A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
therealrictuar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Only YOU can prevent teamstacking!

Post by therealrictuar » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:20 pm

very rarely do people actually switch. frankly, i switch frequently when im doing well personally and one team is getting rolled, but often its still nowhere close to making a difference (ie the rolling continues, and the swappers are punished for the good behavior with a streak of losses. doesnt make for positive reinforcement) villuns arent the selfless folks everyone seems to be making them out to be (for better or for worse... maybe its in the name?) and i still hold that a votescramble with a threshold of say 13 on a 24 man server should be enacted.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:04 pm

therealrictuar wrote:very rarely do people actually switch. frankly, i switch frequently when im doing well personally and one team is getting rolled, but often its still nowhere close to making a difference (ie the rolling continues, and the swappers are punished for the good behavior with a streak of losses. doesnt make for positive reinforcement) villuns arent the selfless folks everyone seems to be making them out to be (for better or for worse... maybe its in the name?) and i still hold that a votescramble with a threshold of say 13 on a 24 man server should be enacted.
Rictuar- you play with many of the same people I do on tv7. There have been very few times when a roll lasts for more than a couple rounds. When things seem to be going bad people like raindrop, Spanish, floodgate, armn, etc have switched many times. There have been times where there aren't many, if any, villuns on the server and you are right, you don't seen switches much then. Today for example Diet COke and I were getting killed. There was only one other person on the server I recognized though, so nothing changed until the map moved. Had that game been during my usual hours in the evening with many of the regular folks, I have no doubt people would have switched or at the very least, switched to classes they aren't good at.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:22 pm

The unbalanced teams seem to happen more after 10pst, or after midnight Ville time. During the day it's not as likely to happen.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:55 am

Usually the reason a team is getting rolled is not that the rolling team has one player that's so good that they're the sole cause, it's that the team getting rolled has some combination of inexperience/lack of communication/teamwork that adds up to poor performance.

Swapping a good player from the rolling team to the rolled often won't fix that dynamic because it doesn't make the other 11 players communicate or work together better.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 pm

I agree with One medic, it was stacked on tv8 on sunday after super bowl.

somedude
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by somedude » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Plinko wrote:Usually the reason a team is getting rolled is not that the rolling team has one player that's so good that they're the sole cause, it's that the team getting rolled has some combination of inexperience/lack of communication/teamwork that adds up to poor performance.

Swapping a good player from the rolling team to the rolled often won't fix that dynamic because it doesn't make the other 11 players communicate or work together better.
This!

Which is why a vote scramble would be a nice thing on servers like TV8.
My backpack holler if you see something you would like to trade for.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

— Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:05 pm

The biggest arguement I've heard against teamscrambling is that it extends the time of the current map. TV6 and TV8 have nothing to lose in that regard. Why not enable it for those servers? Can't be specific enough on which servers?

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Somedude is right, I have enough of tv8 getting stack.

Bakuryu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bakuryu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Oddly, I find more rolls on III and VII. Warpath tends to either stagnate or roll over, but that's more the nature of the map. You might get lucky and have a solid back and forth, but more often than not it's stalemate or slaughter.
I will find you...and I will kill you

Pain in the @&^% TF'er since 2000.

Pwnstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pwnstar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 am

I don't know if this would work But I was joining random pub servers when I encountered this interesting plugin that instead of letting you pick your team it auto balanced you RIGHT as you connected so there is no chance of intentional team stacking. the donators of the server could pick there teams and switch. Any thought on something like this

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 am

I've seen similar before. I think I used to play CS:S somewhere that used a very similar plugin.

Could you switch teams once you were assigned or maybe after a fixed period?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:25 am

Katotsu wrote:The biggest arguement I've heard against teamscrambling is that it extends the time of the current map. TV6 and TV8 have nothing to lose in that regard. Why not enable it for those servers? Can't be specific enough on which servers?
That is the biggest reason why admins sometimes won't do a scramble a few minutes before a map ends, even if otherwise justified.

The biggest reason we don't have it available publicly is because it is horribly horribly abused, with half a dozen whiners and me-too's trying to scramble every time they lose. I see people try it every single time I play.
-Boss Llama

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 pm

There are almost always admins on TV8, so if popular desire is there to shake up teams maybe feel free to ask if we can get one - we can put up a vote or use judgement if it's bad enough that people are quitting.

It can be tough, I know, when you have two more hours until the map resets before the teams change.

Bakuryu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bakuryu » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 am

I'll change to help folks, but if I see three snipers, scouts, or spies, it isn't even worth playing anymore. The game isn't fun when your team's defense is piling the bodies of support classes in the path of the enemy.
I will find you...and I will kill you

Pain in the @&^% TF'er since 2000.

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Bakuryu wrote:I'll change to help folks, but if I see three snipers, scouts, or spies, it isn't even worth playing anymore. The game isn't fun when your team's defense is piling the bodies of support classes in the path of the enemy.
I see a lot of people switching to support classes there are already two resulting in very quick rolls.

People need to pick a class for a round and stay as it unless there is a HUGE need for a switch.

At least half the maps lately i've been playing as a specific class and all of a sudden find 2-3 more of them which means that at least one, if not several of us, are not credit to team.

So logically i switch to a different class which we are lacking only to find that a minute or two later the people who switched to my initial class have now switched to another class overloading that specific class.

I find it particularly irritating that people do not check before they switch. It's one thing if a person is learning or just plain bad as a specific class and another person switches to help but there doesn't need to be 2 or 3 people switching to compensate.

In general, if there is already someone at or near the top of the score list 2 or more people do not need to join that same class.