A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
HunterTheGypsyBard
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Favourite DOS games?

Post by HunterTheGypsyBard » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 pm

For a few years in my childhood, my computer lacked a functional hard drive and I was stuck on my fathers ancient DOS computer with a few games.

What are your favorite games on the DOS platform?

I loved UFO: Enemy Unknown, and DOOM, and oddly enough I never got a copy of Arena, but I can probably get that running off of DOSbox at some point.

Also Wolfenstein.
Watch as I work my GYPSY MAGIC, eye of a newt and cinnamon. Watch as the matter turns to batter open the portal jump in.

~The Gypsy Bard

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Favourite DOS games?

Post by The Domer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:03 pm

I used to play Descent a lot when I was a kid.

CoyoteCreed
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CoyoteCreed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Rogue. It was all about finding mangoes.
Banner by some other Villun

Warpath Cup '12 | Inner Children Unleashed | Champions
Villympics '12 | ACME Villympic Team (Captain) | Champions
VC '12 | Solis Tanquam
D<3W '13 | SOBAD
VC '13 | Ville Cuppin' Cakes (Captain)
VC '14 | Carpetbaggers | Champions

eVa

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Commander Keen!

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:13 pm

CoyoteCreed wrote:Rogue. It was all about finding mangoes.
I liked the spin-off: Moria

Favourite game was probably Ultima III followed by Hero's Quest
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14 pm

The Domer wrote:I used to play Descent a lot when I was a kid.
YES.
I've wondered from time to time if I'd ever be able to find that game again; no luck yet. :( I'd like to give it another go now that I'm old enough that I might actually know what I'm doing.

Vi Deo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Vi Deo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Ugh.... It really shows your age when you talk about DOS games... Wizardry 7 probably. I still boot that up to this day... Though... Darklands was fantastic. Always have Wolfenstein 3D out there as well.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 pm

DOS was a little before my time, I think my parents got a computer with Windows 95 when I was six or seven, so if I did play anything through DOS, I either wouldn't remember it too well or it would have probably been an early education game of sorts.

The few I do remember:

SimCity, the original SimCity by Maxis, though I don't think I played it through DOS specifically I think I played it through Windows 3.1, but used DOS to mod the game (seriously, I was maybe five or six and I was already modding, or just doing exactly what my older brothers did to mod the game). Using the classic SimBank mod/cheat and some other cheat that allowed me to evade taxes, I managed to build one hell of a city, which I also managed to max out police coverage across the entire thing.
Doom 2, that's one I really shouldn't have been playing, but I was too young to realize just how violent it really was. Though a funny story results from this, there was this one time the game randomly crashed on me and booted me out to DOS. I don't remember exactly why, but I recall this scared the crap out of me to the point where I was afraid to use the computer again for a few weeks.
Family Feud, we had that one on floppy disks. Don't remember a whole lot about it, but I remember it was pretty fun for it's time.
Chip's Challenge, I know it wasn't DOS, but it was bundled with Windows 3.1 which wasn't a full-blown OS yet. I played a ton of that.
While I didn't play it, I know we also had a copy of Simon the Sorcerer for the old PC, I watched one of my brothers play it. Though the only thing about it I can remember is the guy getting sick from eating whatever soup he had in his hat.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Commander Keen for sure.

And Moria as a second.

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 pm

We couldn't afford a PC back in the day. However, I went to a well-funded public school that had Commodore 64s, Apple IIs and DOS machines to play with. I distinctly recall the teachers having to start programs by doing some weird C:/ thing. SimCity was all the rage at the time.

Our computer teacher (who drove a Corvette ZR-1 with a "SACHS5" vanity plate) would always let the kids play SimCity after we finished our work. She was awesome. I still play SimCity on DOSBox occasionally.
  • The Ville Cup 2012 Champions - [SNES] Superflous Nipples Equals Success - Captain
    Dustbowl<3Warpath Champions- Team CDi- Captain

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:08 am

Only thing I really remember playing on DOS was Doom. Our first computer back in the day had windows 3.1 on it.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Go way back, and I liked the games "Stunts" and "Scorched." For later DOS games, the original Sim City also come to mind (first game I ever saw with full color graphics), followed by Caesar II and HoMM2. The first computer game I ever played was something called GeoQuest, run on a 5.25 disk for our pre-hard drive Zenith 1000. Text input ftw!
-Boss Llama

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Ah, memories of DOS games. To quickly hammer out some names:

Jazz Jackrabbit, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Pharoah's Tomb, Bio Menace, Ken's Labyrinth, Lemmings 2, the Commander Keen series, Hugo's House of Horrors, Jill of the Jungle, the Treasure Math/Word series, Oregon Trail, SkyRoads, Shooting Gallery, and the list goes on.

All of your lack of experience with DOS games makes me very sad.
I am the 1%!

F13ND
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by F13ND » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Populous 2 is really fun, but I think Day of the Tentacle has to be my favourite. I wasn't living at the time though so I've got fairly limited experience.
Thanks Sparky!

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Go way back, and I liked the games "Stunts" and "Scorched." For later DOS games, the original Sim City also come to mind (first game I ever saw with full color graphics), followed by Caesar II and HoMM2. The first computer game I ever played was something called GeoQuest, run on a 5.25 disk for our pre-hard drive Zenith 1000. Text input ftw!
Stunts was so good, great oldschool sandbox game. There was a game about racing a corvette around san francisco called "vette" that was awesome too. You could play it cool and just street race, or you could go rogue and take backstreets, run over pedestrians, speed, etc. If a cop saw you breaking the law, he'd chase you. Hours of fun there.

By "Scorched", do you mean Scorched Earth? If so, YES. I loved me some scorched earth, it's crazy how many clones of that game there are, and equally crazy how every single one of them gets it wrong.

I had a game called Stunt Island where you could literally make movies. You set up cameras, props, "actors", backdrops, go through the process of getting your shots, edit your footage, add music and sound. Really an amazing piece of software.

Corncob 3D was a big fave of mine and I highly recommend tracking it down. It's a flight simulator of sorts but with all these crazy features and things to do, very sandboxy for its time.

I played lots of Sierra games and Lucasarts games like monkey island, kings quest, police quest, codename: iceman (hardest frigging adventure game of all time). I played lots of Stronghold (not related to the current castle building series), Descent 2 multiplayer (crazy skill ceiling in that game), HoMM 2 (good call AF), Command and Conquer, lots of Bullfrog games like Dungeon Keeper, Magic Carpet, Syndicate (one of my favorite all time games), Theme Park.

I could go on and on and on about DOS games.