Age of Empires 2 HD

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Age of Empires 2 HD

Post by Guardian » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:43 am

When I was a young kid I spend hours playing Age of Empires 2 with it's expansion on my Window's 98 PC with like 2G of memory (it was a hand-me-down from my father). I would play with the map editor, play the campaigns and play random silly multiplayer maps.

So I'm a bit excited that they're releasing an HD edition which I can probably actually install on this PC (I've long lost the disc of my old one). Although I admit I might wait till a crazy steam sale when it goes half off or something because $20 is a bit steep for a re-release.

Still any villuns also play this game?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Age of Empires 2 HD

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:40 am

While I certainly haven't played AoE2 in a long time, I do remember it quite fondly. Only RTS to come close to Warcraft 2 and the original Starcraft.

When I was headed off to college, my dad repeated his regular gripes about how I shouldn't spend time playing computer games. I responded by providing him with a couple games I knew would appeal to his particular interests (he's a university administrator and history professor) - Civilization 2 (and later 3), and AoE 2. He became immensely hooked on both, and the harrassment about playing video games stopped. When I was home for summers, it ended up usually being him who stayed up late playing, while I went to bed. He could soundly beat me at both shortly after acquiring them.

$20 is pretty expensive for a reboot of a 14 year old game, but I'll still look in to it. I've been pining for an old-school RTS for a while. If this had been Warcraft 2 being redone for modern systems, I'd have immediately gone and bought it instead of typing this reply!
-Boss Llama

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by darklin0 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Played it with a cousin through LAN games for years. It was one of my favorite RTS games when I was younger. I still have the box set laying around somewhere, might pick this up.
Last edited by darklin0 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of the We Hate Mateo Club. Co-Captain: Zookie
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

Kilgore Trout
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Kilgore Trout » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Age of Empires is what first got me into gaming. It's how I met some of my closest friends and still 12 years later we still get together regularly and play. Needless to say I am very excited about this re-release with matchmaking built in and my old clanmates already pre-ordered.

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tungsten » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:45 pm

I'm really excited for this! I wasn't really good, but me and my friends always had a good time doing comp stomps and betraying each other. Hopefully Steam workshop will have some of the wacky custom scenarios and mods. But still, super excited...I think I have one more copy left if any one wants it.

I also heard rumors that Rise of Nations might be making its way to Steam...

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:51 am

Tungsten wrote:I think I have one more copy left if any one wants it.
You buy the 4-pack?

I'd be interested in that copy, can paypal you for it. Hit me up on Steam with info :-)
-Boss Llama

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tungsten » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 am

Alizée Fan wrote:
Tungsten wrote:I think I have one more copy left if any one wants it.
You buy the 4-pack?

I'd be interested in that copy, can paypal you for it. Hit me up on Steam with info :-)
Sent it, you don't need to paypal or anything. I bought the 4-pack for me and two of my friends, so I had one extra. Maybe we can get some crazy huge game going.

I warn everyone here that I was pretty good with the Goths (eternal pikemen stream)

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am

Some buddies and me (I'm looking at you Fingolfin) used to have semi-regular LAN parties where we played AoE II, many great memories there.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Tungsten wrote: Sent it, you don't need to paypal or anything. I bought the 4-pack for me and two of my friends, so I had one extra. Maybe we can get some crazy huge game going.

I warn everyone here that I was pretty good with the Goths (eternal pikemen stream)
Thanks a bunch, Tungsten! Really appreciate it :-)

I was never a master of this game like I was with Warcraft II (never defeated in multiplayer), nor did I suck at it like I did C&C: Red Alert (only one victory ever in multiplayer), but I sure look forward to giving it another go!
-Boss Llama

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:47 pm

I loved this game immensely, even though I was never any good at it. So many things for me to get with no money ;.;

flyingdutchman
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by flyingdutchman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:12 pm

I loved this game in college.