BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Cities Skylines

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:08 am

I haven't seen many people talk about this game on the forums yet. It's being made by a small Finnish(?) dev time and closely published by Paradox. This is the same dev team that made cities in motion. It seems really promising and the devs are very transparent. On Thursday they released the media embargo for youtubers and twitch streamers however, they still have a review ban.

Anyways, over the weekend I've watched tons of hours. A few developers were streaming too and were watching streams and joining chat along with Q and As.

I know a bunch of us on teamspeak are picking it up, hopefully it'll revive the city sim genre. Some features are fully simulated sims. 36k square (unmodded) map size. Full steam workshop. Water physics. Map generator.

The game is $29.99 on steam, but can be found other places for cheaper (requires steam to play).
https://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/
VIEW CONTENT:
VIEW CONTENT:
VIEW CONTENT:
VIEW CONTENT:
VIEW CONTENT:
VIEW CONTENT:

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Cities Skylines

Post by The Domer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:11 am

I'm pretty excited about this game but I will be waiting for a while to pick it up. I need reviews and the first rounds of patching first. I'm also curious what their DLC model is going to be. Nevertheless, I have cautiously high expectations for this game.

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:33 pm

If this is anywhere near as good as SimCity 4, I'll probably get it.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:36 pm

There's tons of youtube let's plays and twitch streamers, reviews are not allowed until release.

For their DLC model it's supposed to follow typical paradox games. For example, with Crusader Kings II, there are a lot of DLC. Most however are $1-2 and are just art (like additional building looks). Then there will be major DLC patches $10-15. These are typical game changing adding major new features. The first planned DLC will be free and will include tunnels. You also have to keep in mind they already released full modding API and will be using steam workshop. Like their other games, the stuff sold as the lower DLC could just be modded in. In steam workshop for example, someone already was able to mod an unlock to use the entire map. That's 100 km square compared to the max 36 km square the game limits. (the CEO said during one stream I was watching that the limitation is to allow max performance on minimum requirements).

Just since the early release for twitch/youtubers on Thursday there have already been 3 or 4 patches. So I think that is good sign. Like I said, the dev team has been pretty transparent with activity on the subreddit and twitch channels.

Nerevarine, I don't think you're going to get the massive cities like today's modded Civ 4 is. The game has a 1mil sim cap. This is because all sims are simulated and they created an engine constraints. And boy are there tons of simulation. All industry has to transport outside city. Coal plants need to import coal. Sims need to drive to work and go shop. Sewage needs to go somewhere. Water needs to be pumped in. Garbage men drive around city picking up trash and taking it to the dump. Morge guys drive around city picking up dead and taking them to graveyards.

I think the feature that impressed me the most was flowing water. YOu can build hydro dams which will create lakes behind them. You can flood your city doing this. However, the game doesn't have any disasters (hopefully a DLC). Buildings can catch on fire but doesn't spread. Can burn down if firemen don't arrive in time. Flooded buildings go abandon.

Kilgore Trout
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Kilgore Trout » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:35 pm

I've spent the last week at work watching gameplay streams and I've taken tomorrow off work so I can play at release. So yeah I'm pretty excited.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:23 pm

I think this is what really won me over and got me to pre-order a game.

https://gfycat.com/ClassicPinkDotterel

Also, most of the streamers are retarded: http://i.imgur.com/n1M7tm7.jpg

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:15 am

I'm very interested, but I'll wait until some post-launch gameplay and reviews come out before deciding to buy it or not. I really want this to be good.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:14 am

NerevarineKing wrote:I'm very interested, but I'll wait until some post-launch gameplay and reviews come out before deciding to buy it or not. I really want this to be good.
Ditto!

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:48 am

Good reviews so far from what I've seen. Impressions from those of you that bought it?

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:48 am

Good reviews so far from what I've seen. Impressions from those of you that bought it?

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:29 am

Alright I bought it and I've played 3 hours and I'm really enjoying it so far.

The game strikes a nice balance between holding your hand and letting you figure things out on your own. I'm inexperienced and my only 2 screw ups is setting my water drain upstream from the water pumping station (even after the game warned me about that, I didn't realize what direction the water flowed) and not handling my traffic situation from the start very well (I may have to tear down or move a ton of buildings to fix this). But it's fun, everything works and it's easy to see what your city needs and grow from there.

Some people are complaining it's too easy but there's a hard-mode mod for that.

I can see why people are calling this game "The true City simulator we were waiting for".

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 am

Guardian wrote:Some people are complaining it's too easy but there's a hard-mode mod for that.
Mods were what made SC4 great... I love to see the support modders are getting in this game.

Guys, I'm tempted to buy this but I don't have the time to play. I need a support group.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:35 am

The hard mode mod I'm talking about is actually one prepacked by the devs. This is also how they added in the cheats which is an interesting way of promoting mod use.

However while a couple mods have sprung up, there's not a lot of super crazy stuff yet so you can wait to see if the super awesome mod pack gets released.

Really I'm waiting on a mod pack that introduces more variety of buildings I'm seeing the same ones pop up over and over again.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Some mods that already popped up are:

The 1st person mod, lets you view your cities from the eyes of your citizens.
The viewpath mod, when clicking a vehicle it'll show their entire intended path from start to finish
The entire map mod, unlocks all 25 tiles of the map.

The are also tons of assets already made. One guy out these is making a lot of nicely polished buildings.
What I'm waiting for is someone to make a greater variety of vehicles.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Moo (the community manager) has already created a couple mod collections of the best mods in the community already: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... ec450d23d0

I've enjoyed my 20 hours in my vanilla city, though the challenge is kinda gone and I'm wondering if I still want to keep building blocks with my infinite money....