dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

I want to buy a New 3DS Xl but don't know how to go about it

Post by dammets89 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 pm

I haven't bought a new console since 2006 and haven't had a new handheld since 2003. I want to change that and get a 3DS, but what keeping me from doing so are the prices. A new "new" 3ds xl is $200 which is okay I suppose, but the majority of the games are $30+, even ones that are 4+ years old. As someone that primarily plays on pc and is used to price drops, sales, and bundles, how am I meant to shop for these games without breaking the bank?
2013 Ville Cup- GOD (Group of Drunks) 2nd Place
2014 Ville Cup- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent 3rd place

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: I want to buy a New 3DS Xl but don't know how to go abou

Post by Will T. » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Unfortunately Nintendo is notorious for not dropping their games' prices. Super Mario 64 DS, released in 2004, has only dropped from its original $35 to $30 in the last couple years. Even their eShop sales are underwhelming - don't expect more than 10-15% off big-name titles on the rare occasion that they offer discounts. Steam has definitely spoiled us. :P

There are still ways to go about saving some cash though:

- Keep an eye out for hardware bundles. The N3DS doesn't seem to have a lot of bundles that I can find, but if you hunt around, you can find versions with games included.

- Get eShop cards when they go on sale, then buy digital games. Best Buy sometimes sells eShop cards for 10-20% off, meaning you can get a $50 credit for $40. Going digital is also nice so you don't wind up with two dozen cartridges to keep track of. You can't resell your games though, so if you like to do that, this option might not be for you.

- Shop in places that have frequent sales. Amazon often gives a dollar or two off of popular games, and Best Buy runs occasional sales on 3DS software. Don't expect Steam-level discounts, but you can still scrape an extra buck or two.

- Go for used software online. eBay is a great place to pick up used games for 25-50% off the new price. You always have to be wary of fakes, but that hasn't become nearly the problem for the 3DS that it has for the GBA or the original DS. Just do your research, and you should be able to snag legit games for a good deal. Plus, depending on the game, e.g. Pokemon, you might find something worth your while on the previous owner's save file.

- If all else fails and you're desperate to save money but still want to play 3DS games, go for an original 3DS XL or even a 2DS. Both are significantly cheaper than the N3DS, if you don't mind them being slightly less powerful (which doesn't matter too much right now, but might down the line). The 2DS is only $80 and often includes a $40 game, making it one of the best hardware-cost-to-software-cost bundles ever. (It has no 3D feature though, obviously.) The original 3DS XL is also often sold with at least one packed-in title.