Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:27 pm

No video, but my latest triumph (failure), step by step:

1) Launch a giant unstable multi-stage rocket just for fun.
2) Fly it entirely by hand and without maps or maneuvers through the first 3 stages, leaving you randomly shooting off in to space around 100km up.
3) Open the map to check the trajectory, and realize it's headed by dumb luck for a great lunar intercept.
4) Prepare maneuvers to make first ever lunar encounter and go in to orbit
5) Become excited upon realizing that you have plenty of Delta V not just to get there, but to land and possibly return home.
6) Line up on the gimble and time the burn precisely.
7) Accidently hit space instead of left shfit to increase thrust, thus staging off the engine and fuel tank, leaving you to hopelessly drift forever, nowhere near anything.

8) Profit?
-Boss Llama

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm seriously tempted to turn on infinite fuel simply so that I can explore the solar system more or less at my leisure, especially since I can't yet manage orbital docking and therefore can't assemble a vessel in space or refuel it. About all I can do right now is get into orbit and back. At least my success rate for orbit-and-return missions is up to nearly 40%! :P

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:04 pm

I did for the fun of it take a uss enterprise mod to the sun...it was hillarious
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:58 pm

I finally achieved orbit around the Mun! And without resorting to cheating! :D

My one regret is that this vessel does not have any sort of lander attached. :doh: It did originally, but it was so heavy that I built this lander-less version just to see if removing the lander would allow the thing to finally reach Kerbin orbit. It did, and I just kept going. There is a rover on the tip of the rocket (it is the last surviving part of the lander, and was in fact the original purpose for the entire rocket), but I have no way of getting it safely onto the Mun's surface ... I guess I have a new orbiter now.

Also, I have finally learned the awesome power of the external fuel duct. This mission would not have been possible without it.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Will T. wrote:I finally achieved orbit around the Mun! And without resorting to cheating! :D

My one regret is that this vessel does not have any sort of lander attached. :doh: It did originally, but it was so heavy that I built this lander-less version just to see if removing the lander would allow the thing to finally reach Kerbin orbit. It did, and I just kept going. There is a rover on the tip of the rocket (it is the last surviving part of the lander, and was in fact the original purpose for the entire rocket), but I have no way of getting it safely onto the Mun's surface ... I guess I have a new orbiter now.

Also, I have finally learned the awesome power of the external fuel duct. This mission would not have been possible without it.
external fuel duct?
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Cpt._Keyes wrote:external fuel duct?
The external fuel duct is the yellow hose at the very end of the Propulsion parts menu. It works like a strut: click one place to anchor one end, then elsewhere to anchor the other. Connecting it first to a fuel tank, then to an engine allows you to route fuel from radial-mounted tanks to the engine, giving it massively more fuel to use with minimal size cost. It's basically like attaching the engine to the bottom of those fuel tanks ... but without actually doing so. :P The game will use up all the fuel in tanks connected by fuel ducts before it uses any fuel from tanks connected in-line to the engine, so you can use the fuel from several radial-mounted tanks, then eject them once they're empty to lighten the load.

You can see the ducts around the engine in my picture, linked to the radial-mounted tanks.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Will T. wrote:
Cpt._Keyes wrote:external fuel duct?
The external fuel duct is the yellow hose at the very end of the Propulsion parts menu. It works like a strut: click one place to anchor one end, then elsewhere to anchor the other. Connecting it first to a fuel tank, then to an engine allows you to route fuel from radial-mounted tanks to the engine, giving it massively more fuel to use with minimal size cost. It's basically like attaching the engine to the bottom of those fuel tanks ... but without actually doing so. :P The game will use up all the fuel in tanks connected by fuel ducts before it uses any fuel from tanks connected in-line to the engine, so you can use the fuel from several radial-mounted tanks, then eject them once they're empty to lighten the load.

You can see the ducts around the engine in my picture, linked to the radial-mounted tanks.

ahh... I just go SRB happy, normally go with the STS model and have the SRB be about 70-80% of my atmospheric thrust, saving the fuel for SPAAAAACE

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:44 pm

I also want to experiment maybe using a SCRAM layout for the atmosphere...with SRB help, then switch to LOX powered engines once i hit 30k...since SCRAM and RAM is absurdley efficient...might need to be a space plane hybrid...but i wanna try it off the pad first

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:26 pm

I got a rover onto the Mun in one piece! :D

Pictures below are spoilered due to their size and quantity.

VIEW CONTENT:
In Munar orbit once again. I added a sky crane to the rover for landing, which can be seen in this picture. This ended up being an optimal solution to the issue of how to land the rover. It is very lightweight, requires minimal fuel, and can be disposed of as soon as the rover reaches the ground.
VIEW CONTENT:
Using the final stage of the main rocket for lining up the landing proved to be very helpful. The sky crane is very twitch-sensitive and really only good for the final stage of landing - finding the drop site is best done with more broad control.
VIEW CONTENT:
Seconds after landing! Victory!! :dance:
VIEW CONTENT:
As seems to oftentimes happen on probe-delivery missions of this sort, the rover suffered a mission-altering accident shortly after landing. It was trying to climb a hill when it lost friction with the ground (tip: the wheels I used here are not optimal for Munar exploration; use higher-traction ones for your own rovers!) and started to roll backwards. While it managed to keep its wheels aligned with the direction of travel for a while, it eventually hit uneven ground and bounced and rolled a short distance, causing three of the four solar panels to become nonfunctional. Fortunately it landed upright, and one of the panels is still fully working, so the rover is not lost! Unfortunately the sun is setting on this side of the Mun, leaving the rover trapped in the shadow of a hill with no electrical charge.

When the sun is back overhead, the rover can continue searching for any possible way out of the crater in which it landed. I'm not optimistic that it will find one, but even if it doesn't ... I can still say I made it! :dance:

Just for fun, here's the result of my first attempt to land a rover using the sky crane, which had slightly different results (hint: landing requires level ground):
VIEW CONTENT:

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 am

so as I said, I am experimenting with SCRAMJET, SRB and LOX rocket hybrid launches...the idea being to use the atmosphere to get airborne with my SRB's, get a ton of speed using my SCRAMjets while using very little fuel, then use the LOX rockets to get me into orbit...the idea being it should use less fuel...thus far the results have been...disastrous...

I did at least net an awesome thin blue line shot Image

(disastrous) proof of concept vid incoming

here is a slight proof of concept...granted it is a small craft...not anywhere the heavy lifting i have envisioned...but you see how little fuel ramjets use

Last edited by Cpt._Keyes on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 am

Cpt._Keyes wrote:I did for the fun of it take a uss enterprise mod to the sun...it was hillarious
"Wow the sun is gian..."*KERBOOOM*

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:01 pm

I like all these exotic designs to get people up...sad thing they don't seem to work out. I still find that simple is better...especially when it comes to asparagus style rockets. I can't remember the last time I've launched a rocket and not gotten it to kerbal orbit without fuel. But I will admit that it isn't as fun to watch or try to steer as some of those that you guys have made :D
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 pm

of course they work best...thats why they were the first ones done and successful...but i've done that, landed on the mun and put things into solar orbit etc

F13ND
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by F13ND » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 pm

I've managed, after many hours spent building and exploding (with a fair amount of luck too), to get a manned lander onto Duna. I used asparagus staging, as potato recommends, in my rocket design which helped an awful lot.
(Spoilered due to massiveness)

Getting into orbit around Kerbin:
VIEW CONTENT:
Using smaller fuel tanks for early staging was too difficult, so I stuck a few orange tanks on the rocket and it works fine. Image

Docking with fuel station:
VIEW CONTENT:
I docked with a fuel station in Kerbal orbit to top up the fuel for the exit burn.

This took ages because the station causes so much lag.
Exit burn:
VIEW CONTENT:
I got really lucky here with the interplanetary alignment, so it didn't take too long to get a Duna encounter
A small tweak of the orbit near the encounter put me on a collision course
1st Duna encounter:
VIEW CONTENT:
I messed up the aerobraking+landing first time around.

Aerobraking:

The resultant orbit:

Separation:

And the first landing attempt:

2nd Duna encounter:
VIEW CONTENT:
Better aerobraking and a good landing this time

The return to Kerbin:
VIEW CONTENT:
There is no return to Kerbin. He is stuck.
Thanks Sparky!

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:13 pm

jeb has all the worst luck!