jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Rust

Post by jettah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Picked up this early release game last night because it looked pretty cool and I was instantly confused.

I noticed a few people on my friends list have played this, and I am curious to hear your experiences.

I figured this would have been more of an open world single player deal. Turns out it is multiplayer in massive 50-100 person servers.

Basic gist, you are dropped in the middle of nowhere with a rock that you can beat against stuff to get more stuff, or trees to get wood. You take these things, craft more things, tools, fire, food, weapons etc. And there are Zombies and somehow you can determine that areas have radioactive fallout.

I am dying a lot. When you die, you lose everything and have to start from scratch.
I feel like this is not the kind of game that you can just pickup and play without a decent time commitment. Seems like in a set amount of time any structure you build with a door/lock will go away.

Anyone that knows more and can help me out a little, I welcome it.

I managed to kill some stuff, build a bow, kill a bear with said bow, last 1 night in a random structure, build fires and build a workbench. Cooking food required a visit to the wiki.

Thanks.
--jettah

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Rust

Post by Perfect Villain » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Well from what i've seen Rust,Dayz(the standalone game),Nether and im sure a few more are mostly the same but with some different features.. honestly im not really interested in any of them i tried a nether guest pass and was sorta turned off and got bored really quick
Thanks Sparky

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Rust can be extremely fun and I like it a lot more than DayZ.

Problem: Official servers are plagued with hackers. Community servers are plagued with admin abuse.

I quit for now.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:31 pm

So easy to get C4 it makes the entire game pointless.

You could spend 10 hours building a compound and I could come clean you out within 30 minutes of being on the server without breaking a sweat.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Update, sleeping bag is how you spawn back at your "camp". Does a bed achieve the same thing?

Managed to survive for a few consecutive "nights". Getting decent with a bow. 9mm revolver is crap, 6 shots to kill a wolf at point blank vs 2 arrows.

Built a small house, crafted everything i could. armor now and the house has the furnace. Have leather now, but nothing to do with it, guess I have to find a blueprint or something.

I found a chill server that only has a few people in it ever (while I get used to the game), and I have been doing my own thing.

Curious to see if my house is still standing when I log back in tonight, I think I hid it decently well off the road and against rock, so if aren't really looking for it, its hard to see. Better gun crafting in store for tonight I think.

If I d/c'ed from the game when I was in my house, will I respawn there?

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:57 pm

You need to repair your structures. They decay from the top down. If you have a metal door, use metal fragments. Wooden walls, use wood. Drag and drop the resources onto your hot bar and then use them on the appropriate pieces. IIRC it takes 2-3 days before it starts to decay. Depending on whether or not you are on a sleeper server will depend on where you log back in. A sleeper server drops your body on the ground where you log out, so anyone can walk up and then kill your sleeping body. If that happens your body disappears and a backpack replaces the corpse with all of your items for them to take. If you want to be relatively safe you need to log out in your house. You need to have at least a metal door, as the wooden door can be destroyed with a hatchet. Wooden walls and metal doors require C4 to blow down, however if you are on a relatively underpopulated server you guys are probably not getting the C130 to spawn with airdrops, so there is no C4 running around.

http://playrustwiki.com/images/6/62/New ... on_2.2.jpg

We always made home in metal valley when we played, but most of us are taking a break / playing other games.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 pm

C130s are the only way to get explosives, needed to make explosive charges. Granted, both can be reversed engineer so once someone gets both they no longer need the drops and have an unlimited supply of charges to blow up your crap.

These C130s only spawn when 22+ people are on the server. However, they can drop a beacon that can be used to call more supply drops.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:22 pm

So the decay times, is this real days, or in game days?

I made a regular hatchet, and was hoping i could use it to remodel my house, but good to hear that it only works on doors.

Metal door will be in the works tonight. The decay might work to my advantage so that I can add a 2nd floor and do some remodel.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:11 am

jettah wrote:So the decay times, is this real days, or in game days?

I made a regular hatchet, and was hoping i could use it to remodel my house, but good to hear that it only works on doors.

Metal door will be in the works tonight. The decay might work to my advantage so that I can add a 2nd floor and do some remodel.
The decay is real time. Everything can be destroyed by everything. A wooden door takes about 3 minutes with a stone, 1 minute with a hatchet, and 40 seconds ish with a pick axe.

Currently, pillars, stairs, ramps, and foundations can only get destroyed by decay.

Once again, check out the wiki for health of everything. I think metal doors are 2 c4 and 7 grenades. I think wooden walls are like 20 grenades.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:11 am

jettah wrote:So the decay times, is this real days, or in game days?

The decay is real time. Everything can be destroyed by everything. A wooden door takes about 3 minutes with a stone, 1 minute with a hatchet, and 40 seconds ish with a pick axe.

Currently, pillars, stairs, ramps, and foundations can only get destroyed by decay.

Once again, check out the wiki for health of everything. I think metal doors are 2 c4 and 7 grenades. I think wooden walls are like 20 grenades.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Spent a lot more time with the game and have gotten myself set up a little better.

Hiding your house is a huge deal, as well as making some friends on the server who you trust to leave your stuff alone.

My house is well equipped and surrounded with fencing for now, and I have a 2nd smaller house nearby with some extra supplies just in case my other gets found and broken into.

The way I see it now, they will need a lot of free time and a few C4's to get into my current structure.

Thanks for the info share so far, I will be sure to pass along anything else of value as I come across it.

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:38 pm

jettah wrote: My house is well equipped and surrounded with fencing for now, and I have a 2nd smaller house nearby with some extra supplies just in case my other gets found and broken into.

The way I see it now, they will need a lot of free time and a few C4's to get into my current structure.
I found that most housing designs that would typically be more aesthetically pleasing were not as useful in rust. After many home invasions I ended up designing a house that would just make invaders discouraged once they were inside. I know that it can be a little more plausible with some additions that I haven't played with like bars on windows, preventing people from staircasing into your house, and code locked doors allowing multiple people to live in a house more efficiently. My last house was 3 stories and had probably at least 14 metal doors throughout it, with the loot scattered about and the useful stuff hidden even better than behind the closed doors. Some thought it was excessive but I wanted them to get so bored or waste all their materials trying to get some little bit of equipment.

Gearloose
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gearloose » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 am

I've been playing Rust somewhat obsessively for almost a month now. My impression is that it's rough, as you would expect from an early access game, but it has great potential.

I had trouble with thieves and griefers on high-population servers, so now I'm sticking to low-pop servers that claim no decay and anti-griefing admins.

I'll probably play until shortly after I have a decent metal base built, because at that point there is currently no more progression, and basically all you can do is accumulate material wealth and maybe mentor new players.

I love the engine and the graphics - I just hope they develop it into a more realistic survival challenge game with a deeper tech tree, full use of the island, custom map support and better balance versus hostile players.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Newest update where they removed the Zombies seems to have killed off the already low server pop. I was playing with. Fine with me, I actually preferred to run this game solo to begin with, and more drops for me with less competition.

My house is pretty secure, time and decay seem to be my only real issues now since the server pop died off. Hidden house with lots of spike walls as a deterrent seems to be working. Communication with any regulars seems to also keep them on my side and out of my way.

Zombies are gone, they changed agressive animals in some areas, particularly where I was camped. Lame. I am slowly obtaining metal building components, still need walls and roof.
Is there are rifle above the M4? I thought someone told me there is a bolt action. M4 is disappointing at range. It has about the same range as the P250 pistol. And only drops animals in 1 less shot. Not worth it for the more costly to make ammo.

Zombies replaced "temporarily" (according to devs) with red Bears and Red Wolves. Easy to Kill, and they drop the packs now. They seem to be congregated in set locations and areas where there were formerly zombies have none.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:13 pm

According to Reddit, everyone in this game just runs around naked.