MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Broken Age

Post by MrBlah » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 pm

Has any played it? This is that Tim Schafer/Double Fine Productions point and click adventure game that hit it big on Kickstarter about 2 years ago. It was released about a week ago now. What is everyone's thoughts?
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Garrett
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Broken Age

Post by Garrett » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 pm

I thought it was pretty good given its interesting development. The art is very well done as is the music. The story is pretty interesting as well and I like having the ability to switch between the two characters whenever I like. It helps to mix things up if you get stuck on a puzzle with one character.

My only complaint is that the puzzles are a bit easy. I only got stuck on two puzzles and one was because I didn't have an item that didn't appear to be anything beyond background on the screen. However, I would rather have simpler puzzles than ridiculously obtuse ones a la Monkey Island 2.

I was one of the backers for the Kickstarter and it's been interesting to watch how this game has evolved over 2 years. That being said, I can't really say much on the price. I payed more than the current retail price and think it was worth it but I got a great documentary as well as other goodies. I would pay $25 for the game but I've liked most of what Tim Schafer and Double Fine so I have faith in the branding.

Overall, I still recommend that you buy it or at least buy it in a future sale.
Last edited by Garrett on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: Broken Age

Post by trilobite » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:01 pm

I am playing Broken Age now and I find it to be very enjoyable. Very charming story. Interesting settings. Excellent voice acting. Pretty good dialogue – but I wouldn’t call it “snappy,” and I expect snappy dialogue from Schafer. Well…. there are some snappy exchanges.

I agree with Garrett that the puzzles are a bit too simple. I DO like a tad more frustration and synthesis in my adventures.

My favorite adventures: Grim Fandango; all of the Monkey Island games; Sam and Max series; the Longest Journey; the Syberia series; the early Myst games including Myst, Riven, Exile and Uru.