REALLY need a way to scramble server

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
The_Fly
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

REALLY need a way to scramble server

Post by The_Fly » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:28 pm

Just had to scream at team (sorry for that btw.) and then rage quit. 9 players on blue, two scouts and two snipers all sitting with <5 points on the bottom of the server. I'm a medic upstairs with an uber, asking for anyone to get upstairs with <1min left to play. I finally with 11 secs ask the ENGINEER to go with me. I am ready to put money down and become a donator, but being able to play for 15min because I'm literally surrounded by noobs with no decent players is really frustrating. I love the ville 24/7 dustbowl server. But something needs to give.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: REALLY need a way to scramble server

Post by Bronze Fox » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm

As someone who has been frequenting the Ville for the last 5+ years I can safely say you're not the first to ask for a scramble feature. While I'm not personally an admin, I know the philosophy of the people who run the servers and team scrambling won't become an option. Sorry

The reasoning is the same as why there's no votekick, voteban, rtv, etc. We know those privileges are easily abused, and will be abused if added to the server. As for the second part of your post, I have a very biased opinion that I love to share. Once TF2 become F2P the average skill level dropped tremendously, and it has never since recovered. I'm also fairly certain our servers are Quickplay enabled so basically you can join the server by clicking two buttons on the main menu. Any server that has Quickplay always attracts the newbies, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

In summary, no scramble, sorry, and lots of n00bs since 2011.

On an unrelated note, welcome to the forums!

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:49 pm

We often have very skilled and team oriented players on TV6... but not always. There's always going to be new and less skilled players on any pub server, and they are as welcome as any other on our servers. Scramble is a feature too easy to be abused and will not be implemented.

Sorry you had a bad experience but at the end of the day it's just a game, if it's getting to you too much maybe it's best to take a break to avoid further outbursts.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Fly, welcome back to the forums, I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience tonight. As Carpe mentioned, a publicly available scramble feature has been discussed numerous times over the years and there are no plans to implement one. Admins have access to scramble the server but rarely ever do we see a need to use it.

One small point of clarification is that we do NOT have any servers QuickPlay enabled at this time. The use of our Reserved Slot function for supporters prohibits us from joining the QP pool.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Flash wrote:One small point of clarification is that we do NOT have any servers QuickPlay enabled at this time. The use of our Reserved Slot function for supporters prohibits us from joining the QP pool.
Ah, whoops. I know we've gone back and forth over the years and just mixed it.

My bad.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Bronze Fox wrote:
Flash wrote:One small point of clarification is that we do NOT have any servers QuickPlay enabled at this time. The use of our Reserved Slot function for supporters prohibits us from joining the QP pool.
Ah, whoops. I know we've gone back and forth over the years and just mixed it.

My bad.
No worries, you are correct that it has flip-flopped in the past.

Kujako
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Kujako » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Seems to me that some people will stack the teams no mater how often they get shuffled, just learn to accept it and move on when it gets to be too dull. With luck enough people will get tired of it and switch to the under staffed team to make things interesting from time to time.

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:46 pm

I like to play on Dustbowl sometimes on Saturday mornings. This has two effects.

1. I feel like an unstoppable God who...can't....be......... stopped?
2. It makes you appreciate the level of skill and teamwork displayed on any random night on the server.

Seriously thou, go play the lowest skill random pub type servers you can find for a bit and you will appreciate our servers more.

Perhaps even more seriously, the problem is on a semi regular basis you get a very high level of play on the Dustbowl server, only to be disappointed on a more regular basis that the skill level doesn't remain high.

And this is coming from a Warpath snob who remembers the good old days of a full Warpath server every single night.

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Eh dustbowl has its moments when you're just surrounded with people who are dumb and stubborn as hell (Mostly F2Ps, no offence) or people like me who just go
Herpaderp ama go play w/e I want idc bout winning.
But at least theville servers have this moments less often than say a skial or random pub server, as what Blunty said. As for the !votekick or !voteban, if a group of people have a grudge on you, you're kinda screwed. In addition, I'd get banned within seconds for doing punch heavy. Just drink tea, keep calm, and move along.
...Seriously thou, I'd get banned from theville by others for the numerous shenanigans I've done whenever I played...or get claimed to be a hacker. Happened before in a skial server. :3

lyn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by lyn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:11 pm

I know how frustrating it can be to be on the noob team, especially on the Dustbowl server. If I see a team getting destroyed, I like to jump ship and try to help them out. Most of the time another regular will switch as well but it's not always the case.. sadly. I respect regulars with a higher skill level that switch teams to even them out and others need to take note and try and follow in their shoes.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 am

Also, if you find yourself in a situation that you think regs or rando's are stacking, make sure you have some of these folks: memberlist.php?mode=group&g=45 on your friends list. Hit us up, we are here to assist in any server issue.
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:47 am

The problem is that it's hard to tell if teams are genuinely stacked, or if one team just has a bad composition.

Another problem is that people really like to spam the votescramble function. Lost one round? Votescramble.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Acedeuce
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Acedeuce » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 am

Let me echo Supreveio on that. Of course like the rest I've had this too, and I go from being frustrated to appreciating the challenge of beating a horde of better players, or at least pushing them back basically on my own(or so it feels). I think sometimes the hardest is when you've been losing for several rounds and expect instant balance if you see regulars come in, which also doesn't always happen. For the new joining players it's not always obvious an imbalance is there. The score may not reflect it, they may know stage 1 just finished which we know doesn't mean much, or, whatever. Try not to be too hard on them not fixing your problems ;)

The thing to keep in mind is what everyone said. On average you'll get more high quality, good competitive games on theville.

The_Fly
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Post by The_Fly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 am

Sorry you had a bad experience but at the end of the day it's just a game, if it's getting to you too much maybe it's best to take a break to avoid further outbursts.
Which is why I left. After a nice night at work I realized I should have just done what the noobs where doing. Switch to a lame class and just goof off. My "problem" is I work 5 days a week at night and the server is dead between 7-10am PST so my only chance to play was getting shredded by people who were clueless on how to play.
Admins have access to scramble the server but rarely ever do we see a need to use it.
I'll admit, I've been playing on this server without paying a LONG time. I think since the game has come out, or a few months/a year after that. I know, a long time to not pay. As I said I've been thinking alot about donating. Mostly to not have to wait to play. I usually start trying to get in around 7pm, and some nights I'm not playing until 7:20. Much to long to sit and stare at the screen while eating breakfast. If I can donate, support my favorite server, AND get to "cut in line", then I'm all for it. My next question would be if I called (?) for a scramble, how much trouble would I get into?
Seems to me that some people will stack the teams no mater how often they get shuffled
Something I've noticed as well. I've wondered why the Ville "admin" messages tell us to not stack "by clan or ability". Would seem to me that should be dropped, as most players don't worry about it.
Lost one round? Votescramble.
Was more then one. The "worst" was that on defense as soon as I died, they would cap the first and second point before or just as I re-spawned. More then once this happened. Not that I was killing a lot before I died. But I don't think I was alive/anywhere near the second point the entire game.
go play the lowest skill random pub type servers you can find for a bit and you will appreciate our servers more.
I have a server on my history list where I go play when I want to be god. Hasn't failed yet. I love Ville. 99% of the time I have a great time. I'm nearly sorry I made this thread. Just pissed I had to uber an engineer after holding it for ~1min because he was the best I could find. Hopefully tonight will go better. Just trying to stay on top of wasp and catch devilish. (and at <1hr per day that isn't easy.)

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 am

The_Fly wrote:My next question would be if I called (?) for a scramble, how much trouble would I get into?
A moot point, supporters do not get that ability.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS