To TV8 Warpath2, TFC, QuakeTF and the old codgers...

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

To TV8 Warpath2, TFC, QuakeTF and the old codgers...

Post by eumoria » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 pm

I've been bouncing around TheVille since I discovered that someone had made an updated cp_warpath so I was curious about this community...

Where do you all come from? How long have you been playing? Why are you all so awesome?

As the late blooming internet generation I was born in Orwellian 1984; I, like most of my friends/e-friends got addicted during the Goldsrc (HL1) times of TFC/CS reign of amazingness in the late 90s/early 00s. We all got locked in on it for one reason or another and haven't left since. TV8 WARPATH2, for me, feels like the same community I played with on my AMD K6/2 when I was in high school so I was curious where you all come from and why you play!

I love the maturity in gameplay and comradeship exhibited so please! Tell your story!

Here's mine to get you started:

TF love quick:
Got into computer gaming early playing DOS games on my hand-me-down 486DX my uncle gave my family but it didn't get serious until my Windows 95 Pentium 133 playing GTA and Starcraft around 1996-97, my older brother took me to my first LAN party around that time (maybe 1998-99) and everyone was playing Team Fortress Classic. Got SUPER into it and after time passed ended up playing CS16 and DOD1 "professionally" won some tournaments but eventually learned that trying to play any game seriously makes you hate it more than anything. BTW I hate both those games now.

Personal love quick:
I'm an engineer for a robotics automation company. All nerd, all the time. Also TV8 other times.

Chris 28y, Queens, NY

Please tell me your story, friends :)

tl;dr TV8 Rules, tell me about you.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: To TV8 Warpath2, TFC, QuakeTF and the old codgers...

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Heya Eumoria! You may be interested in our "Introduce Yourself" thread over in general ramblings: http://www.thevilluns.org/forums/viewto ... f=7&t=6114

It's 171 pages and counting of Villuns giving run-downs of themselves over the last five years!

While my intro in that thread is a month shy of 5 years old, it remains accurate except for the part about my play times. That said, I'll happily rephrase and update it here!

I'm "Alizée Fan." I'm a member of <eVa>, and one of the server admins here at The Ville. I found The Ville within my first week of playing TF2 (right when the game came out), and was drawn by the combination of good quality players, and people who aren't jerks - something that's disturbingly hard to find in most internet games. I "grew up" on the TV6 Dustbowl 24/7, logging around 1000 hours there before really branching out to other maps - mostly on Rotation. I'm 31, and I've been playing computer games since the days of single color 11" monitors and computers without hard drives. Directly before finding The Ville, I played competitive CS:S, though was never good enough to really move up in the world there.

In TF2, my best class is Pyro, and I'm solid on Spy and Engineer. I can also do Soldier, Heavy, and Medic in a pinch. I'm working on Demo occasionally, and hate Scouts (not the players - the in-game character). I am the worst sniper you will ever meet. My primary goal when playing is to help my team. I like to take my games fairly seriously - I want to win - but I consider that the only way to do that is to work together as a unit; something best done with courtesy, good humor, and teamwork. Nothing justifies being a bad person - it's just a game. I play to relax, not to stress out about stuff. I will unashamedly leave a server (some would say rage quit) if the team isn't working together, win or lose.

The Alizée in my name, for those few internet-folks who aren't familiar with her, is a French singer. I'm a genuine fan of her, have met her, and have an immense collection of memorabilia that is mostly boxed up in a closet these days. Around The Ville I would say I'm probably best known for helping run events, for killing zombies in L4D2, and for never ever shutting up. On the forums I definitely have written more than my fair share of text walls, and in game I will talk almost constantly to help communicate stuff to the team, in extended monologue form if nobody else is talking.

Outside of gaming and The Ville, I'm originally from Tacoma, WA, but I live in Arlington, VA. I work at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History as a technical assistant to the conservator. My undergraduate degree is in acting, and my Master's is in Museum Studies. I have interests at a professional or semi-professional level in museums, numismatics, Shakespeare, computers, and emergency planning, and have amateur-level interest in history, obscure languages, codes and ciphers, astrophysics, and lighting.

Quick facts: Cheese is nature's most perfect food, though I also apply that term to certain cheese-related combinations, such as pizza or raviolli. Nature's most perfect beverage is whatever is at hand on a hot day, frequently lemonade. I like my beer red or darker, and I don't want to taste the hops. I like red wines, but avoid most whites - I prefer Cotes-de-Rhone GSMs and Argentine Malbecs. I do not drink or enjoy any soda, but I suffer withdrawl if I go too many days without chocolate. I like cars, but know nothing about them. I understand and follow both football and baseball, but not at the level that I make a point to watch games for anybody but my home teams (Seahawks, Mariners). I speak enough French to get by, but I'm far from fluent. I have bad hair. I do not get stage fright, and am perfectly happy to make a fool of myself for other peoples' entertainment. I am not on speaking terms with any time of day between sunrise and 9AM.
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I work at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History as a technical assistant to the conservator. My undergraduate degree is in acting, and my Master's is in Museum Studies.
I never knew this, I've always wanted to go back to the Smithsonian (I haven't been to DC in probably 15 years). When I make it back there you'll need to hook me up :D
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:51 am

Hi Emoria!

TheVillle sort of been around in one form or another since 1999, and I'm pretty sure the first game played in it was TFC. While I'm sure many members of TheVille have played QuakeTF, it wasn't ever formally played at TheVille.

You might also be interested in the "History of theVille" thread here http://www.thevilluns.org/forums/viewto ... =7&t=13333.

Myself, I have played QuakeTF a little bit, but never really got into it. I played some TFC quite a bit, but didn't really discover TheVille until after TF2 came out in 2007.

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 am

Hi eumoria! Thanks for the kind words about TV8. Great folks I agree. I've always remembered your name because the very first PC game I played was the Dungeons of Moria. You sir are a welcome addition to our group!

I'd tell you all about me, but it's boring. Suffice to say I am one of the 'old codgers' referenced in the post title :) (and loving every minute of it.)

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 am

TheCarpe wrote:
Alizée Fan wrote:I work at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History as a technical assistant to the conservator. My undergraduate degree is in acting, and my Master's is in Museum Studies.
I never knew this, I've always wanted to go back to the Smithsonian (I haven't been to DC in probably 15 years). When I make it back there you'll need to hook me up :D
Sure thing! Just give me some heads-up, and I'll hit you with the firehose of Smithsonian goodness :-D
-Boss Llama

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am

Bleh, I need to make a trip to the Smithsonian one of these days too. It's probably been over 10 years since I've been to any of them. I always loved the Air and Space museum, but also enjoyed the Natural History museum. I'm always so quick to just get out of this city after work that I forget that there are generally neat things to see here.

I was also born in 84 :dance:

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 am

Back in the late '90s and early 2000s, I played a lot of Quake and Quake mods. Including Team Fortress.

Then, in 2005, I bought the Half-Life Platinum Edition, which came with Half-Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Counter-Strike, and most importantly, Team Fortress Classic. This is how I got into Steam.

In 2007, Team Fortress 2 came out in the Orange Box. I played on random servers up until some time in early '08, when I found TheVille. I favorited the servers, and joined the forums some time later.

And all was good.

Some personal stuff:
My favorite types of games are "wacky racing" games (like Mario Kart), RPGs, and pretty much anything that doesn't look realistic in the slightest.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

kkpyro
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kkpyro » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Hey, eumoria!
The Ville (TV8) is a great place to meet people that share a love of gaming and love to have fun.

I would highly recommend reading the history of The Ville as well.
It's a great way to get a feel for the camaraderie we share here.

While not new to TF2, I am new to The Ville. I spent about 3 years building up a clan/guild as a Council member and (while I
met some great ppl there) there never seemed to be the cohesiveness of The Ville. I retired from that 2 years ago and just
wandered from server to server looking for a place to fit in.
I finally have found that here. Almost immediately, I was welcomed to the ranks of the villuns.

I'm also one of the old codgers you refer to. On a personal note, I spent many years as a counselor for families and victims of violent crimes.
I recently set that aside and I'm pursuing my passion, art. I've traveled, painting murals, but my favorite spot is in my studio with my watercolors.
Come summer, that changes to being in my garden. :)

Gaming has always been my favorite pastime. I have played my way through all the NES systems. My favorite is Donkey Kong...yes, Tater, go ahead and laugh. :wink:
My online gaming started with Counter Strike and continues with L4D (1 & 2), TF2, Minecraft and Borderlands being my current favorites.

I'll look for you in game, I play at the Warpath regularly, and give you a "hello".

Welcome to a great place to game! 8)

Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire
The Ville Cup 2012- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Dustbowl loves Warpath 2013-CDi
The Ville Cup 2013- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tater Tots
The Ville Cup 2014- <gTa> Goat Theft Anonymous

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 pm

I got my start in online gaming back in '00 when a coworker introduced me to Starsiege: Tribes. We spent many Friday nights mooching the office DSL pubbing and I was hooked. We moved to Tribes 2 in early 2001 and that was my main game until the TF2 beta came out towards the end of 2007. I found the Ville in early 2008 and I've been here since.

I would consider myself proficient at all classes in TF2 but my main class is Scout. There's nothing better than getting in peoples' faces on Warpath and being a complete menace. :twisted:

I tend to play TF2, L4D2, Minecraft and Borderlands 2. I'm a member of the self titled Wrecking Crew for L4D2 and enjoy using my partners as meat shields. :wink:

On a personal note I'm a bicentennial-born software engineer living in NorCal that's married with 2 young kids.

flyingdutchman
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by flyingdutchman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:16 pm

TTHREAZ wrote:There's nothing better than getting in peoples' faces on Warpath and being a complete menace.

You have understated....more like nuisance.

Eumoria, "Good Death" I appreciate all who choose a name with ties to classical languages.

I enjoyed playing with/against you on TV8 the other night. I didn't think that I had seen you on before.

I have been on here for about 1+ years so I'm still relatively new to the crowd. Started playing after my brother Gizanked hooked me up with a copy. I had played CS in college a little bit and toyed around with other FPS games before but not in any serious way.

I've enjoyed the community here as well. I have known about the Ville for the near decade that Giz has been here but I didn't realize how different it was until I started playing and joined a few pubs out in the world. I came back immediately.

Hope to continue to see you around. I'll be on and off for a little while with some work changes and a baby soon on the way.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 pm

So glad to see you in here, eumoria!

My introduce yourself post is pretty old, too.

I've been doing online fps since '98 or so. HLDM first, then TFC but I was mostly playing Starcraft and Diablo back then. CS was the first thing that got me really seriously into PC gaming. I've mainly stuck with the HL/2 mods and valve games for online stuff since then but I did get really into Battlefield 1942 and UT2K at various times.

I shifted to primarily play at TV8 a while back. I'm one of those that plays there for the love of the people and the way you have to work together. Without that, I wouldn't really care for Warpath.

I'm another Centennial baby, like T. I'm married with a 3 year old. I work for a big childrens apparel brand as Director of Sourcing.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Eumoria! How's it going?

Stumbling across TV8 several years back (3-4?) is actually what got me involved with the Ville community, though I've been playing TF2 since I bought the Orange Box back in 2007 I believe, and I've been playing games online since around 2001-2002. Got my start with RTS games, particularly the Age of Empires/Age of Mythology series. Warpath holds no sentimental value to me, but I quickly came to appreciate how friendly and mature the gamers on TV8 tend to be. Quite unlike the average, stereotypical gamer.

As for my personal story, I was born in '89, and I currently am preparing for graduate school (enrolling this Fall in a yet-to-be-determined uni verity), by the end of which I'll hopefully have my PhD in social psychology. I'm also engaged to my long-time girlfriend, but we've not set a date yet. Hope to get that rolling once I start graduate school.

prang
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by prang » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 am

Nice to meet you Eumoria. 84 was a good year to be born, I'm also nearing the big 3. My name is prang and you'll often see me relaxing after work in one of the servers, jumping around like a dork. I always enjoy playing with Villuns because you quickly recognize names and start to respect their bullets. Playing with a group of cool people is always better so welcome to the fun.

As for my history, I remember Future vs Fantasy and Team Fortress, original Quake mods, were the first fps games I ever played on lan and when the Platinum Edition of Half Life came out it was a joyous occasion. I played with the old Girlpower2 group and with Spokane Team Fortress. I played sniper more than anything and tried out the competitive stuff in SLV2 but I was never all that good. When TF2 came around I had been playing CS gun game too much to go back to sniping and the jack-of-all-situations soldier slowly became my class of choice. TF2 is my game of choice because I really enjoy games where people on a team that are looking out for each other are rewarded for cooperating. I look forward to playing with you.

l33tOMGlolz!11!shift
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l33tOMGlolz!11!shift » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Eumoria!

Thanks for sharing. I'll share as well since there's little reason to normally bother:

I came across TheVille in the early days of TF2. Some clan-mates I used to play with (Lord Slashstab if anyone knows him) used to come here from time to time and every time I joined one of TheVille servers I had fun. Eventually I got fed up with annoying children or disgusting sprays on other servers and the folks here were so nice that I just don't generally like playing elsewhere. So TheVille has been my home for TF2 for a number of years now.

I'm 40 years old, a Software Engineer and I live in New Hampshire. I've always been a gamer and I started FPS stuff with Doom the moment it was released. I played and loved HLDM in the 90s and didn't really play many FPS games after that until HL2 came out. I played Everquest for over 10 years and I love RPGs in general (I'm playing Guild Wars 2 right now). I grew up in arcades in the 80s and been playing PC games since the days of Might and Magic 1, Bard's Tale, and King's Quest!

Outside of gaming, I was a huge Magic: The Gathering player from 1994-1998. I even went to (qualified for) some Pro Tour events. I play volleyball a lot and enjoy running.
-OS/2