Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:00 am

Alizée Fan wrote:Yeah, I know it's inefficient - I was hitting 600-700km on a single tiny rocket with smaller stuff, but I was committed to using a big orange tank for no reason other than looks :-P From my experiments, they actually produce less power than they consume to launch, when used in atmosphere like that. I was having trouble figuring out what was going on with the power:weight ratio - there were time when the more power I added, the worse it performed. One of the previous (much larger) versions I was messing around with was unliftable with 12 SRBs and 4 Mainsails going full bore, but flew just fine with 4 SRBs and 1 Mailsail. The wings were actually necessary on this monstrosity, as without them it would spin on launch and head for the nearest hillside. I intend to go back to smaller/more efficient models today.
you were able to out torque your gyros? that is amazing. but as far as performance goes...it is kinda counter intuitive...but remember to use struts...even though it seems to be unnecessary weight. I will normally attach stage 3+ to my boosters with explosive decouplers and strut bars...that will keep the sway down during the vulnerable acceleration phase of the launch. you arent going to get much lift during stage 1, so the extra weight gain isnt noticed in the final launch product. then they are timed to blow off when I blow out stage 1.

But the sway is probably what causes a lot of your spin outs...especially when you have your gyros spinning...you just get into a resonant frequency situation as it tries to stabalize
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 am

So, I hava problam whan crating rockats. I usually maka too big rockat and than it doasn't fly wall. I think I naad soma halp. HALP PLS.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:22 pm

MrBlah wrote:So, I hava problam whan crating rockats. I usually maka too big rockat and than it doasn't fly wall. I think I naad soma halp. HALP PLS.
make sure to put movable fins on it for super torque so you can control spin with your SAS, make sure you have a bunch of support struts, and don't always go full bore on your engines. Follow those three steps and 9.7/10 you'll make it to SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Also, as of 11:15 am PST, I finally docked something in space! It wasn't pretty, and took about 7 tries at lining up and bouncing off before I finally made the connection :P . F5-F9 FTW!
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Before to start breaking the atmosphere you want as little thrust as you can. You're fighting a lot of weight in the atmosphere so you're just wasting fuel.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:58 pm

ADevilishPotato wrote:
MrBlah wrote:So, I hava problam whan crating rockats. I usually maka too big rockat and than it doasn't fly wall. I think I naad soma halp. HALP PLS.
make sure to put movable fins on it for super torque so you can control spin with your SAS, make sure you have a bunch of support struts, and don't always go full bore on your engines. Follow those three steps and 9.7/10 you'll make it to SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
Also, if you are using a lot of big engines on the outside, action group gimble on those outside engines. Disabling them will dramatically reduce spin tendencies since it no longer has the rotation axis element to it. Downside is your maneuverability goes down the tube until you turn them back on (but since you are usually going strait up when you have those outside tanks, this doesn't really matter too much).
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Well I have officially landed on Mun and returned the 3 man crew home. Did it by the skin of my teeth too, I am currently on my 2nd earth orbit using maneuvering thrusters to slow my orbital speed :lol: . But I no longer have a periapsis, so I know ill hit Kerbal this pass :dance: :roll:

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:49 am

1 meter from docking 2 of my kentnational space station parts. <windows plonk noise> ctd
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 pm

F13ND
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by F13ND » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:49 pm

My biggest accomplishments thus far:
A precarious Mun landing
VIEW CONTENT:
A precarious Minmus landing
VIEW CONTENT:
With a suitably ecstatic Jeb
VIEW CONTENT:
An expert rover landing
VIEW CONTENT:
With expert driving
VIEW CONTENT:
All of them except the rover somehow made it back to Kerbin. Right now I'm trying to get a 1 man lander on Duna, seems like it's gonna be one way for now :/
Thanks Sparky!

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:18 pm

That's some awesomeness right there, Keyes. :clap:

I got a couple cool shots of the sun rising on Kerbin as seen from space last night (also shows how lovely this game looks at 1920x1080 with high settings :D):

Also a neat picture of the same sunrise from just above the ocean before making splashdown:

Sadly an error in the craft's design caused the structural linkage between the parachute and the command module to fail, which of course spelled death for this brave crew. :( I'll be sending a revised version of their rocket into orbit before long that corrects the construction error that caused their untimely demise, but for now I have some families to inform. Or is it only one family? Every single crew member is named "Kerman," after all...

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 pm

this is a society where the first name comes second, so everyone's first name is Kerman :P

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:51 am

poor jebediah....it should be noted...after his triumphant mun landing and great inspirational radio snippet...he then proceeded to skid face first down the entire crater after he fell while jumping

(also while i might be using mods...this is done with no cheats...or auto pilot (though to be honest...auto pilot has been used since day one of nasa) and while some rockets might be prefab....they definitely dont assure success...in fact more often than not...they are ridiculously unstable and require massive retooling...besides...that hubble mod...you wouldnt have a telescope at all without it...now i have a working telescope!)

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:59 am

Given the number of times the parachute just tears itself off the rest of the pod, I'm half tempted to simply have my pilots carry parachutes and jump out when they hit about 2500 feet. Pod can land empty (if the parachute stays attached), and the pilot can then float back safely :-D
-Boss Llama

flyingdutchman
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by flyingdutchman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm

It's hilarious to just read the posts about this game. I don't even have to play it.