Kagsacar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: What Defines a "Pro" Player?

Post by Kagsacar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 pm

TheCarpe wrote:Never try to do that during an actual game, I don't think there's a processor on the market that could handle that load (saving a full-resolution image for every frame).

As others have said, record a demo, then play it back while recording. Your game will run smooth, and the recording will look identical to your gameplay.
Doesn't recording a demo take up a crap ton of space on my hardrive? plus i don't see that wouldn't cause even more lag considering it is a demo and not a movie.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Demos don't take up much space at all. It's the recording of the demo playback that does.

Kagsacar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Kagsacar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm

TTHREAZ wrote:Demos don't take up much space at all. It's the recording of the demo playback that does.
Ok but how do i convert the .dem to a .mp4?

Nvm i got it, now to wait for the Warpath to pick up...

Kagsacar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Kagsacar » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:41 pm

ok with the help of Plas i have a youtube video showing me in action, now i will say this is probably pretty close to a average game, and i want you guys to watch it and tell me what you think of my skill. Basically if i was not on the Ville, and your friend would you want me on your team.
Also yes i use the Sydney Sleeper, and no i am not going to change that.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Kagsacar wrote:ok with the help of Plas i have a youtube video showing me in action, now i will say this is probably pretty close to a average game, and i want you guys to watch it and tell me what you think of my skill. Basically if i was not on the Ville, and your friend would you want me on your team.
Also yes i use the Sydney Sleeper, and no i am not going to change that.
1/10th the way in I already notice a problem: you're not using the quickswitch feature that lets you switch weapons without two clicks!

Also, Sydney Sleeper is win.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:00 pm

One thing i've noticed beyond the boundaries of our servers, our players' skill levels are fairly high, to the point where going to other servers most of the time results in some pretty one sided matches simply because of how we play. On many other servers, unless you were bunched in with a number of people who have participated in something like UCG or E2TFL, you're likely going to outperform the average player.

Kag, your doing fine from what I can tell, though as Kat advises, look into enabling fast weapon switch so you can just swap weapons by mashing a button rather than a double press. It saves a lot of time when situations call for swapping weapons on the fly.

And your choice of rifle, no problem here either. Sydney Sleeper is a very underappreciated weapon since it lacks the killing power of other snipers, but it makes up for this with excellent support ability, allowing you to paint targets for your team to shoot, should they survive. It's a good team-oriented weapon and it's also a good weapon if you're not confident in your ability to headshot in the first place, giving you an acceptable tradeoff to the fact.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Now don't quote me, but if we are talking a pro team... don't most leagues ban the Sleeper because of the crit affect? I am fairly certain they would
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Daryldime wrote:Now don't quote me, but if we are talking a pro team... don't most leagues ban the Sleeper because of the crit affect? I am fairly certain they would
Most leagues ban everything. As far as I know, the only legal unlocks in most leagues are the Escape Plan, Blutsauger, and Ubersaw, and on top of that since no one plays anything outside of Scout, Soldier, Demo, and Medic, you never see anything else.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:51 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:
Daryldime wrote:Now don't quote me, but if we are talking a pro team... don't most leagues ban the Sleeper because of the crit affect? I am fairly certain they would
Most leagues ban everything. As far as I know, the only legal unlocks in most leagues are the Escape Plan, Blutsauger, and Ubersaw, and on top of that since no one plays anything outside of Scout, Soldier, Demo, and Medic, you never see anything else.
Incorrect, they allow most everything. It has to be pretty broken to be banned, or just released. The problem is that for the 4 classes used, the stock weapons are just better, like you said.

NoahTheBoa
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by NoahTheBoa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:18 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:
I think Highander leagues have less banned weapons than 6's. I think I saw the ESEA highlander ban list and it was only like 20-25 weapons

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:59 am

UGC's ban's isnt a lot, it includes some misc, like ones that produce sound, all of the newer items holiday or doomsday items. The bombnicom thingy is banned cause they say it cause fps loss, my highlander team almost got disqualified cause of that.
No unlocks in euro I think.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Kags I thought you were good. I also realized why I'm not a sniper, my reaction time is waaay slower than yours. (Age does that.) You were hitting targets I could hardly focus on. I liked the fact you were a moderately aggressive sniper, you didn't always stay way back in a safe zone.

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:One thing i've noticed beyond the boundaries of our servers, our players' skill levels are fairly high, to the point where going to other servers most of the time results in some pretty one sided matches simply because of how we play. On many other servers, unless you were bunched in with a number of people who have participated in something like UCG or E2TFL, you're likely going to outperform the average player.

Kag, your doing fine from what I can tell, though as Kat advises, look into enabling fast weapon switch so you can just swap weapons by mashing a button rather than a double press. It saves a lot of time when situations call for swapping weapons on the fly.

And your choice of rifle, no problem here either. Sydney Sleeper is a very underappreciated weapon since it lacks the killing power of other snipers, but it makes up for this with excellent support ability, allowing you to paint targets for your team to shoot, should they survive. It's a good team-oriented weapon and it's also a good weapon if you're not confident in your ability to headshot in the first place, giving you an acceptable tradeoff to the fact.
"Fairly high" is being incredibly generous, IMO. TheVille is certainly a step above a valve server, but it's nothing to write home about considering how I never really see anyone even attempt to rocket jump (and when they do, they go straight up and don't accomplish anything).

The toughest players I've played against (outside of 6v6 scrims and/or highlander) have been on the SomethingAwful servers, but even they don't compare to the amount of teamwork and strategy you find in actual competitive matches.

As for Kag's video, it was good. The one tip I have is that peeking around a corner slowly while scoped in is generally not a good idea as any decent sniper will quickly shoot your head off since chances are he'll see you first because you have no peripheral vision.

As far as banned weapons go, the sleeper is allowed in most leagues, some Euro leagues tend to ban everything and only allow weapons that have a significant positive impact on the game (e.g. gunboats, kritzkrieg, ubersaw), but no one really likes that to be honest.

Pwnstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pwnstar » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Idk fano the ville regs who play all the time who frequent the servers are pretty highly skilled and make the ville a place that is what zork is talking about

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Pwnstar wrote:Idk fano the ville regs who play all the time who frequent the servers are pretty highly skilled and make the ville a place that is what zork is talking about
There are some pretty good players that play here, I don't doubt that. What I'm saying is that TheVille shouldn't exactly be touted as a highly skilled community; we are a community of friends who do not judge someone based on their skill but rather their personality, that's what makes TheVille a great place to play.