A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
BlueInGreen
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Reevaluating the role of engie

Post by BlueInGreen » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:01 am

I've found the best way to take on the new short circuit is with fire. I just finished dominating an engineer using it by burning him over and over.

Sometimes, this game seems like "rock, paper, scissors" because every time they add or change something, it causes a change in strategy.
Any sufficiently advanced player is indistinguishable from a cheater.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:14 am

Guardian wrote:Alright guys, this is getting a bit silly:
Not good enough. The giant soldier in this video actually runs out of ammo before a single rocket lands.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:34 am

BlueInGreen wrote:I've found the best way to take on the new short circuit is with fire. I just finished dominating an engineer using it by burning him over and over.

Sometimes, this game seems like "rock, paper, scissors" because every time they add or change something, it causes a change in strategy.
I've been taking to meleeing the engineer. I actually bottled a sentry to death during an uber the other day because the engineer was slurping up all my explosives. Then, I bottled him over the head for good measure :D

Vi Deo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Vi Deo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:25 pm

The Domer wrote:
BlueInGreen wrote:I've found the best way to take on the new short circuit is with fire. I just finished dominating an engineer using it by burning him over and over.

I've been taking to meleeing the engineer. I actually bottled a sentry to death during an uber the other day because the engineer was slurping up all my explosives. Then, I bottled him over the head for good measure :D
:doh: Domer stop proving spuf wrong. The short circuit makes engineers a hard counter to demoman because... Teamwork doesn't exist in this game and everything is 1v1.

In all seriousness I really like the new tools that engi got.

BlueInGreen
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by BlueInGreen » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:35 pm

The Domer wrote:

My point exactly. Every new weapon or change in weapon behavior changes the game. They force me (and everyone else) to learn new techniques to counter the change. The primary reason TF2 has continued to keep me interested are the changes.
Any sufficiently advanced player is indistinguishable from a cheater.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:32 pm

When did the buff to the SC happen? As with everything else, they will most likely realize that it is perhaps OP and they will go back and nerf it a little.

As for all other things Engi...
I am a fan of the Rescue ranger. Managed to pick up a strange. I really like the way I can spam corners with it at long range to give me a fighting chance at distracting snipers and sollys. The ability to repair when I am out of position is a super nice feature. I find it most useful when I am rarely dealing with spies and when I need to move my gear regularly backwards (like Dustbowl defense.)

I recommend for the rescue ranger to turn off auto reload when using it as the animation reminds me a little of the revolvers. I use a toggle bind for this to easily turn this on or off for certain weapons. If you shoot fast it is fine. but if you shoot it slowly, the animation is a little excessive. Pumped to play with it more.

And thanks for the earlier shout out BIG about the few engies on the servers that are pushing the pace of play and the skill level of the class. I truly know I am in for an ordeal playing against you guys on the other team.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:32 pm

BlueInGreen wrote:
Guardian wrote:Honestly the Engie's problem is simple, he has a low skill ceiling.

While good sentry placements, shotguning clever spies and in maintaining a base takes a bit of skill, there's only so much you can do. Eventually you reach the maximum an engineer can accomplish with most of his firepower being controlled by an AI. Compared to a crazy air-shotting soldier that can divebomb any player he wants to kill or a demo who can manage all 12 of his explosive well there isn't much even the most skilled engy can do to compete.

That's not to say the Engy is bad there have been good innovations to shake up his playstyle like the gunslinger which allow him to be more aggressive and also even in the most competitive environments like 6v6s he's used occasionally on gravelpit and certain final points. However I think eventually everyone moves onto a different main after playing Engy for a while. Personally Engineer was my favorite class starting out on TF2 (it was like tower defense but you killed real players :D) but I mostly play soldier and demo when I log in occasionally now after experimenting with every class.
I think Rumple, Jetta and I disprove your theory. We've all been playing engineer at a fairly high level for quite a while -- and in my opinion, that means playing very aggressively.
So I found this event on SPUF called Gunslinger vs Highlander which pits 9 engies with Gunslingers against 9 other players playing a highlander team with a demoknight instead of an engy. I say we put this theory of yours to the test and hold our own event using the same rules.

Also the event looks super fun too:

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm Game.

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:27 am

Short Circuit?
Bait Sentry at the Engi with a bonk Scout.

Airblasting Pyro?
Sticky jump in and launch 2-3 pills on it to destroy it.

Personally, I still prefer the wrangler over the short circuit. I get a counter of Soldiers and some Demomen, but I feel like I'm at a slight disadvantage over every other class like a w+m1 Pyro or a Heavy. Also, you'll be more team reliant with the short circuit. By team reliant, I mean having an experienced air blasting Pyro. Not saying I never trust my team, I just trust my sentry more :3

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Short Circuit = uber a heavy and medic distracts sentry

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:28 pm

It`s nerfing time!

- Updated the Short Circuit
- Damage lowered
- Consumes 15 metal per projectile destroyed
- Can no longer fire underwater
- Fixed a bug with orphaned particles

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by InBOUND HD » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:51 pm

Well it was fun while it lasted. Now back to being dominated by demomen on final stage of dustbowl :(

Last of The Finest
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Last of The Finest » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 pm

The nerf will actually make things interesting again. I LOVE the Short Circuit, but it felt more 'mandatory' than the developers probably wanted.
Participant in Ville Cup '11, Villelympics '11, Warpath Cup '12, Ville Cup '14

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm curious if it's 5 metal per shot PLUS 15 per projectile destroyed, or if it's no cost to shoot BUT 15 metal per projectile destroyed. The first is a really major change requiring ultra precise timing to use well, while the latter would be not a bad trade. I'm guessing it's the first, otherwise it would be an unlimited rapid fire damage weapon, even with damage reduction.
-Boss Llama

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Either way, it seems like it would probably still be pretty effective. So you multiple the cost by 4 when you do destroy a projectile, but the cost is still the same when you don't.

Soldiers can only load 4 rockets at a time, that only amounts to an increased cost of 60 metal to force a soldier to relead.