Moving on with or without tf2

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2

Do you feel the same way as I do for tf2?

yes, I will be playing tf2 as the years go by
69%
No, I will one day move on with my life without tf2
22%
Jeez, after 1 day of not playing tf2, you're already sentimental
9%

Total votes: 54

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Moving on with or without tf2

Post by jettah » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Not going anywhere for the forseeable future, but games do come and go that often draw away my attention for many hours, or even months.

3 years ago when I met my current girlfriend she introduced to the world of MMORPG, Specifically Aion. I became addicted to the game, but still balanced time between tf2 and it. Later, devoting all of my free gaming time to Aion. I reached a point in the game where it became clear that the game had nothing to do with skill and everything to do with gear, and time spent playing. The game lost its appeal and I tapered off playing until I was finally able to quit it over 6 months ago and never look back.

Tf2 was always a happy place. The cartoon FPS atmosphere where quick reflexes, working as a team and the desire to shoot someone always gave me joy. Tf2 will continue to be my primary stress outlet until the game dies out and Valve releases something new and great. Judging by how long I have been playing TF2 and the strength is still has, I think I have a while left with this wonderful game.

I do agree that when it went Free to play and everything became about hats, that the game got a little corrupted. I admit to trading many of my hard earned dollars for a pretty set of ones and zeros worn on my head, or a strange weapon that counts my kills. I compare it to having a hobby with any game. If I played basketball every weekend, I would need some basketball shoes, a ball and some proper attire.

I don't think I will ever tire of this game, and I hope to see as many of you as possible stick around for all of the fragging to come!

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm

I probably won't stop playing TF2 until one of two things happen:

1. They make Team Fortress 3 or something along those lines
2. A massive power creep hits, rendering the game unenjoyable

Or possibly 3, all the active servers are and/or contain any of the following:
- Are populated entirely by bots
- Run terrible, gimmicky, or orange-textured custom maps exclusively
- Are all-crit or have other mods that remove skill from the game (RTD, "premium", etc.)
- Are hosted on Jupiter, giving everyone that isn't from some obscure eastern European country a ping in the four-digits
- Replaces all the classes with low-quality, poorly-optimized Pony/Furry/Touhou/Homestuck/pretty much anything not TF2-related models that take up more space on your hard drive than the game itself does
- Force you to watch an obnoxious advertisement when you join the game, are in the process of respawning, or whenever the hell they feel like shoving an ad in your face so you can't actually play the game
- Have Unreal Tournament sound bytes that play whenever something mundane happens (HEADSHOT! DOUBLE KILL! MONSTER KILL!)
- Have stupid messages that flash in the middle of your screen with the Unreal Tournament sounds (and sometimes on their own without a sound effect!)

I think you get the gist of it.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Warning: some language
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:48 am

I played Tf2 around the time Meet The Pyro came out. So far, I have about 2.3k hours in Tf2, yet the majority of my time was when I first played. Currently, the only thing pushing me forward to play Tf2 is this community. I've already reached my goal of getting better at being a scoot after the villecup. Basically, I'll keep playing Tf2 as long as other friends play it too.
Kept my reply short and simple :3

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:28 am

moved on several years ago...I don't get sentimental about games..generally...i still dwell on the good old days of WoW Vanilla and Pre 1.3 DoD (boxes with sticks!) though
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 am

TF2's throne is un-usurpable! The only thing that can supplant this king is his rightful heir: TF3.

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by darklin0 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 pm

For now I can't play, my bad internet makes me all mopey and junk. One day I will have good internet service and that day I will return.
Queen of the We Hate Mateo Club. Co-Captain: Zookie
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:29 pm

I've been out of TF2 for about a year or so now. Super MNC was the first game to hold my attention to such an extent that it broke my infatuation with TF2. SMNC has since come and gone and other games have filled it's void (such as Awesomenauts and DayZ), and I cannot seem to draw the same enjoyment from TF2 that I used to. I play every once in a while now and generally I get bored within an hour. It's an unusual feeling considering I could play TF2 for hours upon hours a day just a couple years ago, but of course things change. I wouldn't trade my time playing TF2 nor the people I met through it, I remain protective and sentimental over my extensive backpack, and I will continue to consider it one my favorite games of all time, but I think my time of seriously playing it has long passed.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:58 pm

TheCarpe wrote:I've been out of TF2 for about a year or so now. Super MNC was the first game to hold my attention to such an extent that it broke my infatuation with TF2. SMNC has since come and gone and other games have filled it's void (such as Awesomenauts and DayZ), and I cannot seem to draw the same enjoyment from TF2 that I used to. I play every once in a while now and generally I get bored within an hour. It's an unusual feeling considering I could play TF2 for hours upon hours a day just a couple years ago, but of course things change. I wouldn't trade my time playing TF2 nor the people I met through it, I remain protective and sentimental over my extensive backpack, and I will continue to consider it one my favorite games of all time, but I think my time of seriously playing it has long passed.
Pretty much this.

I'll say to everyone who's claiming undying love towards TF2 - at least give some other games a shot. If you're spending money on cosmetic items, maybe save $10 of that to try a MP game like Awesomenauts. With a group of friends, damn near every game can be fun times no matter how bad the game actually is (See: Zero Gear)
I am the 1%!

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by InBOUND HD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Masakari wrote:
TheCarpe wrote:I've been out of TF2 for about a year or so now. Super MNC was the first game to hold my attention to such an extent that it broke my infatuation with TF2. SMNC has since come and gone and other games have filled it's void (such as Awesomenauts and DayZ), and I cannot seem to draw the same enjoyment from TF2 that I used to. I play every once in a while now and generally I get bored within an hour. It's an unusual feeling considering I could play TF2 for hours upon hours a day just a couple years ago, but of course things change. I wouldn't trade my time playing TF2 nor the people I met through it, I remain protective and sentimental over my extensive backpack, and I will continue to consider it one my favorite games of all time, but I think my time of seriously playing it has long passed.
Pretty much this.

I'll say to everyone who's claiming undying love towards TF2 - at least give some other games a shot. If you're spending money on cosmetic items, maybe save $10 of that to try a MP game like Awesomenauts. With a group of friends, damn near every game can be fun times no matter how bad the game actually is (See: Zero Gear)
Totally agree. I don't mean to say that i am so commited to tf2 that i see other games as unviable, but to me whenever i get mad at dying 20 times in CS GO or being stuck in elo hell in League of Legends, i find tf2 to be a place for me to relax and have fun. I also agree that it is way better to spend money on buying other games like Payday 2 insead of spending almost a fortune just on cosmetics.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Masakari wrote:I'll say to everyone who's claiming undying love towards TF2 - at least give some other games a shot. If you're spending money on cosmetic items, maybe save $10 of that to try a MP game like Awesomenauts. With a group of friends, damn near every game can be fun times no matter how bad the game actually is (See: Zero Gear)
im just not interested in other games. i used to be a gamer in the sense that id buy new pc games and try everything that came out, but ive never had gaming satisfaction like i have with tf2. i probably have more hours logged in tf2 than every other game ive ever played combined.
id rather just donate my 15 bucks every three months to this community than buy anything new, tf2+theville=gaming heaven

Fraulein Arztin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fraulein Arztin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

MvM got me even more addicted into playing tf2... I'll keep playing it forever and ever and ever and ever....
Also, tf2 is good for making friends. :)

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Forever's a pretty long time. Fact is, I don't see TF2 itself lasting forever.

I really like the game. It's already been more than 5 years since it came out. Its popularity has definitly dropped over the years - we used to be able to seed a full rotation server and acustoms server most days and keep both full even without regulars. As things stand now, we probably wouldn't be able to keep TV7 full if it weren't for quickplay.

The game's certainly not about to die tomorrow, and I have no plans to stop playing, but it just seems to me that it simply isn't possible that the game will last forever.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:57 pm

I suppose I'm part of the problem for some. I'm f2p. Or was. I don't have this nostalgic longing for a game that I never played. I've only ever known hats and to me, online gaming , TF2 and the Ville are synonymous. TF2 was my first online game, and if it wasn't for finding the VIlle quickly, likely would have been my last.

I play on a Mac. That generally has meant that I don't have many game options, and what I do have tends to come out much later than when the rest of you get it. I suppose I could do the bootcamp thing, but I really haven't needed a ton of games. Currently I only play 3 games (tf2, Lord of the Rings and Football Manager). Heck I think I have fewer games in my library than some people buy during the winter sale....

I'm sure tf2 will fade eventually. I certainly hope that whatever the Ville moves to is Mac friendly and is popular enough around here to keep my Villun friends around.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

BlueInGreen
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by BlueInGreen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:06 pm

I seem to play games until they are pretty much played out.

We played the Marathon series (early Bungie FPS) at work everyday until it quit working on our network.

Then I switched to Quake III Arena and I played it until all of the servers were gone or dead.

I played the Battlefield series up until BF3 but got tired of it because the developers never really changed the game -- they just updated the graphics (which I could care less about) and charged you for a new version and dropped the servers for the old versions.

Then, I discovered TF2... good game, mostly bug free (and bugs get fixed), the developers keep adding updates to keep it interesting, and the developers can keep updating it because they found a way to still make money from it (hats LOL). So, I'll probably keep playing as long as there are others to compete against.
Any sufficiently advanced player is indistinguishable from a cheater.