Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

do you think TF2 stats are useless?

Post by Dirty Dan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:54 am

I can't decide whether TF2 stats are useful in determining skill, because hlstatsx really just adds up the points you get during gameplay to a total instead of figuring out an average, correct? I guess the idea is that if you're good you gain a lot more points than less skilled players, but it's not adjusted for people that simply play a lot, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm kind of a stats-junkie so I was just kind of curious what other people think. Don't worry, I don't play selfishly to rack up points, I think stats are just fun to check out. The game is so team-work based that there are a lot of intangible "events" that aren't taken into account by stats so I don't think they're particularly useful in actually determining skill. Obviously the ville isn't ultra-competitive and teamwork isn't too intense, but teamwork is built intrinsically into the game to a certain extent.

All that being said, I'm glad the ville has stats because I look at them anyway.

What do you think?

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: do you think TF2 stats are useless?

Post by TheCarpe » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:59 am

Yeah, it's pretty well accepted that the stats are in kind of a middle ground between determining the best players and people who play the longest. Skill is a factor though, as if you die enough, you'll lose more points that you gain, and it gets harder to move up the higher in the ranks you get (since there will be fewer players you can get lots of points from, and many more players who will take your points).

That said, stats are best used to look into your own personal performance and see how you're doing. Checking your KDR or your use of certain weapons, for instance.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:01 am

Villuns, the longer they stay around here, tend to not care one way or the other, when it comes to stats.
The stats take second place to the fun of playing with other members of the community!

TheVille doesn't compete, but I would disagree on your comment on teamwork. Some of the best players out there, play at TheVille and we all thrive on teamwork. You just have to listen to Ladeee or Archon or many others pass on information about gameplay. IMHO the master of teamwork is Torven who is totally aware of everything around him.
I try but I'll never reach their level.

So the stats are interesting....but there are many of us who don't really look at them much
:D

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:11 am

They can provide interesting information for you if you look for it. It's nearly impossible to lose more points than you gain over any period longer than an hour or so, largely becuase you're generally going to be getting free points for team events.

I do like to check out where I am in the standings and see my kills with various weapons and see if I can crack at least 0.5:1 ratios againt the very good players. There's not much else to learn from them.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Novacaine
Villun
Villun

Post by Novacaine » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:18 am

They are useless for measuring skill. I am crushing relic by a large margin in the stats.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 am

I don't disagree that the ville is above average at all, that's why I play here; a good sense of community, (my previous community was in CSS and they've sense gone under) and good gameplay without taking it too seriously. On average gameplay is great, but there are also some ups and downs, but it is a pub. Again though, I'm not complaining, I love the environment and it's why I play here.

I'll always look at stats, I was just curious to see what people thought and if anyone found a particular stat interesting/useful. I think they're fun to look at, but I agree that solid gameplay and community are most important, that's definitely why I'm here.

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:20 am

The tf2 stats are still mostly individual based instead of team oriented stats. Those events are harder to pick out maybe or require too much logic checking for them to be detected on the fly in-game on the server side. The more specific you get with event sequences the more you need to account for exceptions of false positives. I don't think the game is robust enough for that, just yesterday, I killed a sniper with a flare just before he headshotted me and the game gave me credit for the sniper headshot and the sniper got credit for killing me with a flare.

A better question is what would be a wish list for stats you would like to see for tf2.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:24 am

[quote="StrontiumDog";p="179108"]
Villuns, the longer they stay around here, tend to not care one way or the other, when it comes to stats.
The stats take second place to the fun of playing with other members of the community!

TheVille doesn't compete, but I would disagree on your comment on teamwork. Some of the best players out there, play at TheVille and we all thrive on teamwork. You just have to listen to Ladeee or Archon or many others pass on information about gameplay. IMHO the master of teamwork is Torven who is totally aware of everything around him.
I try but I'll never reach their level.

So the stats are interesting....but there are many of us who don't really look at them much
[/quote]I think the only stats around here that people should e competing for is Seeding Points.

I am the 1%!

Aez
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Aez » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:33 am

Yeah, the HLStats usually just reward length of playtime and certain actions (e.g. dominations, revenges, destroying buildings, etc.) While HLStats / Time played is a better measure, it's still not very useful. I just use HLStats for the weapon stats - those are fun to look at.

[quote="Masakari";p="179115"][quote="StrontiumDog";p="179108"]
/snip

[/quote]I think the only stats around here that people should e competing for is Seeding Points.

:D[/quote]
Speaking of which, I'm tied with you in those :P. But seriously people, you should all come seed! It's a blast!

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 pm

I find them to be completely useless.

There are too many factors regarding skill to be measured by anything.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Any way stats are not what we are about anyway

Devastator
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Devastator » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:51 pm

They're somewhat accurate but they miss a lot of intangible

I look at stats only to know whos owning me :( .... to make them pay :) but also the stats tell me other things like what im doing wrong and if i have to make any change or adjustment in the way i play againts an specific class :D
no skill just gots and lotta lucky

AMD Phenom x4 9950 @ 3180 .... ATI radeon HD 3870 @ 810 .... OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 @ 1131 .... AMD kicking

ShadyIMG
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShadyIMG » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 pm

I don't really care about them too much unless I get to see them up front. TF 2 doesn't let me see player stats unless I go to their Steam page. So I'd rather not waste my time and just play and ask for balance when repeated wins/losses happen. XD
TVC 2009 Red Rum Robbers 3rd Place
TF 2: Others having fun at MY expense.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:57 pm

pretty much useless...

The only thing I look at are the daily awards, I like to win those. :D

Shifty
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Shifty » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:50 pm

[quote="StrontiumDog";p="179108"]IMHO the master of teamwork is Torven who is totally aware of everything around him.[/quote]

I'm not sure needling enemies while your teammates burn to death is teamwork. :lol: :lol: :lol: