to seed on badwater, I think it would make the initial seed much harder to get the server going.

It's too bad we can't have different map change criteria depending on whether the server is just starting up or has been full for hours.

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:41 pm

black_and_blue wrote:Timelimit change could be OK once the server gets going, but during the initial seed it can kill. A map change when the server has 12 people on it is deadly. If we only had two rounds to seed on badwater, I think it would make the initial seed much harder to get the server going.

It's too bad we can't have different map change criteria depending on whether the server is just starting up or has been full for hours.
Well, we can if an admin's on. :) You can temporarily increase the limit for that map, like is sometimes done for seeding anyway.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:03 pm

belak wrote:
black_and_blue wrote:Timelimit change could be OK once the server gets going, but during the initial seed it can kill. A map change when the server has 12 people on it is deadly. If we only had two rounds to seed on badwater, I think it would make the initial seed much harder to get the server going.

Well, we can if an admin's on. :) You can temporarily increase the limit for that map, like is sometimes done for seeding anyway.
I can increase the time limit, but not the number of rounds.

Man In A Mask
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Man In A Mask » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:44 am

Personally I think there are worst options than gravel pit to remove to make room for cold front. Why not say foundry? Could be the time it comes on but it almost always kills the server from what Ive seen. Then we are just replacing a 5cp with another 5cp.

And would having 2 koth maps be noticed as much if they are spaced apart? Throw on at the beginning/end and one in the middle.