A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
ShadyJane
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Why is CP_Warpath so popular?

Post by ShadyJane » Wed May 19, 2010 9:02 am

I for one can (and have) play that map for hours upon hours without ever tiring. In fact, sometimes 2 hours go by before a team even wins a single round. It is my favorite map and I constantly see the same usual suspects on TV8. Just out of curiosity, assuming you are a big fan of the warpath map, what do you like about it and why?

Cpt. Winky
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Why is CP_Warpath so popular?

Post by Cpt. Winky » Wed May 19, 2010 9:07 am

I find it tough to roll. I enjoy the back and forth nature, and how easily one can come back from the last point and win. Its a map where I can play for an hour and get at least one solid game in. I have played on some of the rotation servers and the maps change every 10 minutes due to steamrollage, or just the inability to band together as a team and push. Mostly its the people I must say. Joining a game and knowing like 18 of the 24 people playing is a great feeling. I feel like the guys in Cheers. Its the same bar, day after day, but its not the place that matters so much as the people there.

:icon_heart: RIP TW 1954 - 2008

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 am

In b4 Warpath haters start whining :P

I like the standoffs, the feeling of accomplishment you and your team gets when you cap a point. If you don't have a whole-team effort, you will not win Warpath.

Warpath players sometimes get the label that we're all srs bsns players. Anyone who was there two nights ago to hear us singing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" over alltalk would disagree :D What people see is that Warpath requires a constant effort on the part of offense and defense to maintain what ground they have and push out for the other points, so sometimes there needs to be an extended focused effort. Any TV8 reg can tell you the difference one or two good players can make in an otherwise one-sided game. There can also be some harping if someone breaks the wall below at a bad time. Breaking the wall is a highly tactical decision, points and games very much are won and lost by them.

The other thing I like about it is that no class is useless there. Some maps plays very difficult for some classes, but Warpath has something for everyone, and for someone like me who plays all the classes, that's very welcome.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Thom Yorke Obliterator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Post by Thom Yorke Obliterator » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 am

The scary thing is that it was just as addictive in the TFC days. The game has changed, but the map remains an icon.

They say that the great thing about riding a motorcycle is that it's such a pure, unspoiled experience. When you're riding, you aren't thinking about anything other than the road in front of you and the feel of the wind rushing over you. Warpath is the same way. It's a simple map with simple strategies. You just tune in, zone out and become part of it. Compare it to something like Steel where you're thinking about the complexities of the map rather than the purity of just being a Soldier (Demo, Sniper, whatever).

Personally, I love that. After a long, complex, mentally challenging day at the office I don't want to learn a new map. I want to spam a tunnel for two hours or rebuild a sentry in the same spot 100 times. It's a Zen thing. It cleanses the mind.
"After completing a trek of Kilimanjaro in 2009, Ronan Keating was asked by an interviewer which celebrity he would most like to throw off a mountain. Keating named Yorke, and referred to him as a "muppet," stating that Yorke was once rude to him." - from Wikipedia

Fizbon666
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Fizbon666 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:12 am

I too like that it's rarely over in 3 minutes. It's a long drawn out battle. There's something for every class. Corners for Demos, ridges for snipers, areas where rocket jumping helps. Good nests for Engies, multiple paths for spies. Unless the teams are really unbalanced, each point is a tough take, but doable with good coordination.

I usually play on that server until the main crowd wanders off then I play on whichever Rotation server has people and isn't full.
*edited to add*
Unless there's a decent group up on custom :D

bullet4o1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bullet4o1 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:21 am

I can only take so much of it. I like change :)
Intel I7 860 | Intel Board | 8GB DDR3 PC1600 | MSI HD5770 Juniper XT | 32 GB SSD | 4.25 TB's and counting!!

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Wed May 19, 2010 12:17 pm

I agree with everyone. I think I mostly like the drawn out back-and-forth.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Wed May 19, 2010 12:44 pm

this puts it quite well. for me there is a large chunk of nostalgia in it. and for those people that never played TFC, i can understand if they don't see it.

Thom Yorke Obliterator wrote:The scary thing is that it was just as addictive in the TFC days. The game has changed, but the map remains an icon.

They say that the great thing about riding a motorcycle is that it's such a pure, unspoiled experience. When you're riding, you aren't thinking about anything other than the road in front of you and the feel of the wind rushing over you. Warpath is the same way. It's a simple map with simple strategies. You just tune in, zone out and become part of it. Compare it to something like Steel where you're thinking about the complexities of the map rather than the purity of just being a Soldier (Demo, Sniper, whatever).

Personally, I love that. After a long, complex, mentally challenging day at the office I don't want to learn a new map. I want to spam a tunnel for two hours or rebuild a sentry in the same spot 100 times. It's a Zen thing. It cleanses the mind.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed May 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Gizanked wrote:this puts it quite well. for me there is a large chunk of nostalgia in it. and for those people that never played TFC, i can understand if they don't see it.
I loved TFC, I was just more of a well/2fort/badlands lover myself. Avanti was good too, but probably 80% of my time in TFC was spend on those three maps.
I am the 1%!

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 pm

TheCarpe wrote:Any TV8 reg can tell you the difference one or two good players can make in an otherwise one-sided game.
Like how Buzzy and I joined the other night and pushed from our final cap to win the round in, like, 5 minutes? :lol:

I like Warpath and I never played TFC. TYO is right in that it is cathartic just playing something you know inside and out for long periods of time. You could say the same thing about Dustbowl but, for me, Dustbowl draws some, uh, "interesting" non-Villuns.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed May 19, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm actually going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that more than likely, most people like warpath more for the people that play on it than the map itself. People play where their friends are. In my case, that server is TV1, but for a lot of people that happens to be TV8.

Yes, that's right. I'm defending the warpath server. Someone circle the calendar. :lol:
I am the 1%!

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Wed May 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Today May the Nineteenth, Year Two thousand and ten... Masakari defended warpath...

but it is a good point. but there was that initial shared interest that took you there in the first place. It's like in high school when you end up having a lot of friends with the last names close to yours because you were stuck in homeroom alphabetically. Were you friends before you went to homeroom or was being stuck in the same place help you hit it off?
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 pm

When I like TV8 it's for quality teamwork and gameplay. Sometimes people can be a little snippy and impatient on TV8, but other times people are laughing and having a good time and playing well together, which is great. Ultimately I don't play there every day just for variety's sake, I'm not always looking for that style of gameplay but it's nice to mix in.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed May 19, 2010 2:12 pm

People > maps

That being said, I find warpath to be too slow, also I can't flank at all on that map.

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Basically, I met everyone I know from the ville in TV8.

Plus, I loved the map in the TFC days so I just acclimated to the new atmosphere and now I enjoy being one of the regulars who welcomes newbies!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: