Moving on with or without tf2

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2

Do you feel the same way as I do for tf2?

yes, I will be playing tf2 as the years go by
69%
No, I will one day move on with my life without tf2
22%
Jeez, after 1 day of not playing tf2, you're already sentimental
9%

Total votes: 54

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Moving on with or without tf2

Post by InBOUND HD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:30 am

At one point or another team fortress 2 will become a thing of the past, but as far as I know, I plan on sticking with tf2 all the way until the ride is over. The experiences I've had from playing this game and the amazing people I've met here at the ville have given me no reason at all to abandon tf2 in the future. However, I know that for some people tf2 will become a memory, and eventually people will move on with their lives. I don't see myself in the next couple of years dropping tf2, but I feel like there will come a time when those I've known in the ville will stop and go on without tf2. Honestly, I hate to see that happen, but at the same time I understand that sometimes life goes on. So basically, do you guys feel like in the future you will stop playing tf2 and move on, or will you be playing it for the rest of your days until the ride is over?

Garrett
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Moving on with or without tf2

Post by Garrett » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 am

That's a tough call to make. At first, I figured that it would obvious that like any other game and I would eventually stop playing and move on to something down the line. But I've been playing TF2 since release over 6 years ago, longer than any other competitive multiplayer game I've played. It made me think why I've stuck with TF2 for so long.

First, I like how the class based gameplay encourages teamwork and cooperation. Most multiplayer shooters I've played beside TF2 are a bit too lone wolf, jack-of-all-trades gunman-esque for me. In TF2, you can pick whatever role you like and support the team in your own way. Whether you're providing the defensive backbone with the Engineer's sentry, keeping the team alive as Medic, or capping the intel as Scout, every role is important.

Second, I like the game's charm. Each mercenary has their own personality and backstory as well as unique voice lines which help to flesh out the characters. Furthermore, the game is filled with strange and unique weapons that make TF2 more interesting than your average shooter. What other FPS lets you charge in with a sword and shield or throw urine at your enemies?

Finally (and probably most importantly), I like this game because of the online community, specifically the Ville. Everyone is friendly to one another and teamwork and cooperation are more important than winning here. One rarely has to worry about offensive players or hackers because the admins are ever vigilant. This is in sharp contrast to the experiences I've had on other servers and in different games. I think that if I hadn't found the Ville, I wouldn't still be playing TF2.

I may stop playing TF2 some day, but as long as there are still villuns playing it, I'll be right there with them.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:06 am

I've mostly already moved on from TF2. I still hop in and play time to time, to stay on top of changes for admin purposes or if there are large numbers of other Villuns on, but I feel like the exceedingly well-crafted game that was released by Valve is no longer present, replaced by an imbalanced mess of blatant profit-hording and tie-ins. They do still produce some of the best game lore and backstory ever, and they have a scarily good grasp of gamer psychology (which they play to constantly), but I just don't like the game itself any more.

TF2 is what... perhaps the fifth in the cycle of "main games" we've had here? TFC, DOD, DOD:S, and maybe Counterstrike? (I don't recall for sure). TF2 has served us very well, but I look forward to the next step, when we can have a fresh game and a fresh experience. The people, the community, and the environment are what I'm here for, and I don't imagine that will change significantly as we move on to the next game.
-Boss Llama

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:12 am

I still love it, but i'm also anticipating the next big thing to come out and wondering when and if it will come out
Thanks Sparky

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:35 am

Alizée Fan wrote:I've mostly already moved on from TF2. I still hop in and play time to time, to stay on top of changes for admin purposes or if there are large numbers of other Villuns on, but I feel like the exceedingly well-crafted game that was released by Valve is no longer present, replaced by an imbalanced mess of blatant profit-hording and tie-ins. They do still produce some of the best game lore and backstory ever, and they have a scarily good grasp of gamer psychology (which they play to constantly), but I just don't like the game itself any more.

TF2 is what... perhaps the fifth in the cycle of "main games" we've had here? TFC, DOD, DOD:S, and maybe Counterstrike? (I don't recall for sure). TF2 has served us very well, but I look forward to the next step, when we can have a fresh game and a fresh experience. The people, the community, and the environment are what I'm here for, and I don't imagine that will change significantly as we move on to the next game.
Well spoken sir; that is why I stole your thoughts and used them as mine as well.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:53 am

I'm pretty much of the same mind as AF when it comes to TF2. I didn't mind when it seemed like Valve was carefully updating each class on a one by one basis and everything sort of fit inside the feel of the game. Now though...whatever, just let the fans make the content. And while I think it's great that they have given those creators a cut of the profits, their game has suffered because of it. It can still be fun with the right group of people, but I don't really go out of my way to play it anymore.

Regardless of my thoughts on TF2 though, nowadays I find myself binging on a game for a few weeks before burning out on it and then moving to another one. My days of just playing one game are mostly over.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:06 am

I'm playing as much, if not more, TF2 than I ever have. I am sure something will come along to supplant it, but I don't see anything imminent.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:10 am

I would love to see something else take over as the "main game", I'm a bit tired of TF2.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:53 am

The only reason my TF2 play has slowed down is because I don't have as much time anymore. I was bored of the game for a while, but then I got into competitive TF2, which totally rejuvenated my love of the game. I don't really play competitively anymore due to the aforementioned lack of time, but I still feel a draw to the game.

I'm curious what the next big Ville game will be. TF2 hasn't really shown signs of slowing, and L4D2 lobbies still go up every night. A few games came and went (NS2, Chivarly, CS:G0, just to name a few), butour main games (TF2, Minecraft, L4DOD) haven't changed. Will it take the next round of Valve games being released (assuming they do)? Or will some third-party game totally wow the community and majorly shift our focus? I'm not sure.

But, I am still content with TF2 and will keep playing for the foreseeable future.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:42 am

I haven't played TF2 regularly for well over a year now. I started to slow down in my play when I came back from a self-imposed ten-month hiatus in 2010, after which I just wasn't as interested in the game anymore. By the end of 2012, I might play one round a week, if even that. I've played two 30-minute sessions in the past month, which is probably more than I played in all of the last quarter of 2013. :P

As others have said, I think Valve have sort of fallen into what I call "the F2P trap" - their game is so ridiculously profitable that they realized the cash will flow in regardless of whether or not they actually continue pouring the same time and care into the game that they have since launch. With the community flooding the workshop with hats, they've successfully outsourced their entire content-creation process (and managed to create a disturbing dilemma along the way - teenage item-makers [several of Valve's favorite workshop contributors - and they do play blatant favorites - are confirmed 18 and under] get paid five and even SIX figures annually for making a single 3D model in four hours and doing nothing else afterward while other, adult people who work multiple "real jobs" every day of their lives don't even get enough to survive on... it makes you think). Without the need to constantly pump out content themselves to stay popular, they stopped doing so. The game is a zombie, but it is popular enough that it won't die for a long while so long as they continue to every so often pour a dump-truck of community content at a time into it.

The best things I can say about it are:
- Creating workshop items has taught me enough about 3D modeling that I can apply it to other projects.
- The easy availability of the Hammer level editor has allowed me to learn a lot about level design.

And of course ...
- The game is the reason I found the Ville! :)

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:07 am

hmm I have to complain to the person who created this poll, the options are not mutually exclusive. Since I cannot select A and B, and question C is irrelevant to the inquiry, I shall abstain from voting. I plan to play TF2 for many years to come, however there will come a day when there are so few people left playing the game in the world that no more servers will be hosting said game. As technology and gaming advances, this is just the way things go. It may be decades down the road, but it will eventually happen (even if this is not the case, in approx. one tredecillion to one googol years the universe will cease to have any workable energy left and then gaming and everything else will really be at an end). Therefore, this survey is bunk and unreliable!

This message is brought to you by semantics! :D
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:00 pm

ADevilishPotato wrote:hmm I have to complain to the person who created this poll, the options are not mutually exclusive. Since I cannot select A and B, and question C is irrelevant to the inquiry, I shall abstain from voting. I plan to play TF2 for many years to come, however there will come a day when there are so few people left playing the game in the world that no more servers will be hosting said game. As technology and gaming advances, this is just the way things go. It may be decades down the road, but it will eventually happen (even if this is not the case, in approx. one tredecillion to one googol years the universe will cease to have any workable energy left and then gaming and everything else will really be at an end). Therefore, this survey is bunk and unreliable!

This message is brought to you by semantics! :D
You're making a lot of base assumptions. This message brought to you by alternate dimensions.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:01 pm

The Domer wrote: You're making a lot of base assumptions. This message brought to you by alternate dimensions.
Curses, foiled again by Infinity and it's alternate dimensions! Well going with THIS and and only this dimension's reality, my claim still holds...
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:40 pm

I still enjoy playing TF2. Nothing like a hard fought (2 hour) battle on Warpath or holding Dustbowl stage 3 until the very end! Maybe it is because I don't get to play as much as I'd like that leaves me wanting more.

I figured I'll continue playing TF2 regularly as long as it is played here at The VIlle. When the time comes that the community moves on to another primary game I imagine my playtime will shift along with it.

F13ND
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by F13ND » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 pm

What I like about TF2 is the massive difference in playstyle of each of the classes which, AFAIK, no other fps really has. It makes the gameplay a whole lot more interesting than the classic "whoever has better reactions wins" motif of most fpss. That's mostly what keeps me playing.
Thanks Sparky!