bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Guild Wars 2

Post by bluntspoon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:46 pm

I stopped playing Everquest 9 years ago after the birth of my second child. I find myself looking to get back into an MMO type game again but am still a bit leery of the time sink. Was wondering if Guild Wars 2 might be a way to test the waters. Right now it's $20. Interested in opinions on the game and if it's something that can be enjoyed if I'm only looking to play for an hour or 2 in a session. Mostly solo I would imagine.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by Guardian » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:26 pm

I've been playing Guild wars 2 since launch and I can tell you the game is very casual friendly and your 2 hour or so a day play-style will fit nicely in it. The game is probably the friendliest and best leveling experience from 1-80 in any MMO, almost everything do you gives you XP. In fact, thanks to the recent NPE and megaserver system (basically you'll always have people to play with), Guild wars 2 is probably at it's best if your starting out.

I can give you tips on various parts of the game but overall, it's a very low-required commitment MMO that's doing well and seems to be retaining a decent audience.

The only reason complaint I have against it is that we're currently in a content drought and I've done pretty much everything the MMO has to offer at this point and I'm waiting for their next living story update (which actually comes out on Tuesday).

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm in the opposite place you are Guardian. I didn't play for a while, so I got a bunch to do. Though for 20 bucks its a hell of a deal. The leveling is one of my favorite in MMOs. The PvP is okay, but WvW is a blast.

I will complain about the gem/gold thing. The exchange rate just seems so inflated to me. I used to be able to buy acouple hundred with 12 gold, now it's 9 gems per gold. What happened?

I'm on the Stormbluff Isle server btw.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Well I'm sold.

Purchased and downloading now.

Archon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Archon » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:07 am

the halloween event will be going on til tuesday. getting in a good instance of mad king's labyrinth is a good way lvl up quick.

if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a mail or pm in game. Archon.6753
USER, n.: The word computer professionals use when they mean 'idiot.'

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:42 am

Oh, that reminds me. I need to run that. Last year was the maze, I think?
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:51 pm

Everything is the same as last year for Halloween (Content drought). It'll also mostly return next year so don't be too worried about missing out and just focusing on the main game.

Also the Gem to Gold system is player driven. All Gold that you get from Gems must be from players who want Gems from Gold and the rate changes based on how many players are exchanging gold for gems and vice-versa which is why it always spikes when there's a gem store sale going on.

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Well, up to Level 10 as a Mezmer and so far everything Guardian says is true. Very friendly for people like me who don't have a lot of time and like to wander around a bit and explore, rather than power through the levels.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Some piece of advice bluntspoon, while your leveling you might want to go out of your way to ensure unlock traits if you see an event going on in the leveling area your in at the time.

Here's a guide that actually details where every unlock event for each of them is: http://dulfy.net/2014/04/19/gw2-traits-unlocking-guide/

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Guardian wrote:Some piece of advice bluntspoon, while your leveling you might want to go out of your way to ensure unlock traits if you see an event going on in the leveling area your in at the time.

Here's a guide that actually details where every unlock event for each of them is: http://dulfy.net/2014/04/19/gw2-traits-unlocking-guide/
Thanks Guardian. Will take a look. Honestly only even realized traits were a thing a day or so ago. I'm basically doing any event that pops as I run around and I think I'm level 20 atm so will see what happens. I read traits don't hit until 30 so will pay some more attention when I get closer.

I also only just realized I could swap weapons during a fight so there's that also. It was something of a revaluation. :)

I'm mostly just running around exploring, doing events as I see them and hitting points of interest and way points. I felt all big and bad until I went into Kessex hills at 17 and repeatedly had my ass handed to me by various mobs.

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Holy crap. I can use all those skill points to.......UPGRADE SKILLS!

I have 30 skill points sitting there. I always thought my healing sucked and now I know why. Good lord, I need to RTFM.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:14 am

If your talking healing and utility skills you can unlock, they're largely sidegrades, although Signet of Ether is pretty sweet on the mesmer.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:17 pm

I also bought the game over the weekend. What server does The Ville play on?

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:40 pm

I'm on Stormbluff, same as Larry. Although I "think" you can join groups across servers with friends. I'm having a blast Meta, the world is ENORMOUS. for $20 it's a damn steal.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:17 pm

Server choice only matters for WvW, if it helps I'm on Isle of Janthir.

In PvE Megaservers match up pretty much everyone to make sure all the maps are full.