One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Villun Creativity: New Weapon Ideas

Post by One_Medic_Army » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:23 pm

On the pie, 10% dmg reduction and 10% slower movement is a bit of a low bonus fro the whole eating animation, I'd suggest also giving it crit-block for it's short duration.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:25 pm

One_Medic_Army wrote:On the pie, 10% dmg reduction and 10% slower movement is a bit of a low bonus fro the whole eating animation, I'd suggest also giving it crit-block for it's short duration.
Or reduce any crits to Mini-Crits
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:51 am

A few more items I thought up. Two for the Engineer and one for the Demoman.

The Flaming Flask
Level 5 Bottle
On hit: target is covered in alcohol for 5 seconds
20% fire damage vulnerability on wearer
-25% damage penalty

Concept: A new status effect, "Covered in Alcohol". When a target is covered in alcohol, they take (Mini-)Critical damage from Afterburn. In addition, taking explosive damage causes an alcohol-soaked target to burst into flames that last until the alcohol wears away (regular Pyro afterburn is unaffected).

The Old-School Spanner
Level 5 Wrench
On hit ally: 10% damage resistance on target for 5 seconds
-50% damage penalty

Concept: Remember how in QWTF/TFC, the Engineer could repair an ally's armor by smacking them with his spanner? This is basically that. This wrench is for those Engineers who like to get up to the front lines and support their team. Just hit your teammates and they take less damage temporarily. I'm not sure how damage penalties work towards Sappers, but the -50% damage penalty might mean that Sappers take three/four hits to remove as apposed to two. Not entirely sure how useful this unlock would be.

The Plumber's Pipe
Level 5 Wrench
+100% building repair and upgrade rate
+100% damage vs. buildings

Cannot boost building construction or redeploy rate
Your buildings' construction and redeploy rates cannot be boosted
-50% damage vs. players

Concept: A powerful wrench for turtling Engies, one that repairs and upgrades buildings twice as fast, but you cannot boost your allies' buildings while they redeploy or build. Nor can any ally speed up your buildings' construction or redeploy rates. The wrench also desaps buildings with one hit (and if you're feeling risky, you can reverse-engineer enemy buildings), at the cost of doing 50% damage to players, meaning you're not going to crit-kill that Spy any time soon with this wrench. Somehow I feel that this wrench might be too powerful. But I don't play Engineer much, so I don't know.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Super Steveio wrote:A few more items I thought up. Two for the Engineer and one for the Demoman.

The Flaming Flask
Level 5 Bottle
On hit: target is covered in alcohol for 5 seconds
20% fire damage vulnerability on wearer
-25% damage penalty

Concept: A new status effect, "Covered in Alcohol". When a target is covered in alcohol, they take (Mini-)Critical damage from Afterburn. In addition, taking explosive damage causes an alcohol-soaked target to burst into flames that last until the alcohol wears away (regular Pyro afterburn is unaffected).

The Old-School Spanner
Level 5 Wrench
On hit ally: 10% damage resistance on target for 5 seconds
-50% damage penalty

Concept: Remember how in QWTF/TFC, the Engineer could repair an ally's armor by smacking them with his spanner? This is basically that. This wrench is for those Engineers who like to get up to the front lines and support their team. Just hit your teammates and they take less damage temporarily. I'm not sure how damage penalties work towards Sappers, but the -50% damage penalty might mean that Sappers take three/four hits to remove as apposed to two. Not entirely sure how useful this unlock would be.

The Plumber's Pipe
Level 5 Wrench

-50% damage vs. players

Concept: A powerful wrench for turtling Engies, one that repairs and upgrades buildings twice as fast, but you cannot boost your allies' buildings while they redeploy or build. Nor can any ally speed up your buildings' construction or redeploy rates. The wrench also desaps buildings with one hit (and if you're feeling risky, you can reverse-engineer enemy buildings), at the cost of doing 50% damage to players, meaning you're not going to crit-kill that Spy any time soon with this wrench. Somehow I feel that this wrench might be too powerful. But I don't play Engineer much, so I don't know.
The two engie ones are straight upgrades IMO, I never rely on melee to chase people and would rather switch to my shotgun anyway so the reduced damage is negligible and I can boost my ally's armor at basically no cost, the second wrench would make turtling engineers a nightmare to deal with without an uber, the demoman bottle is ok but I don't really think we need yet another status effect introduced into the game.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Super Steveio wrote:Somehow I feel that this wrench might be too powerful. But I don't play Engineer much, so I don't know.
The Plumber's Pipe would be an enormous upgrade for any defensive engy - only an offensive engy using minis would probably avoid it. Summed up, it would make you build faster and be almost invincible, at no cost. Here's why...

A defensive engy shouldn't frequently be taking fire while building their initial structure. The point of whacking it to make it deploy faster is so that you can get to the upgrading. Having a default deploy speed but then doubling upgrade speed would be a net build-speed increase any way you look at it, meaning the first two downsides aren't really downsides in 90% of situations. On top of that, your position becomes virtually impregenable due to increased repair speed, with even direct hit rockets and multiple snipers having zero effect. An ubered heavy at point blank would lose as well, and even a circle kiting pyro wouldn't stand a chance unless they managed to kill you out from behind it without stopping moving (possible, but difficult). That leaves only mass sticky bombs with a reasonable chance of taking out the nest. While I like having the ability to crunch spies and such, shotguns do quite well for that too, and my main goal is just to drive them off so my teammates can kill them, while I remove sappers. The -50% damage penalty is not a significant downside either.

The Old School Spanner would be an upgrade as well, though less of one, for the same reason. I can go many games as Engy without ever using my wrench against a player, but being as I have my team's forward teleport next to me, I could very easily buff every single combat class as they arrive at the front line by whacking them as they port in. Thus the team gains an advantage, at zero cost.
-Boss Llama

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Super Steveio wrote:A few more items I thought up. Two for the Engineer and one for the

The Plumber's Pipe
Level 5 Wrench

-50% damage vs. players

I had an idea along this line. Only after being built, the only way to advance it forward is to destroy and move it.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. It is clear to me that I should never ever get a job designing stats for weapons, lest I overpower everyone. :P

I think I'll stick to terrible weapons for classes I actually play.
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:35 pm

That one reminded me of a wrench concept I came up with some time ago, but forgot about it until now

The Fixer-Upper (Engineer)
Level xx Hammer
-The model would be something along the lines of a mallet or carpentry hammer
+100% upgrade rate
-The hammer would effectivly double your speed in putting up level 3 sentries
-While upgrade speeds are increased, upgrade costs are not decreased, therefore, a swing would cost up to 50 metal at once in upgrades
-This benefit also helps when the engineer is assisting other engineers in deploying and upgrading their equipment
-Much like all engy melee weapons, changing to a different melee weapon will destroy all buildings
-This bonus affects all buildings, not just sentries
-50% repair rate
-To balance the upgrade speed, the hammer would only be half as effective at fixing the gun; it's a builder's tool.
-This penalty makes it especially hard to tank sentries under heavy fire. Often times the engineer will either have to seek aid from fellow engineers for repairs, or abandon and rebuild, instead of tanking a gun.
-The engineer is also less able to assist other engineers under heavy fire.
-Other engineers have the same repair rates on the wielder's buildings unless they too are using this hammer
-Ammo reloads to sentries are not affected by this penalty, only restoring health to a building
-This penalty applies to all buildings, not just sentries

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:That one reminded me of a wrench concept I came up with some time ago, but forgot about it until now

Level xx Hammer
+100% upgrade rate
-While upgrade speeds are increased, upgrade costs are not decreased, therefore, a swing would cost up to 50 metal at once in upgrades
-This benefit also helps when the engineer is assisting other engineers in deploying and upgrading their equipment
-Much like all engy melee weapons, changing to a different melee weapon will destroy all buildings
-50% repair rate
-To balance the upgrade speed, the hammer would only be half as effective at fixing the gun; it's a builder's tool.
-This penalty makes it especially hard to tank sentries under heavy fire. Often times the engineer will either have to seek aid from fellow engineers for repairs, or abandon and rebuild, instead of tanking a gun.
-Other engineers have the same repair rates on the wielder's buildings unless they too are using this hammer
-Ammo reloads to sentries are not affected by this penalty, only restoring health to a building
I like the idea of upgrading buildings faster, but with that -50% repair rate then soldiers could destroy it easily at far range.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Super Steveio wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. It is clear to me that I should never ever get a job designing stats for weapons, lest I overpower everyone. :P

I think I'll stick to terrible weapons for classes I actually play.
It isn't just you. To be honest, the vast majority of weapons I ever see proposed by community members are completely out of balance. Most people seem to design their fantasy weapon, and like a min-max'd character in an RPG, the "negatives" chosen really don't impede the weapon's use.

I think there are 2 good rules to follow that help when designing weapons:

1) Stick to classes you know well. Something you think is minor might not be, and something you feel is major might be inconsequential to an expert. If you don't have a couple hundred hours in the class, it's my opinion that it should be left to somebody who does. Me, for example, I would only dream of designing stats for Pyro, Spy, Engy, and maybe soldier.

2) If you design a weapon based on "I would use this all the time" it's probably unbalanced. Only one weapon for each slot was designed to be used in all situations, and that's the stock weapons, because they were designed prior to options existing. Anything new should truly be a sidegrade, something that players use or don't use depending on composition of the enemy team, their personal playstyle, and/or the situation at the time of spawning - not because it's empirically better.

In the end though, remember that Valve likes submissions of models and ideas for themes - they don't like submissions for stats. I envy the good modellers; I'd love to submit things, but I have no skill in that art!
-Boss Llama

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Super Steveio wrote: The Flaming Flask
Level 5 Bottle

so a molotov that you hit people with?

perhaps you should change the name to the... Moli Flogger.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:04 pm

ketchuo wrote:
Zork Nemesis wrote:That one reminded me of a wrench concept I came up with some time ago, but forgot about it until now

Level xx Hammer
+100% upgrade rate
-50% repair rate
I like the idea of upgrading buildings faster, but with that -50% repair rate then soldiers could destroy it easily at far range.
That's the idea, it's for speed upgrades, not for maintenence. It's a great secondary engineer tool when two or more are working together

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Two fire-based weapons I thought up for the Pyro. Because a Pyro should be about setting people on fire, not shooting air.

The Psycho's Pyrokinesis
Level 1 Pyrokinesis
Alt-fire: shroud yourself in a fiery barrier that reduces the damage you take and ignites nearby enemies for 5 seconds
Does not require ammo
+50% projectile speed

Firing costs health

Concept: I saw a flamethrower "reskin" that removed the gun and made the Pyro shoot fire from his hands. And since now we have weapons that don't require ammo, why not have a "flamethrower" that runs off your health instead (kind of like Prophunt). The alt-fire replaces the airblast (obviously). I like the concept of a Pyro being a team player while at the same time setting people on fire, so why not give him a pyrokinetic barrier that blocks projectiles and bullets and such (and also reduces damage to you). My idea is that while the barrier is up, the Pyro moves slightly slower, cannot fire his primary weapon (aka, this one, but you can switch to your secondary or melee), just so you can't be as much of a nigh-invulnerable fiery death machine as would be possible without it. +50% projectile speed is so you can actually hit people with your flames. The damage-to-self-style of firing helps in two ways: It allows the Pyro to assist in building an Ubercharge, and it requires some tactics other than running forward and attacking (unless you're Ubercharged).

The River of Fire
Level 1 Flame Thrower
This weapon fires a stream of napalm that arcs downwards
Fire cannot be put out by liquids
Can be fired underwater

No airblast

Concept: Give the Pyro some range for his attacks. You may not know this, but the Flamethrower's fire actually arcs upwards. The idea is that this weapon fires heavy napalm that can go further than your normal Flamethrower fire. If you arc the gun upwards, you can hit far away enemies with the stream of napalm (though like with any ranged projectile, this would be difficult). But, at closer ranges and at normal eye-level, you have less range. Because this gun shoots napalm and not regular old fire, liquids (like water, Jarate and Mad Milk) cannot put the burning out (Mediguns and Dispensers work as normal). In addition, the gun can be fired underwater, allowing you to actually do something about the guys who camp the water in 2fort or something. Because you're gaining a technically ranged attack that's harder to put out, a Pyro no longer has access to the airblast. But who needs the airblast when you can set people on fire from a range?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:42 pm

I like the River of Fire idea, as that is far more like a real combat flamethrower than the silly little short range rubbish we've got in the game. Actual combat flamethrowers do exactly what you're describing, shooting a stream of napalm (or very similar substance) which arcs, can deflect off walls and around corners, and has a reasonable range.

It would definitely be a different playstyle from puff-and-sting, and many folks wouldn't like Pyros not being able to extinguish people or deflect stuff, but I would give such a weapon a try. Certainly on offense I think it would be potentially viable, though on D I'd probably stick to my airblasting. Like real flamethrowers, it could be a bane to entrenched positions (ie, sentry nests). I definitely agree that Pyros should be about fire.
-Boss Llama

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:46 pm

I am all for giving the pyro longer range honestly, but to be fair you'd have to muck with the damage and damage falloff, or perhaps increase afterburn damage to be the primary damage source.
It's worth noting that at pt blank the normal flamethrower has massive damage, so being able to do that damage at range would be a little silly.

Also for anyone who wants to muck with afterburn damage, it's worth noting that all pyro weapons that cause burn do the afterburn damage based on the flamethrower the pyro is using (why flaregun/volcano fragment burn for less when using the degreaser).
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT: