PhantomFighter
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

World of Goo

Post by PhantomFighter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Has anyone seen the recent Steam release 2DBoy: World of Goo? If you like puzzle games it's pretty amusing. Has anyone else tried and/or bought this game yet?

The ratings that this thing is getting are amazing. IGN gave it 9.5, while their readers gave it a 9.9.

You can download a demo of the first chapter (out of four chapters in the full game).

Here's one good reason to support these guys:
people are good (an update on our DRM experiment)
Thursday, October 9th, 2008

as some of you already know, world of goo will be released DRM-free on our website. once a purchase is made, a download link is sent out and there are no restrictions on where and how many times the game can be installed or additional hoops to jump through before it can be played.

so far, the experiment is going well. we’ve sent the full unprotected game out to the few thousand people who pre-ordered it before this past monday and we haven’t yet found the game on any torrent sites. we were told about one warez site where someone posted the chapter 1 preview and their magic key (the key is needed because the preview did have some homebrew copy protection, it came out before we decided to go DRM-free). frankly, we’re pretty amazed and encouraged that this is the extent of the piracy we’ve seen.

so a big 2D thank you to everyone who’s helping us show that if you treat gamers with trust and respect, the same treatment tends to be returned.

i’d like to end with a request for help: if you see world of goo being freely distributed somewhere, please send us a note about it from our contact page. it’s not something we intend to fight, we’d just like to be able to share the data from this experiment with the rest of the game development community, hopefully to encourage more DRM-free games.
Of course, if you think about that quote you may want to buy direct rather than Steam it... Hmmm..

TPF

Cheesy89
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Re: World of Goo

Post by Cheesy89 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:42 pm

I played the demo and it's really fun :) .
[img=left]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/4606/newsig.jpg[/img]

Cpt. Winky
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt. Winky » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:35 pm

[quote="PhantomFighter";p="127552"]Image

Has anyone seen the recent Steam release 2DBoy: World of Goo? If you like puzzle games it's pretty amusing. Has anyone else tried and/or bought this game yet?

The ratings that this thing is getting are amazing. IGN gave it 9.5, while their readers gave it a 9.9.

You can download a demo of the first chapter (out of four chapters in the full game).

Here's one good reason to support these guys:
people are good (an update on our DRM experiment)
Thursday, October 9th, 2008

as some of you already know, world of goo will be released DRM-free on our website. once a purchase is made, a download link is sent out and there are no restrictions on where and how many times the game can be installed or additional hoops to jump through before it can be played.

so far, the experiment is going well. we’ve sent the full unprotected game out to the few thousand people who pre-ordered it before this past monday and we haven’t yet found the game on any torrent sites. we were told about one warez site where someone posted the chapter 1 preview and their magic key (the key is needed because the preview did have some homebrew copy protection, it came out before we decided to go DRM-free). frankly, we’re pretty amazed and encouraged that this is the extent of the piracy we’ve seen.

so a big 2D thank you to everyone who’s helping us show that if you treat gamers with trust and respect, the same treatment tends to be returned.

i’d like to end with a request for help: if you see world of goo being freely distributed somewhere, please send us a note about it from our contact page. it’s not something we intend to fight, we’d just like to be able to share the data from this experiment with the rest of the game development community, hopefully to encourage more DRM-free games.
Of course, if you think about that quote you may want to buy direct rather than Steam it... Hmmm..

TPF[/quote]

my dream...DRM free games. My brother was really psyched to get Spore, but he hated the DRM so much that he refused to buy it. I would say that most games' DRM is fine, though EA games go a little rights crazy. EA games have accused me of stealing the game, even when I sill have the proof of purchase. :? A DRM free\lessened world will be openly welcomed by me! i should get the demo and see how it is with those kinds of reviews.

:icon_heart: RIP TW 1954 - 2008

prometheus
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by prometheus » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:42 pm

I like the "OCD" level of finishing :P

three_gunn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by three_gunn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:57 am

i plan on giving it a shot tonight. looks fun!

PhantomFighter
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by PhantomFighter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:51 pm

Well, I went ahead and made the purchase; it's only $20.

They are making Mac and Linux native (yes, pick your jaw up off the floor) versions available soon. However, for the impatient I ran it flawlessly using a current version of Wine on Gentoo Linux.

And, yes, if you buy it directly from them you get an email containing a personal download link to a non-drm (read as zero copy protection) game with a simple note attached that asks you kindly not to redistribute the file. You've just got to love these guys.

Cheers

TPF

Araris
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Araris » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Phantom, the game is amazing, by far the next best thing after killing you.

three_gunn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by three_gunn » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:18 am

i completed the chapter 1 demo and really dug it. i plan on buying the whole thing in the near future. the "tower of goo" wasn't the last stage of chapter 1 but to me was the most difficult. it's a puzzler mixed with a humorous storyline. it's limited in 'action' but the visuals/animations/musical scores make up for it. the whole demo was a blast. well done (so far) for an indie game.

PhantomFighter
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Favorite Goo

Post by PhantomFighter » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:22 pm

Despite the constant distraction that is TF2, I'm well into chapter 3, and so far my favorite Goo has got to be the drool ball. :lol:

You'd think you could only do so much with Goo. But the different kinds of goo and variety of puzzles using combinations thereof are very creative! Hope lots enjoy this game and reward these guys for their work.

CastleDoctrine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CastleDoctrine » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 am

Huzzah! I pestered Best Buy into carrying the hard copy!
My Eiffel Tower of Goo shall rule supreme! *if I can pry Noodge away from the L4D demo*

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:09 am

[quote="CastleDoctrine";p="133552"]
Huzzah! I pestered Best Buy into carrying the hard copy!
My Eiffel Tower of Goo shall rule supreme! *if I can pry Noodge away from the L4D demo*
[/quote]

:lol:

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:02 pm

I just finished the demo last night, and I'm really thinking about if I should buy the-
Screw it, I'm buying it >_> Hey, look! A demo for a game I might like! I'ma try that first >_>;;
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

Trinith
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Trinith » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:48 pm

That's cool (about the DRM). Though there's no DRM if you buy it on Steam either, is there?

Sadly, I bought Spore before I found out about DRM. I refuse to buy anything with DRM now, plain and simple. If I buy it, I should be able to install it as many times as I like and, I should be able to lend the game to my friend if I want, just like I used to do with my game cartridges back in the day.

Yea, it sucks that some people pirate your game, but punish them. Not me, a paying customer.

:x