What's the Deal With the Reserved Slots?

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
weebletns
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

What's the Deal With the Reserved Slots?

Post by weebletns » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 pm

Is it a donator perk, or for admins, or what is the criteria? Also, how does the game decide who to kick? These servers have stellar rotations and good games, but it is very frustrating to have been playing on one of the Ville servers for the better part of an hour and then be kicked for a reserved slot when other players joined just minutes ago. I'm not sure if this is by design, or if perhaps something is broken?

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: What's the Deal With the Reserved Slots?

Post by Flash » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:07 am

Welcome to the forums weebletns! :hi:

Reserved slots are a privilege for supporters, you can read about the access levels here: http://www.theville.org/forums/ville_supporters.php

When someone uses the revered slot, the script is supposed to kick the player who most recently joined the server that is not an admin or other supporter. This isn't to say it always works perfectly. But with as busy as our server are and with our large number of supporters, there is a chance that even after playing for an hour you could still best fit those criteria.

We know it can be frustrating, trust me we have all been in that position before, but the reserved slots are one of the best ways we can reward those who help keep this place and all our servers running.

Now that you're here, feel free to introduce yourself, get comfortable and let us know if you have any other questions.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:26 am

I thought the way it decides the player to kick is most recent when linking from site, but random through game? And most people would just boot the game, thus random.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 am

Katotsu wrote:I thought the way it decides the player to kick is most recent when linking from site, but random through game? And most people would just boot the game, thus random.
To quote a recent conversation on this same topic:
Stevo wrote:Both methods use the exact same selection process. It will choose the non-immune player with the shortest play time, favoring spectators.
ADevilishPotato wrote:huh, well I was then under the mistaken impression that console kicked a random player while the browser kicked the most recent to join.
Flash wrote:It used to be like that a while back, but Stevo fixed up the code.
I only fixed a problem that may have caused both methods to select a random player rather than the last to join. There's only one function for selecting a player, and both methods call that same function. I don't know if that was ever any different.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:52 am

Hehe it's deja vu! As Flash has said, both welcome to the forum, and yes it is a perk of people who help pay the bills around here to keep the fine ville servers plugging along. As also mentioned it is not supposed to, but sometimes gets hiccups and boots random players rather than the latest to join, to which we chalk up to the will o' Maaaeeebelle...

...Speaking of which, where has that goat gotten off to these days?
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent