KajiVena
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Villun Pledge - Respect the newbies

Post by KajiVena » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I've been perusing the Steam User Forums and the TF2 forum is filled with people hating on all the newbies joining because of Free-to-Play TF2. It's absolutely sickening to me, how there seem to be endless insults coming from elitist players who think F2P is the end of TF2.

So please, fellow Villuns, set an example. Don't rage on about the newbies trying out the game for the first time. Offer a welcome hand and teach them the ropes so, in the future, our community can expand.

Nothing is worse than asking for help and being yelled at for being a "f2p noob."

I know that I'll be offering my help to any newbie who wants it.
Last edited by KajiVena on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steam: KajiVena
DeviantArt: Mackinz
Minecraft: Mackinz

KV's One Stop Drop Shop

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: :arrow: Villun Pledge - Respect the newbies

Post by Peahats » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:07 pm

I will do my part too. Many more people need to play this wonderful game!

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Villun Pledge - Respect the newbies

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:21 pm

I am with this 100% be nice to nube maybe give them an item or two to get them started.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:49 pm

I agree.

Also, let's not rush to judgement on the ban free to play plug in that is out, either. It's time to build bridges, not walls! This is a great opportunity to grow the Ville.

I was playing on warpath today and I just want to give a shoutout to Plas for how he was being super awesome to the new players.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:50 pm

this has always kinda been our approach anyways. be helpful and be welcoming and respect everyone no matter their skill level. that shouldn't change now that we host servers for a f2p game.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:55 pm

It's a rule. The first one, in fact. :wink:

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:59 pm

I agree. I think Kaji is just reminding us of this rule. TF2 may be an f2p fps now, but that doesn't change how we should act to genuinely new players willing to learn. There are just more than ever before :)
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

EdGe_Of_FiRe
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by EdGe_Of_FiRe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:19 pm

More people to kill :-) . I can't imagine THAT many new players getting the game after it being out for so long and there being so many free weekends that didn't really affect the game. I would think that most people who want the game by now would have bought it for the cheap $5 price it was being offered at for so long. But, I do think there will be a small wave of new players. The good thing about a lot of TheVille servers is that there are a lot of regulars.

I will do my best to respect them and not get angry if they go Medic and don't heal me. haha. =P
- EdGe_Of_FiRe -

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:32 pm

EdGe_Of_FiRe wrote:I can't imagine THAT many new players getting the game after it being out for so long and there being so many free weekends that didn't really affect the game. I would think that most people who want the game by now would have bought it for the cheap $5 price it was being offered at for so long. But, I do think there will be a small wave of new players.
You would be surprised. There are ton of newbies on the servers right now.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:38 pm

1. Respect your fellow players
Do not complain about other people's playing abilities. Remember that you were a beginner once.
Belive it or not, i've spent the last 2-3 hours CONSTANTLY reminding people of this to no avail, to the point where i've had my fingers on the vote-gag button (I didn't acctually use it) for those people who just can't accept that the game has an influx of new players. I personally don't care if someone's inexperienced, as everyone is at some point. It's the elitists and the biggots who can't even give fresh blood a chance to try, and I would love to see each and every one of those people out personally.

I welcome new players with open arms, that doesn't mean i'll go easy on them though.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me not want to try new games. Elitists and Biggots are the MAIN REASON I stopped playing World of Warcraft 2 years ago. They are the main reason I will never play Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, Battlefield, or many other online FPS or RPG games on a serious or even casual level, because elitists and biggots ruin everything with their constant complainig and hatred toward the general masses. I'm amazed I still play Monday Night Combat with all the jerks over there.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Just remember that at 1 point in time We where all Newbies.

trunicated
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by trunicated » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:58 pm

I've always been a fan of switching to the team opposite the whiner and dominating them into rage quitting. I'm actually looking forward to doing a lot of this over the weekend. Well, hopefully not a lot considering the regulars we have here... but at least a little :-)

More to the point, just take the time to give out tips and help players get better. That's how you build up communities. Hopefully we'll get a nice influx of new regulars, and hopefully some new supports (which might lead to some new servers!)
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate."

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:04 pm

trunicated wrote:I've always been a fan of switching to the team opposite the whiner and dominating them into rage quitting. I'm actually looking forward to doing a lot of this over the weekend. Well, hopefully not a lot considering the regulars we have here... but at least a little :-)

More to the point, just take the time to give out tips and help players get better. That's how you build up communities. Hopefully we'll get a nice influx of new regulars, and hopefully some new supports (which might lead to some new servers!)
New Servers?

Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:06 pm

also:

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:16 pm

There haven't been many problems with rolls, while I've been on. Both teams are so packed with new players that it's impossible for either team to do anything effectively :-P

On Gravelpit earlier, we spent 6 minutes attacking B which had no defenses, and no more than one or two enemies at a time, and I couldn't convince a single person other than myself to actually stand on the point. We had 6-8 folks right outside shooting in (at nobody, mind you), and they just wouldn't move. I think we had 4 people on the server who'd played before. It was both easy pickings (deflect pyro paradise), and wildly frustrating (We don't need 3 spies and 3 engies on offense on the first cap). I'm always happy to help coach and advise new folks, but I can only take it in limited quantities. About 30 minutes, and I was pretty burned out.
-Boss Llama