Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Super Mario Maker

Post by Will T. » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Now that Nintendo's official Mario level editor is out in the wild, why don't we swap level codes so we can see what each other have been working on? You can get the 16-digit code from the post that got auto-created on your Miiverse page when publishing the level (you can do it on the PC via the Miiverse website), or you can look it up in-game. Post it here, then we can play each other's levels!

Here are mine so far:

Think Twice! (New SMB)
9F16-0000-001E-15E2

My first published outing with the editor. Your first instinct with each element you see might not be the optimal action to take - if you rush through, you can finish it in seconds with little trouble; but stop and analyze, and you can get two hidden 1-up mushrooms and a total of 160 coins.

Cloudy Voyage (Original SMB)
7AC0-0000-001E-C768

I've always liked riding on Lakitu's cloud, but there's rarely been a reason or opportunity to do so in the core Mario games. This level centers on the cloud, requiring it in order to progress.

Castle Rush (New SMB)
CE0B-0000-0027-F376

A combination of speed and careful timing are required. There are two secret 1-up mushrooms to find.

Four Simple Pipes (SMB3)
1706-0000-002A-7EC5

Just a short, straightforward level with a lot of falling platforms. Mostly I just wanted to use the SMB3 assets and see how much verticality I could fit into a single stage. It's not that interesting, unfortunately, but at least I think it plays solidly.

Skytanic (Original SMB)
93C6-0000-0031-1D03

I really like how they made new style-appropriate assets so that all level styles could be used in all games, e.g. ghost houses in SMB3 and airships in the original Super Mario Bros. This level featues the latter.

Share your creations here!

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Super Mario Maker

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:12 pm

I like Mario Maker and all that but I've spent too much time with Lunar Magic. Compared to Lunar Magic, Mario Maker is lacking a lot of helpful items and features, such as slopes and multiple pipe exits (or the ability to end the stage on a different map). But whatever, this is still a really cool game to get your ideas out there. It's just lacking a bit.

I'm also concerned about the average skill of Mario players in this game. While I get that these are stages we haven't memorized yet, I find that there's an unusually high amount of deaths on my stages that are built to be more forgiving than most of the kill-trap stages online. I build my stages closer to the style of real Mario stages but somehow I see a large number of deaths on the first enemy and said enemy can't even get you until you start moving and have a chance to grab a powerup.

Here's what I have.

Pipe Pit: EFEA-0000-0015-F6A2
-When you're just getting started you have next to nothing to work with. I did what I could to make the best of it and took advantage of the pipe-spawning enemies. It turned out pretty well though there is a spot close to the end that seems to be a bit of a magnet for deaths.

Cheep Cheep Lagoon: B042-0000-001E-0A0D
-More of the same, though this one takes advantage of the underwater mechanics. Gotta be careful with water stages though since they tend to be really slow.

Molten Fortress: 19EE-0000-001E-047D
-Basic castle stage. Not a whole lot to it but there is some tricky platforming about halfway through that catches a lot of people up. Remember that you can perform wall jumps in New Super Mario Bros. U mode.

The Airforce: 508F-0000-001D-B02C
-A fairly challenging airship stage that's a throwback to the one airship stage close to the end of Mario 3. Jump across an armada of small airships to reach your goal while dodging cannon fire and Rocky Wrenches.

Mushroom Vista: 471D-0000-0028-70F6
-I tried to recreate the feel of some of the platforming stages of the original game (1-3 for example). It's a stage about hopping from mushroom to ledge while dodging Koopas.

Junior's Trap Hideout: 1D02-0000-002A-EEC4
-Probably one of my hardest courses, it's a recreation of a stage I built during my Lunar Magic days, though Mario Maker has an arbitrary block limit and I couldn't make it perfect. Despite that it's a nasty castle course where fire bars, Magikoopas, and sawblades provide a constant platforming challenge throughout. And be careful when you have to platform while spinjumping on turn blocks.

The Wiggler Express: DFB2-0000-002B-603E
-Another shot at recreating a stage from Lunar Magic, but altered quite a bit due to Mario Maker's engine limits. The stage was meant to be a guided platform and you were supposed to dodge obstacles. The problem is that only one of the platform options goes faster than snail's pace, but it goes way too fast to keep up. In searching for solutions, I found you can attach enemies to the tracks, including Wigglers. So this course became a Wiggler on a rail where you still have to dodge hazards while bouncing on his back.

Koopa Pipe Plains: 0C74-0000-001B-B07A
-This stage is a joint effort between myself and my brother using the very limited starter items once again. It turned out pretty good and it's actually higher rated than anything I've built on my own.

Don't forget you can subscribe to an author. While viewing stage information, you can click on the Mii icon in the corner which will bring up the person's profile. Then click the heart in the top-right and you'll follow the person. You can get a look at their uploads and starred courses from the Makers page of the Course World once you've done so.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.