Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Mario kart 8

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:24 am

Will T. wrote: - The bottom-right of that image, which is the same as this image, looks a heck of a lot like MK7's Mario Circuit, unless I'm mistaken.
I think that's just Royal Raceway. RR is pretty heavy on the peach blossoms.

In related news, all of the DLC is up on the Wii-U shop. The Mercedes-Benz pack is free. The Zelda and Animal Crossing packs are $7.99 each, but you can get them both together in one pack for $11.99. Mercedes is out now, the rest are due in November.

Also: They fixed the stupid post-race menus! It now defaults to "Next Race" instead of "View Highlight Reel"!

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:53 am

From the looks of things, only the Yoshi Egg cup icon was used (and indeed updated)

The others: Triforce, Animal Crossing Leaf, and Super Bell.

Also Nintendo can't math:

$7.99 =/= £7.00, and $11.99 =/= £11.00

EDIT: Placeholder cards for the characters and cups appear in the game now. The Yoshi Egg and AC Leaf cups are listed adjacent to the Nitro Cups, while the Triforce and Super Bell cups are listed adjacent to the Retro Cups. DLC 1 are color-coded green, while DLC 2 are color-coded orange.

Additionally, the game now shows various statistics that were originally hidden: Stuff like your wins and losses, your favorite character, favorite course, etc., but most importantly: how many Coins you've accumulated.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 am

I've been playing online recently. Despite being kinda laggy and people jumping around everywhere, I find it less rage-inducing than playing against the AI.

Totally official Names for the cups:

Image Triforce Cup

Image Egg Cup

Image Bell Cup

Image Refrigerator Cup
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Major bumpage!

A new trailer appeared today showcasing ExciteBike Arena, one of the courses in next month's DLC:

This course evidently features "randomized ramps and speed boosts, the location of which changes every time you play (with the exception of Time Trials)." There still appears to be no hard date set for the DLC's actual release, but it's still marked as "November," so hopefully it hits early to give us something to do until Pokemon ORAS and Smash Bros. for Wii U come around.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:59 pm

So I just found out a couple days ago that the first of the two DLCs is out ... and has been for almost three weeks. I don't know if they were just incredibly quiet about releasing it or if I just wasn't paying attention - I swear none of the multiple newsletters they've sent out this month made any mention of it. I looked up the release date back in early November and it was set as "End of November 2014," but lo and behold, I Googled it again over the long weekend and found out it had launched on the 11th. Whatever.

Interestingly, the new courses aren't sorted by new vs. old - the "retro" cup has two old courses and two new ones, and the "modern" cup has GCN Yoshi Circuit in addition to three new courses. Here are my thoughts after playing with the new content a bit:

Egg Cup:
- GCN Yoshi Circuit: A nice HD updating of the course, although it doesn't have a lot that stands out about it gameplay-wise, which makes me curious as to why this one was picked, especially since it was already in Mario Kart DS. As with the MKDS version, the shortcut from Double Dash that requires jumping off the outer edge of the track into the underground tunnel is absent. The jump shortcut at the early hairpin turn now sends you through a waterfall.
- ExciteBike Arena: It looks and feels like a modernization of the courses from ExciteBike, as it's meant to. There's supposedly some randomization of course elements every time you play, but I haven't played it enough yet to notice.
- Dragon Driftway: I don't think this course was advertised at all. It sends you into anti-grav as soon as the race starts and doesn't go back to normal until right before the end of the lap, giving it the highest ratio of anti-grav to regular driving in any course to date. The entire course takes place on the back of a giant Chinese dragon statue/building, entering its mouth at the start and ending by driving off its tail. It's not one of my favorites personally, but I think that's only because video game depictions of traditional Chinese architecture have never really "clicked" for me. It's a very different theme for a Mario Kart course, that's for sure. Among the courses in this pack, it's probably one of the most heavily decorated.
- Mute City: The F-Zero course. Similar to Dragon Driftway, it shifts to anti-grav right from the get-go and stays that way until the end, although there are parts where you're clearly rightside-up where anti-grav simply doesn't go away for some reason. There are stretches similar to the repair strips in F-Zero which will boost your coin count, meaning you can get to 10 coins within 10 seconds of leaving the start line, which feels a little OP, but whatever. There are billboards in the city depicting Captain Falcon saying "Show me your moves!", which is awesome.

Triforce Cup:
- Wii Wario's Gold Mine: There's an anti-grav section right at the start of the mine, and the Shy Guy miners from Shy Guy Falls make an appearance. Otherwise it seems to be pretty close to the Wii version, aside from the all-around visual upgrade. Stretches of it have an almost TF2-esque vibe visually.
- SNES Rainbow Road: As with GCN Yoshi Circuit, I'm confused as to why they picked this one, but even moreso this time around because it was in the previous Mario Kart game. (And also Super Circuit - it has been in literally half of all non-arcade Mario Kart games to date!) At least it looks nice, being set in the sky over a neon-lit nighttime version of Dinosaur Land similar to N64 Rainbow Road's city, and having some really nice lighting effects on the Thwomps. Still, its presence feels redundant and the remixed music is sadly a bit lackluster. Personally I'd rather have seen GBA or GCN or DS Rainbow Road. Oh well, maybe in DLC #2.
- Ice Ice Outpost: Another unadvertised course. It's fairly bland - just two curvy paths that stay close to each other and sometimes break to make one pass over the other. Nothing at all about it stands out, sadly. Probably the weakest of the courses in the pack. It feels either incomplete or like it was once planned for the main game's first cup.
- Hyrule Circuit: The Zelda course. It runs through the castle and the surrounding landscape. The music is the classic LoZ theme, because that's the only song ever used in Zelda crossovers apparently (seriously, someone please name a non-Smash Bros. Zelda crossover that did not use this tune). It replaces the coins with Rupees and has custom SFX for them, as well as replacing the item roulette noises with the sounds for opening a chest in Zelda. Thematically it's very strong, but I feel like I'd like it more if I actually played Zelda. :P I think LoZ fans will appreciate it.

The new characters are a mixed bag. Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach have new lines separate from their non-costumed counterparts, and Link has grunts similar to Smash Bros. None of them seem to have distinctive performance differences from anyone in the core roster. Mario's horn is the cape spin sound from Super Mario World, but Link's horn is an out-of-place brass-section hit and Peach's horn is a cringe-worthy failure at imitating a cat's meow. Link's proportions are such that he has to squeeze awkwardly into the karts the same way Waluigi does, and his exaggerated facial expressions can reach CD-i levels of hilarious if you catch them at just the right moment.

The new vehicle bodies are pretty nice-looking. The Tanuki Buggy is a Jeep-like offroader with a striped spare-tire case on the back; the iconic B-Dasher that originated in Mario Kart DS and reappeared in Mario Kart 7 re-reappears; the Blue Falcon sadly doesn't get a massive speed boost, but it hides the wheels inside so they aren't super-obvious; and Link's bike is humorous to look at, apparently being made out of shields.

Overall I'm a little disappointed: the new courses are simplistic in their design, and whatever gimmicks they may have don't shine through very clearly. The music is also not so great compared to the core game's soundtrack. The characters are just reskins + Link, but the new vehicles are nice-looking.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 pm

The second DLC pack, originally targeted for release at the end of next month, launched today instead. It adds a few things (spoiler'd for space):
VIEW CONTENT:
- Three new characters
--- Villager: the player character in Animal Crossing. You can pick a male or female at the driver selection screen. Unlike SSB4, there aren't multiple skins for each gender.
--- Isabelle: the mayor's assistant in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
--- Dry Bowser: returning to Mario Kart after an absence in MK7.
- Four new vehicles
--- Streetle (kart): modeled after one of the many beetles you can catch in Animal Crossing.
--- P-Wing (kart): an awesome-looking sports car whose design features elements based on the item from Super Mario Bros. 3. Reminds me vaguely of the Mach 5 from Speed Racer.
--- City Tripper (bike): a simple European-style moped. Interestingly, its various colors for different characters aren't just a palette swap - it gets details such as flames or plaid/argyle patterning.
--- Bone Rattler (bike?): a motor-tricycle clearly intended for Dry Bowser.
- Two new kart parts
--- Leaf Tires (wheels): tires textured to look like the grass from Animal Crossing.
--- Paper Glider (glider): a paper airplane with the Animal Crossing logo on it.
First impressions of the new courses (again, spoiler'd for space):
VIEW CONTENT:
Nintendo appears to have given up on keeping new and classic courses separate, even though there are four of each this time, meaning they could have sorted them into their own cups.

Crossing Cup
- GCN Baby Park - Like GCN Yoshi Circuit, this course already made a return in Mario Kart DS. This time, it's done entirely in anti-gravity, meaning knocking into other players will give you boosts. Instead of going up a half-step with each repetition of the main melody phrase, the music now goes up a half-step after each lap, getting slightly faster at the same time. The visual overhaul the course has received looks amazing. The mansion to the left of the start line is a dead ringer for Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube, and the castle near the lower turn looks a heck of a lot like a certain other well-known castle... (I'm glad it's not just another generic Peach's Castle for once!)
- GBA Cheese Land - Super Circuit is no longer quite so underrepresented as two of the four classic courses are directly from it. Cheese Land has been given a lot of depth not possible on the GBA, with hills, a glider segment, and two Chain Chomp hazards. You can trick off of the holes in the cheese on the track for extra boosts. The sun looks very hot on this course ... I can only imagine what it must smell like.
- Wild Woods - Despite being inhabited by Shy Guys, this course bears an uncanny resemblance to the forest world in Donkey Kong Country Returns. The start line is at a 90-degree anti-gravity incline, a first for this game. It's probably the least remarkable of the new courses, but it's still worlds better than that stupid boring ice track from the first DLC. The scenery is very nice, and the 5/4 beat of the music is unusual and neat.
- Animal Crossing - The headlining course for this DLC pack. The coins on this course are Animal Crossing's "bell" currency, similar to the rupees on Hyrule Circuit. The course randomly picks one of the four seasons, with minor course differences in each - for instance, snowmen are obstacles in winter while Resetti pops up as a hazard in summer. (Time Trials will always take place in summer.) While the buildings are in locations they can't be in the AC games, the town as a whole is laid out like a town in AC: New Leaf, with train tracks at the north edge and a beach to the south.

Bell Cup
- 3DS Neo Bowser City - Pretty much identical to its 3DS counterpart, except that the final stretch is anti-grav, and it's no longer possible to glide over/past the finish line. The rain still looks nice, but since this is such a recent course the visual overhaul isn't super in-depth.
-GBA Ribbon Road - The other Super Circuit course. This track has received the biggest visual change out of all courses to date, now being a toy race track in a child's bedroom. The course is surrounded/covered with all kinds of toys and such, from the box the racecourse game in to toy Toads from the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series to Mecha-Koopas and Clown Car Jack-in-the-Boxes based on Super Mario World. Getting Blue Shell'd during the glider segment at the very end is one of the biggest middle fingers the game can give you as it pretty much guarantees a loss, no matter how far ahead you are.
- Super Bell Subway - Drive through a subway station and tunnel. The trains themselves are hazards, but have boost ramps on top that can be reached from hanging track segments. There's graffiti in the tunnel based on Super Mario Bros.' underground levels.
- Big Blue - Another F-Zero course. After Mount Wario, this is the second non-looping point-to-point course in Mario Kart. There are lots of water slides that will give you a boost as well as moving floors that will make you speed up/slow down, similar to MK8's Rainbow Road. I don't think there's a single point on this course where the sky is directly above you - it does some crazy anti-gravity stuff.
Overall I think this DLC is MUCH better than the first one. Even the least remarkable of the new courses is memorable, and only 1 out of the 4 classic courses has been a classic course before, as opposed to 2 out of 3 in the first DLC. I'm still crossing my fingers for GCN Wario Stadium to show up someday... If you have to pick between the two packs, go for this one.

Also out today for MK8 is a free update that adds 200cc mode, aka Sanic Mode. It's like having a permanent mushroom boost. You absolutely need to brake while drifting or you'll fly off the track on corners. Highly recommended, if only for the shenanigans. (Tip: GCN Baby Park + 200cc = amazing.)

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:12 am

The Bone Rattler is grouped with the ATVs. I'd call it an ATV.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.