black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Suggestion of change to seed point system

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:56 pm

I wanted to point out two things I have observed when trying to seed servers, and propose a suggestion for how to fix it.

Here's what I observed:
1) 8 players isn't enough for random pubbers to join. What often happens when I'm trying to seed a server is we get to 8-10 players and then it just sits there for 30+ minutes, then slowly dies.
2) 18 players isn't a safe number for seeders to leave. Often we get to 18, then the seeders slowly start leaving, and this isn't always made up for by pubbers joining. I've seen us get to 18 quite often, and then the server slowly dies before it gets to 20 because seeders are leaving faster than pubbers are joining.

I suggest that, in order to try to fix this, have two tiers players who get seed points:
-The first 8 players to join get a seed point when the server reaches 18 players, as they do now.
-The 9th through 16th players who join get a seed point when the player reaches 24 players.

Not sure how feasible this is to implement, but if it were possible it might help, and it would also give some recognition to players who join later in the seeding process but still work just as hard to fill the server.

NoahTheBoa
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Suggestion of change to seed point system

Post by NoahTheBoa » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 pm

I think there should be a separate system for TVI if possible because it takes much longer to fill up.

Maybe the first 8 should get 2 seed points and the next 4-6 should get 1 point?

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 pm

I would like to see that change happen so we could get more seeders in tv1.

Nook^3
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nook^3 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Would be nice to see a Ville server with no krits/damage spread...

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I wouldn't mind trying out a server like that (just to see what it's like), but those server options seem more geared to competitive players, since they remove randomness. It helps keep new players when they can occasionally kill players of higher skill with a "lucky shot".
In short, it seems like the type of server that wouldn't keep a steady population outside of regulars.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:59 am

One_Medic_Army wrote:I wouldn't mind trying out a server like that (just to see what it's like), but those server options seem more geared to competitive players, since they remove randomness. It helps keep new players when they can occasionally kill players of higher skill with a "lucky shot".
In short, it seems like the type of server that wouldn't keep a steady population outside of regulars.
yeah it's pretty much like this, although to be quite honest you could silently turn off random crits during the middle of a match on TV7 and I doubt anyone would notice, it's not as big a change as everyone makes it out to me, but it goes a long way in making the game more balanced, same with default respawns. Damage spread is only annoying on the sniper rifle but it's much more noticeable if you have damage numbers turned on, and fixed bullet spread makes scout a lot less annoying to play since you can sometimes miss meatshots point blank but hit for 100 at mid-range or so because ~random~

that said, I play almost exclusively on these types of servers now so it would be a nice thing to have, I doubt it would get as popular as the others considering the type of crowd theville attracts appears to be far more casual, but like I said you probably wouldn't notice a difference.