Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

For those curious about chem sets....

Post by Daryldime » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Ok so lets say you have a chem set (I didn't take a picture of every step sadly, should have :() First thing you wanna do is look at what the inputs are and acquire them(hardmode :P) Then once you have all the inputs you click on the Chem Set and click and drag the items to their matching holes, just like the crafting table. Once you click accept, those items will be destroyed.

Then this item will appear (different item as to what your output was set to be. Mine was camera beard)

So then you put it on like a name tag or description tag.

And viola! Strange Item completed!

Hope that answers a few questions... maybe?
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: For those curious about chem sets....

Post by Supreveio » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:50 pm

That Spy there is looking Unusually Strange today.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Chem sets aren't too expensive on the market http://steamcommunity.com/market/listin ... stry%20Set
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Daryldime wrote:Then once you have all the inputs you click on the Chem Set and click and drag the items to their matching holes, just like the crafting table. Once you click accept, those items will be destroyed.
...You need 2 copies of the item to make 1 of them Strange? Sounds expensive if you want certain hats/accessories Strange

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:55 pm

The Merc. scarf requires 18 hats. :o
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

wedge
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by wedge » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:05 pm

The strange items needed in the recipes are random so you can be required to get a strange shovel or a strange kritzkrieg.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Yeah, I got a Summer Shades one, which requires a strange festive ubersaw. . . I'd like to use it, but I'm not gonna buy and burn one to get it.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:37 pm

I found the villian's set and the merc pride set. Listed them on the market for about a buck each

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 pm

I'd rather just buy a Strangifier off the market for less than the price of a key; some of the requirements aren't worth it.

For example, they all seem to require either a Blood/Gold botkiller OR a first-run Strange Festive. Some require Strange items from discontinued Salvaged Crates, which some of these items are worth their weight in gold, especially now that there's a use for getting rid of them.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:20 pm

My summer shades set required a strange holy mackeral, so I sold it back...
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Ok, I went ahead and just bought the strangifier for my Demo's bird. It cost me about $2.30 on the market. I'm looking through some chemistry sets for the same strangifier, and it is far more cost effective to just buy the product. Here's why:

Some sets call for four copies of a hat that was introduced with the summer update. While the market's probably saturated with them, four of them is a bit excessive.
Some sets call for a Strange Kritzkrieg, the single most valuable weapon on the trade market which is worth slightly less than a Max Head (going by TF2WH's prices).
Some sets call for weapons unboxed from Salvaged Crates which are no longer in circulation. The rarity of those crates already drove up prices, but since the items are currently finite the prices will just go higher.
Some sets call for first-run Strange Festive weapons, which are worth exorbitant amounts in part due to the market not being around at the time. One set is looking for a minigun which is worth half as much as a Max Head.
Some sets call for Gold, Blood, or even Diamond botkiller weapons, which while they are not overly expensive, they are still fairly rare in themselves. If you were trying to get the pieces for a set without trading, a Gold, Blood or Diamond weapon could take a lot of time and money to simply earn.

Overall, the set's item requirements are generally fair. Several copies of junk weapons is normal among them and very few (save for the shades/scarf) require multiple hats. The problem comes in that you need one rare, overly expensive item to complete the set no matter what you pick. If you're hardset on building your own strangifiers, I say go with the sets that look for Botkiller weapons as their rare item as those will likely be the cheapest and easiest to get.

I don't know about you, but a strange hat isn't worth parting with my Strange Invis Watch.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

if I could strangify something for medic id never stop healing

prang
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by prang » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:18 pm

I picked up a strangifier for $0.80 the other day for my Sight for Sore Eyes. I'm now looking for a Gold botkiller rocket launcher and a Eureka Effect if anyone has one for trade. With my exceptional luck I just sold all my botkiller weapons on the market to buy tour tickets. 3 days later the chem sets came out and the prices have gone waaaaaay up.

The most important thing if you are looking at getting a chemistry set:

Browse through! Every chem set has individual requirements. If you want to strangify a specific item there will be dozens and dozens of chem sets you could get and each one of them has different requirements. Don't buy one that is going to require a diamond botkiller knife or a strange festive medi-gun. They all require 10 items to complete so check all the items listed and decide if its going to be worth your time.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:21 pm

prang wrote:Browse through! Every chem set has individual requirements. If you want to strangify a specific item there will be dozens and dozens of chem sets you could get and each one of them has different requirements. Don't buy one that is going to require a diamond botkiller knife or a strange festive medi-gun. They all require 10 items to complete so check all the items listed and decide if its going to be worth your time.
Despite that, I've found that every chem set has at least one big-ticket item. None of them will be cheap.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:33 pm

I find it odd that they have such big ticket items in them, I was hoping these could act as a sink for a lot of the "excess" lower-tier stranges out there.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius