Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by ADevilishPotato » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 pm

nice!
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 pm

I spent a couple hours trying to get to Duna yesterday. Pictures will explain why I say "trying." :P
VIEW CONTENT:

First clear sighting of Duna during the approach. It's not that interesting from afar really...
VIEW CONTENT:

The encounter was aligned such that I got a great view of the northern ice cap.
VIEW CONTENT:

I ran out of fuel shortly before I could finish aerobraking. Just a few more seconds and I'd have made it... :(
VIEW CONTENT:

We are not going to Duna today.
Although the mission itself was unsuccessful, I view this as far from a failure - considering how long the fuel lasted on this rocket, I theorize that it could, with proper adjustments to turn one of the stages into a large lander, be easily capable of round trips to the Mun, which is another goal I've been eyeing but hit a design-wall with. I'll be giving it a try soon!

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:04 am

well I successfully rescued my 1 man crew that I stranded on minmus, making it my second landing there as well as a successful return trip home...love that you can take off of on that moon and achieve escape velocity with a light load using only RCS...and yes, that was preplanned into the mission parameters, wanted to see if I could do it that way and I could :lol:
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:56 am

@Will - Cool that you got so close, yet frustrating I'm sure! Just out of random curiosity, did you have a big RCS fuel tank on the original launch vehicle? I've found that you can actually do the major orbit correction burns using your RCS thrusters. It takes several minutes of holding the key down, but works just like the big engines, and that way you can save your liquid fuel for your for use in aerobraking, when high power is important to have. Food for thought anyway. I am a serious devotee of using RCS for everything I can, since it's so precise and efficient.

@ADP - Hurray for rescue! An RCS man after my own heart! Actually, you've been playing longer, so I guess it's the other way around :-P I'm tempted, after driving around for a while, to see if I can fire my Mun rover in to orbit using its onboard thrusters. Race up a sufficiently steep hill with a large cliff on the other side, fire 'em off, and see where I end up.
-Boss Llama

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:37 am

Got a rover to Minimus as well now. Slightly redesigned to avoid the "wings" (which can catch the ground quickly given how unstable space driving is). My nose-drop landing technique is definitely not the best, and won't work anywhere with real gravity, but on Minimus it was absolutely perfect. The carrier escaped to orbit again, and the rover floated and bounced its way to safety. I was a little nervous about that first bounce, but nothing a bit of RCS couldn't fix.

The interesting part starts around 4:30:

Minimus is a very lonely looking place!
VIEW CONTENT:
-Boss Llama

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm so disappointed, I found nothing here. The whole trip was overnight too so there wasn't even anything to look at.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 pm

I hear that there are Easter Eggs placed in several spots on the planet though.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:32 am

Good news - after far more effort than it ever should have taken, I finally got my Duna rocket to go to the Mun instead!

Bad news - it won't be making a round trip. In fact, it did worse than my original Mun rocket in getting there! :P The fuel on the small lander on the top ran out literally *just* as it was landing. It actually bounced once because it was still too high off the ground. But it landed upright, so at least it's on the Mun. It ended up only 1.2 km from Bill Kerman in the original Mun lander, so I got him over to it via EVA. Although he won't be coming home as planned, he does at least have some much larger and brighter accommodations. As he is by himself inside that four-man pod, he has quite a bit of room (by spacecraft standards) to live and work in.

Pictures:
VIEW CONTENT:

First sighting of the surface during landing. I was basically flying blind until this point. Very eerie and a little startling to have the surface suddenly begin to light up like that. That dim lighting reminds me of using weak flashlights on cold and damp camping trips I was dragged along on as a kid ... not times I want to remember. Not an outdoors person in the slightest.
VIEW CONTENT:

"This lander is much better than the one I came here in ... I think I'll take it!"
VIEW CONTENT:

Somewhere in one of the many handbooks that all KSP astronauts have to read during training is an entire chapter dedicated to the difference between refuse, trash, rubbish, and junk. Also a subsection or two on the difference between food and "not food."

Other compartments not visible in this picture include Laundry, Toothbrushes, and Board Games. Low-gravity Monopoly, anyone?

Also, a couple bonus shots from tonight not explicitly related to the landing:
VIEW CONTENT:

Kerbin aligns to eclipse the sun approximately once a day on the Mun. It isn't that interesting when fully eclipsed - the sun just disappears behind Kerbin. No silhouetted ring-of-fire look or anything.
VIEW CONTENT:

The KSC at sunset, with the Mun clearly visible. Sunset I can understand - it's hard to go to the space center screen at the right moment to catch it, but it must happen if day and night cycle as they do in the in-flight views - but the Mun is a bit of a surprise, as I didn't know objects in the sky were rendered in the space center screen.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:50 am

Here are a couple shots of things I just thought were interesting.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. I don't think the game does either. Orbital paths with hard angles in them? Four different intercepts on a single screen? I'm lost.
VIEW CONTENT:
This one does make sense - I like the symmetry of it.
VIEW CONTENT:
I believe I encountered Space Cthulhu. I sent a deep space probe out on an escape trajectory, and just let it go a while. I'd checked up on it previously without issue a couple times, but then when I finally checked in after letting it blaze away in to the darkness, I got... darkness. Everything was spinning in every direction, the view was pitch black, and then it locked on this. When I returned to the tracking center, it was gone.
VIEW CONTENT:
-Boss Llama

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 am

I picked this up during the sale. I tried the demo and loved it. Just need to find the time to play it now....

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:54 am

Alizée Fan wrote:I believe I encountered Space Cthulhu. I sent a deep space probe out on an escape trajectory, and just let it go a while. I'd checked up on it previously without issue a couple times, but then when I finally checked in after letting it blaze away in to the darkness, I got... darkness. Everything was spinning in every direction, the view was pitch black, and then it locked on this. When I returned to the tracking center, it was gone.
VIEW CONTENT:
Ah, it seems you found (or rather, were found by) the dreaded Hell Kraken, so named because of what it does to your elevation readout (note the numbers at the top of the screen). There are parts of space where Kerbalkind is not permitted to tread, and woe be to ye who dare defy the laws set by powers beyond mortal comprehension...

Greebo
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Greebo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:21 pm

I've started a new long-term project in Kerbal. It's called 'EcoSpace' and the idea is that every part that goes up either stays up or comes down in such a fashion that it can be recovered and reused.
And I've been taking videos, hurrah!
No commentary in them, though I guess I could do that if people were interested.

Ok so this first set of videos is actually my 2nd launch. I lost the recording of the first one (doh!) but in short, Jebediah, Bill and Bob went up with a station core which was set to orbit round at around 400km. Bill and Bob stayed on the station while Jebediah came home in the lander.
The station will become a fuelling stop for many missions, and I might try my hand at building ships in orbit too!

Then I realised I'd been a numpty and forgotten to include any command modules on the station core, so the next trip was a mission to rectify that!

For this mission I've included more or less the entire thing on video, broken into various parts. I doubt I'll record other similar missions in full but this might help people trying to rendezvous in orbit, so here we go!

In terms of mods I have the chatter mod and a docking cam mod...I may install the mapping satellite mod because that's a pretty nifty one.

Step 1: Launch! Nothing exciting here, particularly. The setup is one I plan to use to delivery many parts to the station. The only thing it can't do is deliver a full orange tank of fuel. What I plan to do is deliver empty orange tanks and then fill them from smaller tanks. Jebediah is commanding the mission again (because he always looks like he's enjoying himself!). Enming and Kersby will stay on the station.
VIEW CONTENT:

Step 2: Match orbits with the station. First you gotta match your orbital planes; thankfully my launch only put me 1 degree off so that was pretty easy. Having achieved that I arranged an initial intersect (which I ultimately missed) and end up orbiting about 1.5km from the station.
VIEW CONTENT:

Step 3: Docking! Managed to do it on the first attempt (which is not to say I wasn't quick saving constantly, just in case!!!).
VIEW CONTENT:

Step 4: Finally, Jebediah comes home again, ready to lead the next mission, that Krazy Kerbal! (apologies for the SSTV effect that comes with the chatterer, trying to disable that!)
VIEW CONTENT:

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Nicely done, Greebo :-D I haven't done any successful dockings in space yet - I should really get on that :-D

@Will - yes, it's like the Hell Kraken, but interestingly came from different causes. I was using an unmanned probe, and wasn't near any objects (afaik), so it seems to have been sparked by a different trigger. Still, yes, very Hell Kraken like.
-Boss Llama

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:53 pm

hehe greebo, you should check out Scott Manley's 100% reusable youtube videos.

Greebo
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Greebo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:00 pm

@Devilish - I think I've only seen the first one of those but that must have been in the back of my mind when I started this. I'll have to watch the rest for more ideas!

=======================

NEWS FLASH:

Conspiracy theories are spreading like wildfire around Kerbin as two kerbonauts mysteriously vanished during a routine mission. Derski Kerman and Milald Kerman (no relation) were on a routine mission along with Jebediah Kerman (3rd cousin of Derski) to delivery a docking strut to Fueling Station 1 late this evening.

Although the KSP denies all knowledge of these 2 kerbonauts, their mission and indeed the nature of reality itself, an image captured during a mission to add a separate docking strut clear show a previously installed strut from their mission.
VIEW CONTENT:
Repeated calls for further information were not returned however a written statement was issued:
The irresponsible spreading of false news regarding kerbonauts that never existed achieves nothing towards the glory of KSPs EcoSpace program. Further, any rumors that, because of a computer glitch just after landing led to the kerbonauts leaving Kerbin at 10km/second, resulting in the mercy detonation of their capsule are also completely untrue.
Finally, rumors that Jebediah Kerbin jumped from the craft just before the non-existant glitch and ran into the distance, laughing maniacally, are also untrue
Despite the statement, a source close to the project, who wished to remain anonymous, told us that that kerbonauts have taken to lining the inside of their helmets with tinfoil, just in case.