A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: The official release of WarHammer?

Post by Soup Nazi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Looks like Mateo worked on visuals, I'll test for exploits later this weekend.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:21 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:Here's my testing:

http://imgur.com/a/Elx1R#0

Mainly just draw distance, some texture lines merging, color of gates and some blue splotches.

On the draw distance items, the ladders and lights on cap points 2 and 4 aren't terribly noticeable.
Okay, so I've worked on it some more. For the record, the next release will be cp_warhammer_f1. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I'm hoping f1 stands for final. Anyway, as for the change log, here we go. Following Mateo's screenshots, they are as follows;

Pic 1 Added another displacement to break up the merge of the two brushes.

Pic 2 Added additional rock props to break up the merge of several brush (displacement) and the weird texture issues they cause.

Pic 3 I can't do anything about that. That is something that is occurring in the compiler. I'm guessing it's something to do with shading and shadows. I shifted the textures a bit in that area. Won't know if it's fixed until I compile and run the map. Cross your fingers and hope.

Pic 4 Believe it or not, that is a Valve prop and they only gave it one texture "skin", safety red. Evidently, both RED and BLU both buy their gates from the same contractor. I'll look and see if someone over at TF2 Maps created a different skin for the gate.

Pic 5 The barrels were set to no fade in a previous release, per your all's comments. What you are seeing is the game engine automatically causing fade through an area portal.

Pic 6 See comments (Pic 4)

Pic 7 Set the fade distance on the ladders to no fade

Pic 8 Set the fade distance on the console to no fade

Pic 9 No comment but sure does look nice huh?

Pic 10 Draw distance on the weeds was set to no fade, that is something that the game engine is doing automatically.

Pic 11 No comment

Pic 12 Have to admit, I'm a little confused on this one. I'm guessing that comment was made on the "Gate 2" sign. So, I changed the draw distance to a higher number.

Pic 13 See comments given for (Pic 5). Once again, it's something the game engine is doing.

Pic 14 Set the gameplay arrow to no fade

Pic 15 No comment given but I'm guessing it has something to do with the lights. I'll comment later..................

Pic 16 Draw distance on the lights set to no fade. See I told ya I would comment later..........

Pic 17 Okay, you got me, I missed a rock in the canyon. Rock now set to no fade.

Pic 18 The rock in question as well as most of the rocks in the canyon, see comment above, have been set to no fade. I'm guessing that the engine renders a certain amount of fade over very long draw distances. If you look at very many TF2 Valve maps, they don't have big open areas like that. So, considering those rocks are TF2 rocks, I'm guessing that's something built into them by Valve.

Pic 19 Light draw distances changed to no fade.

Pic 20 See above comment

Pic 21 See above, above comment

Pic 22 I just used a neutral texture for both those gates. Textures for the gates are metal panel.

Pic 23 Forklift and generator both set to draw distance of no fade.

Pic 24 Concrete barrier set to no fade draw distance.

Pic 25 I am not making any promises on that one. That is a sky box issue. I monkeyed around with it a little bit but in fixing that, could open up a whole other can of worms.

Last, in answer to Mlite's comments, the Ville sign does not say The Ville.org, just the Ville......unless he found a sign I missed.

So, to finish up.....nobody has commented on those extra gates I added. Love them, hate them.....let me know.
Image[/center]

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Billboard above Blu 2 point on cliff side.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Oh, that sign, it would be easier to take it out than fix it. :D
Image[/center]

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Whoops, sorry for the missing comments/unclear comments:

pic 9- weeds not visible
pic 11- there is a poster that needs to have draw distance increased
pic 12- If the gate 2 sign is the arrow pointing to the right, thats the one
pic 15- yep, draw distance on lights

I did post on the new gate! I would say keep the drop down hole but remove the gate from it and also prevent defenders from opening the existing gate at the tunnel exit on points 1/5. Reasons being:
MateoTheBold! wrote:As far as the new addition, its a positive. The only changes I would make would be remove the horizontal gate from the drop down, and prevent defenders from opening the vertical gate from the tunnel exit on their side. Soldier/demo jumpers and spys running behind the front lines can easily open the gate for the defenders if need be.

I found often on offense that defenders would simply walk up to the gate, cause it open slightly and then close. This ended up blocking me from leaving a good chunk of the time due to the gate having delay from opening again after triggering recently.

This map is so close, I can taste it! /crosses fingers for version f_1 :dance:

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:19 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:Whoops, sorry for the missing comments/unclear comments:

pic 9- weeds not visible
pic 11- there is a poster that needs to have draw distance increased
pic 12- If the gate 2 sign is the arrow pointing to the right, thats the one
pic 15- yep, draw distance on lights

I did post on the new gate! I would say keep the drop down hole but remove the gate from it and also prevent defenders from opening the existing gate at the tunnel exit on points 1/5. Reasons being:
MateoTheBold! wrote:As far as the new addition, its a positive. The only changes I would make would be remove the horizontal gate from the drop down, and prevent defenders from opening the vertical gate from the tunnel exit on their side. Soldier/demo jumpers and spys running behind the front lines can easily open the gate for the defenders if need be.

I found often on offense that defenders would simply walk up to the gate, cause it open slightly and then close. This ended up blocking me from leaving a good chunk of the time due to the gate having delay from opening again after triggering recently.

This map is so close, I can taste it! /crosses fingers for version f_1 :dance:
Pic 9 I fixed that with no fade but the engine still puts a fade on it based on the size of the entity.

Pic 11 Fixed that with adding more fade distance

Pic 12 Yep, fixed with it set to no fade

Pic 15 Yep, all the lights in those areas now set to no fade

Here's a thought, if those gates at Point 1/5 are causing a choke point, how about I take them out? Doesn't take five minutes and possibly simplifies the situation. Leave the tunnel gate, get rid of the point gates.

Thoughts
Image[/center]

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:29 pm

I like your solution....defenders already get a security warning when you pass through the end of that tunnel, so there is notice provided.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Possibly, but wouldn't that remove all benifit of your drop-down area?

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Soup Nazi wrote:Possibly, but wouldn't that remove all benifit of your drop-down area?
Well, it also opens up opportunities for enemy sollys and demos. They can jump up through the hole in the floor. I made it a tad bit larger to allow for that.
Image[/center]

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:18 pm

How about, try leaving the 2 gates, but still allow sollys and demos out the top. That would be neat

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:57 pm

In case nobody noticed, just in case, version cp_warhammer_f1 was released. It's on TV 2. For the next few days, I'll jump on the server and change it to warhammer to give you all an opportunity to play the map. If by chance, you all want to play but it's not on, just contact an admin and they'll be glad to change the server for you all.
Image[/center]

Oni
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Oni » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Nice, glad to see it's in rotation! Definitely want to try out the new version.

Nook^3
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nook^3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Call me crazy, but wouldn't it be better on TV8?

Warpath2 is fun and all but I think it has been basically broken since the introduction of the Wrangler.

Maybe just change the name to cp_warpathWH so random people looking for cp_warpath games still see TV8 in the list?

Maybe TV8 alternates between Warpath2 and WarHammer every five rounds?

Warpath2 has always had a multitude of big and little problems. I think the community would rally behind the transition to a better Warpath variant if they just had more exposure to it.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Plinko wrote:It should go on TV2, IMHO it can't go to TV8 unless we want to lose a third or more of the community and then hope we can rebuild it.

I don't see any reason why we can't have it scheduled to play regularly if that's what folks want.