Assessing results of the two-engie limit on TV-VI-Dustbowl

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2

Should the two-engie limit be REMOVED from TV-VI-Dustbowl?

Yes. REMOVE the two-engie limit.
41%
No. Keep the two-engie limit in place.
59%

Total votes: 82

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Assessing results of the two-engie limit on TV-VI-Dustbo

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:29 pm

I think that with no engy cap whatsoever, it'd be a world better than with a cap of 2. As with any class, if you over do it, you're going to be weakened elsewhere and will get stomped. I'd rather have my team lose because we didn't pick a good class balance than because we didn't have the option to pick the right one.
-Boss Llama

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:43 pm

I think that with no engy cap whatsoever, it'd be a world better than with a cap of 2. As with any class, if you over do it, you're going to be weakened elsewhere and will get stomped. I'd rather have my team lose because we didn't pick a good class balance than because we didn't have the option to pick the right one.
This, this, and more this.

Having more than two engies on any given stage of dustbowl for either team is (usually) a bad idea that will hold the team back. But there are those moments when someone switching to engy for 30 seconds to help set up a gun or upgrade a teleporter can be extremely important in a hold/push and is why the limit needs to be raised back.

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Too much regulation is what kills servers, though I don't think that will happen to TV6. If a team wants to go engi-overboard, let them.

I am with Alizee on this where he mentioned the TV6 players are the ones voting for it to be removed, and those are the most relevent votes.

My last words for this thread; Consider 3 sentries a challenge to your teamwork capabilities. I've taken out 3 sentries in one uber, so can you, and how often do you need to take out all 3 by yourself anyways? GO TEAM!!!FORTRESS!!!

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:42 pm

I am a mummy wrote:But there are those moments when someone switching to engy for 30 seconds to help set up a gun or upgrade a teleporter can be extremely important...
This is the problem we have. The limit is preventing us from helping the team.

The nature of the map, being simple and the training map novices first play means that we get a lot of new players. The nature of the Engi class, being attractive to novices means that invariably we get many players who need a helping hand.

When we calmly, politely explain to a novice Engineer what to do, we're met with "STFU!", "LOL, u mad?" or just flat out being ignored. It's damn frustrating. The regulars have seen it, the admins have seen it.

Let us help again. Not by telling players what to do, but by doing it.

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 am

Noticed the change this morning while playing. We got stopped by RED who did a good job protecting their 3 engis, but we also lacked explosive power and a second medic, came close tho!

Thanks for listening to the input on this thread and making the change.

Edit: oh......well, either way! lol
Last edited by Earthworm James on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:26 am

I don't think it was changed, the update broke Sourcemod and the class limits are only one of several things that are broken until SM gets compatible.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 am

Roll 11 Demomen and 1 Medic while you can!

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 pm

I've not seen one real TV6 regular that agrees with the engy limit.

I challenge one person who really spends time at TV6 to make a compelling case for this limit.

the only posters that I've seen play often on TV6 are: ghob, mummy, crusty, snidely, parade, and myself. All of us, except ghob, want the limit removed.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:49 pm

I was initially in favor of the limit when it was imposed but would actually like to see it removed now.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Soltan wrote:I was initially in favor of the limit when it was imposed but would actually like to see it removed now.
I'm with Soltan on this. Having played more tv6 lately, it is nice to get to Dustbowl on the rotation server and actually have 3 engis if our team wants. It almost always ends up being 2 engis and a 3rd person at the start to upgrade teles. Even then, its usually only on the 2nd or 3rd maps.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Crusty's Closing Rant

Post by Crusty Juggler » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I think this thread was way more accurate as to the sentiment on TV6 amongst the regulars. A lot of us thought the 2 Enige limit was a good thing at first.

I cannot tell you how many times I've went to grab a wrench to either get the teles upgraded, knock off a sapper or get a sentry up under fire and been denied a slot. When one Engie was a novice, we could pick up the slack before. Play Engie for a bit, help out. Not anymore.

I mean this when I say it, I'll take the chance of attacking into three Wranglers on stage 3. If RED wants to go that route, then fine. I'd rather have that than constrict the team's choices. We're not talking about the Spy and Sniper limit here. Engie is can be very useful on Dustbowl, especially when someone just switches for a minute to help.

Competitiveness is down. I know, like any other man who's 2nd most played class is Trout Scout, that The Ville is not about competition. But after we Uber onto BLU's point, we know for a fact they won't have more than 2 sentries, if that. Not having the threat of a third, hidden sentry makes a big difference. Hell, we don't blindly run into that third sentry anymore. Which was fun.

As I first stated, this thread, not the votes, best reflect the people's will. Look at those who have withdrawn their initial 2 Engie suggestion after some playtime (as evidenced in recent posts). The decision of Soltan to change his mind hits me like his latent crit Ubersaw from 12 feet away. And look at the praise Earthworm James heaped on the Ville head cheeses! Only to be denied. How embarrassing!

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Quick update:

The engineer limit is currently under re-evaluation to see if it will remain at two, or be bumped back to three for the class limit. I just wanted to let you guys know what we appreciate the feedback and that your posts do not go unnoticed.

I can't speak to the time frame, but we will have an update for you when progress is made on how to proceed.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Thank you. It is appreciated.

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by El_Hefe » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:51 pm

c'mon.. it's the 4th of July.... be a good few 'mericans and change it back.... (those of you in canadia.. we appreciate you being 'mericas hat)

:clap: :dance:

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:Quick update:

The engineer limit is currently under re-evaluation to see if it will remain at two, or be bumped back to three for the class limit. I just wanted to let you guys know what we appreciate the feedback and that your posts do not go unnoticed.

I can't speak to the time frame, but we will have an update for you when progress is made on how to proceed.
Thanks!