Pwnstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: What Defines a "Pro" Player?

Post by Pwnstar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:39 am

Time, effort, determination, All of these are what you need to put in to get better at the game. Mix in entertainment and fun then you can do these for along time and gain a "pro" advantage over other players who lack these

{a unit}
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by {a unit} » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:03 am

Kagsacar wrote:After the success with my "Why i do not play medic..." Topic i thought i would start another. I have notices that after nearly 300 hours of game play i am still just as bad as when i started, and this is troubling to me for obvious reasons. In any other game after 300 hours you are considered a "pro" player, but not here... Maybe i just need to play for longer till i start getting better, which i guess could be it, but after so long i would expect to see some progress. More likely is that i am just a idiot who does not bother with teamwork, instead opting to be mute, and charge head first, die, rage-quit. But if you are good enough you can get a few kills in before you die, so that is at least partially not it. Perhaps it is knowing the map, all the load-outs, all the good sentry spots, and so forth. And while i do have a firm grasp on those things, that still does not help. Maybe it is the need to have the twitch reflexes of a nine year old. A theory that is shot down by most of the pro's being 20 something. Maybe it is purely based on how well you are doing that particular day, which would make TF2 a terrible terrible game.... So that cannot be it. I am guessing it has something to do with team work, which is a major problem for me not because i dislike teamwork but of my crippling fear of using the built in voice chat function. i really really really REALLY hate using it, and not for any practical reasons, i just do not like talking to people i barely know.When i use it I get feelings of abject terror every time i open my mouth. I do not know why... And because my typing is abysmal, and slow, that is out of the question. I also tend to switch classes almost constantly which may be a determent. Usually if i die too many time without killing anything i switch to a different class, or sometime build in the Demomans case. So how does one become a "pro" player? Teamwork? Brute force practice? I would like to know...
Be a team player first, communication, and always looking for ways to improve -- regardless of your class.

Gearloose
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gearloose » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:59 am

To me "Pro" means "makes money at it". But I think I know what you're getting at. I don't think it has much to do with hours played but more to do with attitude, and the main reason I've stuck around TheVille is that I like the civil attitude of the core players here, and their tendency to encourage team behavior without turning people off by being too commanding.

--HaDeS--
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by --HaDeS-- » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Fano wrote:After watching the ESEA LAN finals this weekend Mackey is my new favorite player, man this guy is just amazing, truly a pro if there ever were one.

Completely agree with you, Mackey is definitely the closest thing to a "pro" in all of TF2.

People used to criticize him and claim that he was carried by the likes of Tyrone or b4nny, but Mackey exemplifies a knowledge for the game that very little players in invite have. In a way, he has revolutionized the way people look at competitive TF2. He's not only one of the best roamers, but his ability to recognize when to off-class is pretty remarkable to say the least. I probably haven't even watched half of his matches, but I've seen him effectively use Pyro, Heavy, Sniper and Spy all on his own.

He also exhibits a great understanding of other classes. He played Medic during one of the recent ESEA LANs and I have also seen him play Scout in a few of his matches. It's actually pretty impressive. If you want to see a real pro in action, Mackey is definitely the guy to watch.

I also may be dating myself here, but he reminds me a lot of coL.Jaeger from a few years ago. Great roamer and off-classer who just is so knowledgeable about all aspects of the game (classes, maps, etc.).
New York Rangers: Offseason

New York Giants: Offseason

The Warpath Cup 2011: Hades' Babies (2nd Place)
The Ville Cup '10: Hale's Angels (3rd Place)

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm

--HaDeS-- wrote:
Fano wrote:After watching the ESEA LAN finals this weekend Mackey is my new favorite player, man this guy is just amazing, truly a pro if there ever were one.

Completely agree with you, Mackey is definitely the closest thing to a "pro" in all of TF2.

People used to criticize him and claim that he was carried by the likes of Tyrone or b4nny, but Mackey exemplifies a knowledge for the game that very little players in invite have. In a way, he has revolutionized the way people look at competitive TF2. He's not only one of the best roamers, but his ability to recognize when to off-class is pretty remarkable to say the least. I probably haven't even watched half of his matches, but I've seen him effectively use Pyro, Heavy, Sniper and Spy all on his own.

He also exhibits a great understanding of other classes. He played Medic during one of the recent ESEA LANs and I have also seen him play Scout in a few of his matches. It's actually pretty impressive. If you want to see a real pro in action, Mackey is definitely the guy to watch.

I also may be dating myself here, but he reminds me a lot of coL.Jaeger from a few years ago. Great roamer and off-classer who just is so knowledgeable about all aspects of the game (classes, maps, etc.).
Jaeger was also one of my early favorites :)

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Mackey is basically the Little One (starcraft 2) of Tf2. Always pulling crazy stuff. I remember when he used the direct hit + gunboats to suicide kill a sentry that was giving his team trouble during downtime on cp_gravelpit.

--HaDeS--
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by --HaDeS-- » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am

Guardian wrote:Mackey is basically the Little One (starcraft 2) of Tf2. Always pulling crazy stuff. I remember when he used the direct hit + gunboats to suicide kill a sentry that was giving his team trouble during downtime on cp_gravelpit.
What made that play even more awesome was that most of the community started using it as a legitimate tactic while waiting for the med to get uber.

My personal favorite Mackey play:

New York Rangers: Offseason

New York Giants: Offseason

The Warpath Cup 2011: Hades' Babies (2nd Place)
The Ville Cup '10: Hale's Angels (3rd Place)

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Thats a mean shot right there.....
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Oh and if you are looking for my definition of pro. Its more skilled than I am at just about any class! :D
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

therealrictuar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by therealrictuar » Sun May 06, 2012 11:28 pm

without reading the topic, imo a "pro" demo or soldier" has great aim and decent dodging skills. so theyre putting out damage at the maximum possible rate while receiving it at the minimum possible rate. healing is quicker than respawning.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun May 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Daryldime wrote:Oh and if you are looking for my definition of pro. Its more skilled than I am at just about any class! :D
So...everyone is a pro then? :D

I've noticed in comp tf2, that everyone's view is expanded to include a significant portion of their weapons/arms that aren't visible under stock settings. I have my FOV set to max, but I don't even see that much.

1) Why do they do that? Is it to gain increased vision on your character's peripheral?
2) What's the setting to do that?

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Mon May 07, 2012 12:18 am

MateoTheBold! wrote:
Daryldime wrote:Oh and if you are looking for my definition of pro. Its more skilled than I am at just about any class! :D
So...everyone is a pro then? :D

I've noticed in comp tf2, that everyone's view is expanded to include a significant portion of their weapons/arms that aren't visible under stock settings. I have my FOV set to max, but I don't even see that much.

1) Why do they do that? Is it to gain increased vision on your character's peripheral?
2) What's the setting to do that?
viewmodel_fov is the command, it has no limit but it starts to look silly past 90 or so. Regular FOV is capped at 90 and there used to be ways around it that involved playing at weird resolutions but they got patched out.

As far as the reason, smaller models let you see a bit more but a good portion of comp players play with viewmodels turned off anyway, I like to have mine on with an FOV of 85 or so.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu May 31, 2012 4:44 am

This match perfectly illistrates how super serial pro players are:

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:05 pm

It's hard to put into words what makes a pro a pro, but you know it when you see it... especially if you've spent thousands of hours playing the game and get absolutely effortlessly thrashed 20-0 in MGE as your best class by one such player.

TLR and WonderWall are my favorite pro players -- I love to watch those guys play soldier

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Pro means communication, watching your teammates' back, playing the right class at the right time, etc.

And rage Scout panning on stage three Dustbowl.
  • The Ville Cup 2012 Champions - [SNES] Superflous Nipples Equals Success - Captain
    Dustbowl<3Warpath Champions- Team CDi- Captain