A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Professor_Frink
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Odd Gameplay Facts

Post by Professor_Frink » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Oooh, never knew that the game detects rocket/arrow collisions...thanks Zork.

I always thought mini sentries have an auto-detect range that is a little too large, given the increased fire rate and turning rate. :eh:

How about this: rockets can be reflected multiple times. That's always confusing when it happens.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:55 pm

Professor_Frink wrote:How about this: rockets can be reflected multiple times. That's always confusing when it happens.
Yep, there's a game mod based around this concept
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Dodgeball

And a 2012 Saxxy winner abused the hell out of it

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Professor_Frink wrote:Target Damage Location: With the obvious exception to sniper rifles and the spy's knife (and a few spy revolvers), it doesn't matter where on the target you are aiming. A shot on the pinky toe is the same as a head shot as far as a heavy is concerned.
Incorrect, or at least partially incorrect. Explosions detect where they are away from the center-of-hitbox, therefore the best place to hit someone with any explosive is the lower torso.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 am

Katotsu wrote:Incorrect, or at least partially incorrect. Explosions detect where they are away from the center-of-hitbox, therefore the best place to hit someone with any explosive is the lower torso.
I believe he's talking about location damage rather than splash damage. In other games, typically you deal more damage depending on where you land your hit on the other target's body; generally hands and feet give the lowest damage while head and chest are generally the highest. In TF2, that doesn't matter unless you're using a sniper primary or the Ambassador and even then that's technically not the same since it's just a guaranteed critical hit.

Splash damage is dependent on where the player is in relation to the explosion. Explosive weapons (including the Direct Hit) have a splash radius that emanates from the location where the projectile detonated and the closer a part of the target is to the center of that explosion, the more damage they will take.

In your case Kat, I believe a headshot with the Direct Hit wouldn't do any damage, the splash on that weapon is not large enough to reach center mass from the head (Direct Hit has a radius of 40 hammer units; roughly the radius of a teleporter). Given the nature of explosive weapons, it's generally better to aim for center mass anyhow to give yourself the best chance of hitting the target in the first place (provided you're shooting directly at said target). There's likely an exception in place for when an explosive weapon detects when it hits a player rather than a solid object.

An interesting thing to note about splash mechanics:
Valve has not released the official stats for the splash damage falloff yet.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Here's one that I learned today due to becoming a victim of it (and it's likely a bug):

Rescue Ranger repair darts are capable of headshots when deflected by a Pyro. I kid you not, this actually happened to me, and both myself and the offending Pyro were notably confused and dumbstruck.

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Joel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:41 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:Here's one that I learned today due to becoming a victim of it (and it's likely a bug):

Rescue Ranger repair darts are capable of headshots when deflected by a Pyro. I kid you not, this actually happened to me, and both myself and the offending Pyro were notably confused and dumbstruck.
I think I saw that in the Team Fortress Wiki's demonstration video. At first, I thought the Rescue Ranger can perform headshots by default; apparently, it's only when the projectile is deflected.

On another note, here are some potentially helpful facts about the Loose Cannon:

1) Cannonballs travel 50 percent faster than grenades.
2) Cannonballs do 50 percent more explosive damage if they detonate before hitting a surface.
3) However, cannonballs do 50 percent less explosive damage if they detonate after hitting a surface.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Loose_cannon

In other words, I'm nowhere near as good with the Loose Cannon as I should be. :(

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:57 am

Ghân-buri-Ghân wrote:
Zork Nemesis wrote:Here's one that I learned today due to becoming a victim of it (and it's likely a bug):

I think I saw that in the Team Fortress Wiki's demonstration video. At first, I thought the Rescue Ranger can perform headshots by default; apparently, it's only when the projectile is deflected.

On another note, here are some potentially helpful facts about the Loose Cannon:

1) Cannonballs travel 50 percent faster than grenades.
2) Cannonballs do 50 percent more explosive damage if they detonate before hitting a surface.
3) However, cannonballs do 50 percent less explosive damage if they detonate after hitting a surface.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Loose_cannon

In other words, I'm nowhere near as good with the Loose Cannon as I should be. :(
yeah that thing's ridiculous -- if you can hit someone with the ball and time it so the thing explodes 1ms after impact, it's beast, otherwise it's just kind of a novelty. Reliably getting frags with it is the stuff of legends

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 pm

If two Pyros reflect a rocket at the same time, the rocket goes up in the sky behind you, regardless of where you're aiming the reflect. Something similar also happens if a teammate blocks a reflected rocket right in front of you. Though sometimes this just damages you.
2013 Ville Cup- GOD (Group of Drunks) 2nd Place
2014 Ville Cup- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent 3rd place

Daff
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Daff » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Cannot believe it took so long too find this one out. The buff banner only activates when you let go of your M1 button, you can delay the activation as long as you continue to hold down M1. Great for when your team is almost ready to push out with an uber or your offensive teamates are almost ready to "CHARGE." ...The More You Know...r.a.i.n.b.o.w... :idea:

woohooo!

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:19 pm

ah NBC PSA's ever a joke :P
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Instead of just reflecting rockets as a pyro with airblast, you can direct them down and to the ground to allow the Pyro to rocket jump. Flying pyros is one of the coolest things I have ever seen in game. Youtube Search ProRo for a video example. Got me re-interested in pyro as more than a middle/short distance defensive class.

Also, i want to know how to get the cool spinning Ville Cup in my sig. I was on Shakespearicles in 2010.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Also, as an engineer you can outscore an entire team with a well placed and useful teleporter and sadly never kill anything...

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Joel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:00 am

Oh, and I want to add a few things about the Dead Ringer.

When a Spy feigns death with the Dead Ringer, a 90% damage reduction kicks in, which lasts for 6.5 seconds. In this time period, the Spy doesn't flicker when damaged by weapons, although there would still be a visible blood splatter when taking fall damage or being hit with the bleed effect (not to mention that he could still be set on fire). A Spy can pick up ammo to refill his cloak metre, but the damage reduction duration stays at 6.5 seconds.

However, with the new change to the Dead Ringer, when you take damage, the duration of the damage reduction is cut, not the duration of the cloak, contrary to what I've stated previously in-game.

My sources:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Dead_ringer