Black Box Forever

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
polysatan
New Villun
New Villun

Re: Black Box Forever

Post by polysatan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 pm

As I work on getting better/understanding dustbowl on VI, Stage 3, Point B has been a problem for me on defense. I honestly have no idea what to do there when the enemy is pushing hard. Every class I try, I just die die die so fast. I tend to do mainly medic on D, but at this Point, I just cant stay alive.

That's when I had the thought of going soldier/black box, and just spamming the corner and the upper left door/balcony. Ding! Winning combo for me: I actually stay alive, due in no small part to the ease of getting multi-hits with rockets, and thus multiples of 15 health. This class/weapon combo really cracked that Point open for me.

Nezer
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Nezer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:35 pm

I don't mind the 1 less clip for the BB. Anything that I couldn't kill with my BB is then finished with my shot gun. That is unless your going against a heavy medic combo. Then I doubt a 4th rocket would save the day.

As far as BB and banners are concerned I think they are a bad combo. Not enough killing ability unless your in that tiny window of having buff banner deployed.

I find that the shotgun is a must for the BB. Because the BB will often leave a very injured player either running for his life or Kamikazeing at you, perfect for a quick shotty blast.

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I find that a shotgun is simply a must for all rocket launchers, unless you actually know how to rocket jump effectively enough to use the gunboats, and even then I find myself at a disadvantage, sadly the banners don't have enough killing power, the backup might be a good choice paired up with the stock RL though if you have a good medic on you.

The BB is a nice alternative when playing on a team without a medic, although sometimes I find myself missing that extra rocket since I like to jump around like a wild monkey :P

when I use the stock launcher I try to play it pretending I only have 3 rockets in my clip, always reloading before using up that last one so I can save it for when I really need it, either to jump away from danger or to get one last hit on a scout after I've clipped him enough with the shotgun. I think it's a good practice and it can potentially make you better with the BB, although personally that missing rocket is way too big a downside for me.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm

I find the Buff Banner helps me stay alive longer as a Soldier. I play most of the classes rather suicidally and the Banner gives me the incentive I need to do damage without putting myself in too dangerous situations.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:27 pm

I tend to use D-hit mostly, which is exceptional at pt blank killing, so shotgun is somewhat unnecessary.
That and a couple good D-hit shots fill up the buff banner, and then you can start 2-shotting heavies.

That being said, the shotgun can be a monster weapon, and I regularly use on pyro.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:15 pm

I can deal with the less ammo with it, I usually have it out all the time since i use the tank buster set alot and that is the only gun in the set. It's good when your team doesnt have alot of medics since the 15+ hp on hit can save your life it does for me.

With the set bonus and the backup banner up I lived for a pretty long time before dying. It's good if you ammo management isnt a problem for the player

three_gunn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by three_gunn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:38 pm

i love and can't stray far from the traditional RL / shotty set up. i like using the DH over the original RL mainly because of its increased speed.