Half Life 2: Episode 3/HL3 Talk: Tonight is the last night

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Jonathin
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Half Life 2: Episode 3/HL3 Talk: Tonight is the last night

Post by Jonathin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:47 pm

At 12:00 AM tonight, it shall be the official 10th anniversary of Half Life 2. After that, if they don't say anything I am chalking it all up to 'poop we gave up for money from DOTA and TF2'.

Too dramatic? Maybe, I wasn't around when Valve did all the amazing things like helping the FBI track down the hacker that leaked the game code for HL2 or something. Honestly though, cool things done a decade ago doesn't have much valve to me, if it's not updated with more awesome things.

And really, I'm already fed up with Valve about this. The last time they said they had 3 big announcements it was really just one announcement Steam Box broken into 3 parts. I don't think they have content for the HL fan base, just apathy because they are a big, big company now.

They said FPS's don't sell as well as multilayer, and that was the kiss of death for any hype or hope I had for the series.

*But they're going to announce it for the Steam Box/OS
That won't work to make sales or profit. The last time a HL game came out was 2007. What consumer base has a attention span of 7 years? The ones who are die hard fans are in their 30's or so, and the meat of sales probably won't even know what Half Life is. So I don't see any advantage, in any way making it the exclusive for a new gaming console. And can't you already play that "entirely new engine" on Dota 2? If so can it possibly live up to more hype than Duke Nuke Forever?

Think about that as well, DNF. Remember all the jokes and memes and what have you, about Did Not Finish? Remember when it came out and it was the worst disappointment of the year? I do, and even though I was never a DN fan I felt disappointment by proxy. Now HL3 is older than that game in vaperspace. HL ep 3/HL:3 has had some concept art leaked and some screen shots leaked but DNF had more trailers and news officially released. Granted it was mostly just freaking acknowledgment it was taking a while and it will be done 'when it's done'. What have Valve done? They haven't even confirmed or denied the series is dead. What does that say?

Remember when there was a protest, and I think even boycott, over L4D2 and how fans thought Valve was leaving it's HL roots by focusing on other games? I think even Gaben talked to the 2 leaders of the movement and assured them HL wasn't dead. I wonder what the three of them think of that now in 2014, soon 2015.

I may be a entitled consumer and doesn't know what he's talking about, but I have never ever been used to cliff hangers, and Episodes 2's one is the worst case for me. I would take a flat out statement saying the series is canned, or anything. But dead silence? That's why I am making this post, tonight on the 10th anniversary.

If nothing happens, which I highly suspect it does, life will go on as normal, but I'll still have this feeling of bitterness to the company. Besides keeping in touch with old friends, Steam doesn't do anything for me save playing TF2, and even that has been a chore for me lately. idk, maybe I'll look into GOG more often now for games.

Last note, if nothing happens, I'm viewing the whole thing dead, Valve to be a bunch of money obsessed guys, and this to be a fair well to old single player games from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_TFXbSnLY

I'd like to go on thinking this, rather than the nothingness I'm bitter over.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Half Life 2: Episode 3/HL3 Talk: Tonight is the last nig

Post by The Domer » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:08 pm

I like video games.

Jonathin
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Jonathin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Press F to enjoy video games.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Gordon died on the way back to his home planet in the Advisor attack at the end of Episode 2. We just didn't see it because he passed out when he saw Eli killed.

That's my theory anyway.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Valve games take a long time because they make them just right. TF2 took seven years and look at how it turned out in the end.

Patience, young one. The day will come.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

LonelyTentacle
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LonelyTentacle » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:09 am

Valve will never move on from Half-Life, because it is a huge cash cow for them. That doesn't mean they'll make the game just to make it. The Half-Life games are considered among the greatest games ever made and the biggest innovators of the genre. This high standard is something they want to hold up to with each installment unlike other companies that release yearly installments of franchises until they are beaten to death. As Carpe said they take a lot of time to finally get each title out the door, but they always eventually get to finishing them. When they do....they come out with some of the best games of the generation.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:15 pm

I'd like to see a Half-Life game that uses all the ideas that were scrapped after the Russian leak of HL2. It sounds as if they threw away 100% of their content up to that point and started over from scratch, despite some great ideas being present and partially fleshed-out. I'd like to see stuff like the Air Exchange made into a reality. Maybe HL3/Ep3 could be about Gordon dismantling the last of the Combine's major facilities on Earth? It could even end with an awkward platforming segment in the Combine's home dimension as a nod to Xen in HL1! :P

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Unless Half life 3 cure at least 3 different types of cancer it will not live up to the hype. Not in a million years.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99