TV7 Refresh

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin
User avatar
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by black_and_blue » Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 pm

jettah wrote:In my experience,
5CP maps kill TV7
process and foundry seem to be the most common offenders presently during my time on.

Foundry is cool because of the achievements specifically tied to the map that a lot of players might be looking for. But it does tend to kill the server, especially with unbalanced teams.
While I tend to agree that 5cp maps do tend to kill TV7, I disagree that foundry is the worst culprit. I'd actually say that, as far as 5cp maps go, it's probably the least damaging, with granary in a close second.

When Foundry has killed the server, I've usually thought it had more to do with the fact that it is immediately following dustbowl, and people leave when the server changes away from dustbowl than anything else.

I agree with you with regards to process, although I'd say snakewater kills it more.

ADevilishPotato
Server Admin
Server Admin
User avatar
Posts: 5131
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:42 am
Location: Where my feet are

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sat May 31, 2014 5:52 pm

black_and_blue wrote:
jettah wrote:In my experience,
5CP maps kill TV7
process and foundry seem to be the most common offenders presently during my time on.

Foundry is cool because of the achievements specifically tied to the map that a lot of players might be looking for. But it does tend to kill the server, especially with unbalanced teams.
While I tend to agree that 5cp maps do tend to kill TV7, I disagree that foundry is the worst culprit. I'd actually say that, as far as 5cp maps go, it's probably the least damaging, with granary in a close second.

When Foundry has killed the server, I've usually thought it had more to do with the fact that it is immediately following dustbowl, and people leave when the server changes away from dustbowl than anything else.

I agree with you with regards to process, although I'd say snakewater kills it more.
+1
Image

WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

jettah
Villun
Villun
User avatar
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Games Played

Ville Awards

jettah’s avatar
Loading…

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by jettah » Sat May 31, 2014 6:09 pm

I agree, could have more to do with the actual order of the maps. The maps preceding do seem to play a factor in keeping the server pop up.
Image

Rumps
Villun
Villun
Posts: 380
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:29 am

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by Rumps » Sat May 31, 2014 7:08 pm

jettah wrote:I agree, could have more to do with the actual order of the maps. The maps preceding do seem to play a factor in keeping the server pop up.

Yep usually after an awesome badwater or dustbowl run, even if its another pl map, once like 4-5 people quit, it can become a mass exodus. Even so it would probably be good to try to have favorable maps as followups to badwater and dustbowl, especially because they are seeder maps as well.
Last edited by Rumps on Sat May 31, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin
User avatar
Posts: 2840
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario

Games Played

Ville Awards

Domer’s avatar
Loading…

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by The Domer » Sat May 31, 2014 8:45 pm

I've noticed that Foundry tends to be pretty popular actually, as far as 5cp maps go. Process and Snakewater are really great maps, but I think they are less popular than the tried and true older maps that everyone loves, like dustbowl and badwater.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun
User avatar
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by Cat Square » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:05 pm

I love cp_junction, but I also love Egypt and hydro.

Does tv7 ever run customs? I wonder if warpath would work in the rotation

corkscrew_1
New Villun
New Villun
User avatar
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Games Played

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by corkscrew_1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:35 pm

Although I've been gone for a while, I have to say the prospect of dropping the 5 CP maps and the seeming support for it is pretty unnerving. The main reason I even started frequenting the Ville was because it had these maps which were hard to find on other pubs. I've always preferred them because they felt more competitive (admittedly only if they were balanced, which they often weren't) and made TV7 stand out from the rest.

I don't know, though. Things might have changed while I was gone.
Image

Insane
Villun
Villun
User avatar
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Games Played

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by Insane » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:56 am

Foundry has quickly become one of my favorite 5cp maps. I'm sure others here hate it, but I can't think of one I would want on the rotation more than that.
Image

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin
User avatar
Posts: 8497
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 11:23 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Games Played

Ville Awards

Plinko’s avatar
Loading…

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by Plinko » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:36 am

Nothing would kill TV7 faster than running a custom map, even warpath, unfortunately.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius
Image

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin
User avatar
Posts: 2840
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario

Games Played

Ville Awards

Domer’s avatar
Loading…

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by The Domer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 am

corkscrew_1 wrote:Although I've been gone for a while, I have to say the prospect of dropping the 5 CP maps and the seeming support for it is pretty unnerving. The main reason I even started frequenting the Ville was because it had these maps which were hard to find on other pubs. I've always preferred them because they felt more competitive (admittedly only if they were balanced, which they often weren't) and made TV7 stand out from the rest.

I don't know, though. Things might have changed while I was gone.
5cp won't be going anywhere so long as I have any say on the matter!

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Ladera Ranch, Ca

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 am

Process has really begun to grow on me as one of my favorite maps. We've had some really good games on it the past couple nights. In fact Friday or Saturday night we had a very large group of the old regulars on all at once. Seemed liked we were only missing Ohnoes and Bishop!

Any of the less common/popular maps that come on after a long battle late at night are likely to kill the server, but not always. I've seen us go to badlands after a long back and forth and most people are just done at that point, so they call it a night. SOmetimes I can save things by moving the map to a better seeder, but often it is just that time.
Image
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!


Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Rumps
Villun
Villun
Posts: 380
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:29 am

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by Rumps » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:26 pm

I think this thread started in a quest to refresh the maps, not make it PL, CP, or CTF only server; just to continue a good, wide variety of maps by swapping out a map or two.
Since the Cup includes a bunch of these maps, I would presume that there probably won't be a rotation change until after the Cup. I've noticed more server fullness lately even on weekday nights, probably due to Cup practice and also since summer is upon us, the server seems to be busier with the likes of some folks who have been busy studying!
Last edited by Rumps on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Ladera Ranch, Ca

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Getting back to changing a map or two out, I would remove granary and bring back something we haven't had in a while. Coldfront? Fastlane? Freight?
Image
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!


Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

jettah
Villun
Villun
User avatar
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Games Played

Ville Awards

jettah’s avatar
Loading…

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by jettah » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I am totally in favor of 5cp maps. Just an observation that they typically are the maps where people don't stick around.

Is there a CTF map on the rotation at all?
Image

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Ladera Ranch, Ca

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV7 Refresh

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 pm

No. We had one in the rotation (usually doublecross or turbine). The general thought was people didn't really like them much and they were voted out a while back.
Image
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!


Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest