Hopefully it's better than Star Wars Galaxies :lol:

regis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by regis » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:32 am

The only thing I liked about Galaxies was the space flight. Hopefully this will be a whole lot better.

Greyed
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Greyed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:06 am

[quote="[HALO]MasterChief";p="128901"]Hopefully it's better than Star Wars Galaxies :lol:[/quote]

I can't imagine it being any worse. I've played almost every MMO out there (wanna see my Motor City Online box?) and grew up on Star Wars (14 times in the theater... and I was 7) so a Star Wars MMO is about as close to a video game wet dream as I'll get. It lasted all of a week and a half on my computer before I couldn't stand it any more. I remember the final straw. Running up a perfectly vertical waterfall. As long as Bioware puts in sane movement rules and nothing else, at all, they've already done better than SoE ever did with SWG.

I would be surprised if this game doesn't come close to WoW in terms of popularity. Bioware right now is about where Blizzard was back in 2001. Blizzard had a very loyal following if its series. Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft. They had a solid reputation of doing good by their fans and turning out exceptional games. So when the release came they had a ready-made market in those fans that any other MMO would kill to have even today.

Bioware, by comparison, has a very loyal following of its series. Baulder's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, SW:KoToR. Jade Empire and Mass Effect are no slouches, either, just not series (yet? DUN-dun-DUNNNNNNN!). They have a solid reputation of doing good by their fans and turning out exceptional games. So come SW:TOR's release they will have a ready-made market in those fans that might rival Blizzard's own starting point.

They have the added benefits of having one of the most love universes in modern times as their playground and competing based on a sci-fi MMO in a market saturated with fantasy and lean on sci-fi. EvE, Planetside, SWG, TMO are the only really serious sci-fi MMOs. The only other serious entry that has been announced between now and when SW:TOR might be released is Stargate Worlds.

Will they match WoW's meteoric rise? Probably not. Will they secure a tasty second place? I would be highly surprised if they did not.
[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=22614][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=22614&background=random[/img][/url]

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:17 am

[quote="Greyed";p="128956"][quote="[HALO]MasterChief";p="128901"]Hopefully it's better than Star Wars Galaxies :lol:[/quote]

I can't imagine it being any worse. I've played almost every MMO out there (wanna see my Motor City Online box?) and grew up on Star Wars (14 times in the theater... and I was 7) so a Star Wars MMO is about as close to a video game wet dream as I'll get. It lasted all of a week and a half on my computer before I couldn't stand it any more. I remember the final straw. Running up a perfectly vertical waterfall. As long as Bioware puts in sane movement rules and nothing else, at all, they've already done better than SoE ever did with SWG.

I would be surprised if this game doesn't come close to WoW in terms of popularity. Bioware right now is about where Blizzard was back in 2001. Blizzard had a very loyal following if its series. Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft. They had a solid reputation of doing good by their fans and turning out exceptional games. So when the release came they had a ready-made market in those fans that any other MMO would kill to have even today.

Bioware, by comparison, has a very loyal following of its series. Baulder's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, SW:KoToR. Jade Empire and Mass Effect are no slouches, either, just not series (yet? DUN-dun-DUNNNNNNN!). They have a solid reputation of doing good by their fans and turning out exceptional games. So come SW:TOR's release they will have a ready-made market in those fans that might rival Blizzard's own starting point.

They have the added benefits of having one of the most love universes in modern times as their playground and competing based on a sci-fi MMO in a market saturated with fantasy and lean on sci-fi. EvE, Planetside, SWG, TMO are the only really serious sci-fi MMOs. The only other serious entry that has been announced between now and when SW:TOR might be released is Stargate Worlds.

Will they match WoW's meteoric rise? Probably not. Will they secure a tasty second place? I would be highly surprised if they did not.[/quote]

I played galaxies for a little while and enjoyed the over all feel of the game. But after a while there was just nothing left to do. I quite a little before the space expansion came out.

Its a shame that Galaxies wasn't too good, because the Star Wars universe is perfect for an MMO. And I thought the similarites between Bioware and Blizzard are right on. So I have hopes that this game would be good.

While I love the Stargate series I have a feeling that Stargate worlds isn't going to be that great. I hope that it will be good, but I've just got that feeling that it won't.

Espada
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Espada » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Played the beta and loved it. I just got my Early Access and made Kitten the Sith Inquisitor on the Hyperspace Cannon server. If anyone else picks this up be sure to let me know!

"He's like a guardian angel with a tan hat and a bushy beard!"

unknown
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by unknown » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:20 pm

I think im done with MMOs. its the same thing over and over

Archon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Archon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:09 pm

some friends of mine had a guild created, and now imported to dragon tail pvp server. my bounty hunter is becomming more evil by the minute :twisted:
USER, n.: The word computer professionals use when they mean 'idiot.'

Oni
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Oni » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 am

I'm on the fence about even trying this with my experience with Galaxies. I play galaxies when it was released for 3-4 months but I finally gave it up. I was a droid engineer that couldn't make anything useful.

One could argue I shouldnt' have went down that path until they actually patched in something useful but I went down that path because I liked the concept.

I'm going to read reviews very carefully and watch it for 6 months. If people are still relatively happy after that...I may take the plunge.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:47 am

I'm on the Shadow Hand PVE server. Playing a Bounty Hunter Merc named Barius.

I'm really enjoying it so far. If nothing else, I will get plenty of enjoyment out of the questing/story stuff. Unsure of what it will be like after max level.

Oni, I can't really compare this game to Galaxies at all. Other than it being Star Wars. Galaxies was so buggy and bad when I played it. For the most part, TOR's mechanics are almost cut and paste from WoW. But the questing and story telling is 1000 times better than anything WoW ever did. It feels a lot like Bioware single player games with all the voice acting.

I'm still in the early stages of the game so it will be interesting to see what it's like end game.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm looking for someone who is going to be active on a pvp server playing as jedi side.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:20 pm

This game doesn't exist...I got it at 11:57 Eastern...and now at 1:13 Eastern, It still is downloading things several gigs big...I swear I've downloaded about 5 million gigs worth of files from this game...all the while the overall progress bar has indicated about 99.99% done (which by the way went from 0% to 99% after I downliaded a 3 MB file...it has remained at about 99% all through the multi gig files I've downloaded) The files themselves are utter nonsense, English video 1, main assets 1, main assets 17 (how can i have different "main assets") English assets 1, and a myriad of others that just seem to be a variation of "English" "Video" "Asset" and "Main" with random numbers placed after them

I would also note that I have been Downloading at 5MB/s so its not like its going slow...just this game doesnt exist...unless the game is to see how long I can download things before I force choke someone
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:48 pm

For the record...I got into the game...and proceeded to force choke npc's...it was glorious
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Me and Taco have Republic characters on Ajunta Pull if anyone wants to join us.
Taco is a Jedi and I am a badass,

three_gunn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by three_gunn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:38 am

I'm on The Daviks Estate PvP server currently at lvl 17 as a Trooper Vanguard tank, named Genetonix. hit me up if you want to run any instances!

p.s. Skyrim is still king.