Bastion's Narrator

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra

After a couple of hours playing Bastion, what was your opinion of the narrator of the game.

ZOMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER AND ANYONE WHO THINKS OTHERWISE IS WRONG
69%
Meh. Could take or leave it.
25%
WHY DOES THIS GUY KEEP TALKING ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT GOES ON WHEN I DON'T CARE
6%

Total votes: 16

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Bastion's Narrator

Post by Masakari » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Simply doing scientific research as to whether I'm the only person who found Bastion's narrator annoying by the end of the game. Now, I exaggerate with the statements (I mean, plot development stuff was good to hear), but generally him talking so much was just distracting and lost its novelty super-quickly for me.

If you haven't played the game or played it for more than a couple of hours, please abstain. And feel free to discuss.
I am the 1%!

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Bastion's Narrator

Post by Peahats » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:55 pm

I voted "ZOMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER AND ANYONE WHO THINKS OTHERWISE IS WRONG" but I don't think he was that good. He never got annoying, and I would say he added to a relatively short, and kinda repetitive game. What I liked was when he would say certain things depending on what happened in the story or during combat. His narration certainly made the gauntlet extra levels more interesting, he would go into more detail about the characters backstory the further you got.

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:56 pm

I know we had this chat already masa but I'll say it again for the people who don't talk to us. I enjoy the narrator in bastion just because must games that I've played, the narrator starts to be something I don't care about but bastion's narrator was always nice to listen too. I actually turned off my music while playing this game just to listen to the narrator.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Are you complaining about getting annoyed by the voice acting or the omnipresence of the narration itself?

It would have been a considerably less moving experience to play the game and appreciate it as a work of art if they'd scaled back or cut the narrator. I do not toss that around lightly, most games are utter crap as works of art.

The ending is where it really comes together as that's where the dissonance between the narrator's version of events and the events in gameplay starts to emerge. It also invests a ton of weight to the ending portion because it's clear, especially on replay, that up until that point you really don't get much choice in how the game unfolds at all. The narrator is driving the story, but in the end level he's clearly telling you what he assumed must have happened, because the Kid doesn't say anything.
And then the narration ending as you come across Zulf and get to choose yourself, now with no narration, what happens, really means something. It ranks up there with the most compelling sequences I've ever seen in a video game.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:47 pm

I like his voice. For the first playthrough, his comments were very nice compared to most in-game narrators. I imagine it might get wearisome for second (or more) playthroughs.

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin
Blizzard tag: altabiscuit#1164

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by abiscuit » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 pm

+1 to Masa's hipster cred

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:27 pm

I like the narrator for the story, but his commenting on EVERYTHING that happened in the game I just felt was distracting. I don't know if it was the voice necessarily, or just the most of it.

Narrating the story was fine (Reflections, last chapter, etc.) But when everything like falling down, killing enemies had some kind of commentary, it was getting annoying. Again, I can accept that I might be the only person who thought as much.
I am the 1%!

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 pm

The narrarator made me feel like I was cappin fools and pwnin bi***es. So satisfyingly masculine.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 am

I voted, but I will not say where. I haven't played the game, I want to corrupt Masa's scientific study
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 am

I didn't vote because of the polarizing options. The narrator was really good but not the BEST THING EVR.
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 pm

How about not best thing ever but added nicely to the game?

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Buzzy Beetle wrote:I didn't vote because of the polarizing options. The narrator was really good but not the BEST THING EVR.
:!:

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:03 am

Masakari I've disagreed with you in the past but understood your reasoning but this I do not understand!! The Narrator's voice was awesome, he added so many details to a simple story and his voice is just awesome!!!!

I've played through this game 3 times (2nd new game plus, 3rd score attack so I could do any level) and have done a lot of levels just for fun and to try new weapon combos. I thought after a while I'd get annoyed by him but I didn't, his voice sits nicely in the background like a good song. Maybe it's just that you can't focus on someone talking and playing a game at the same time Masakari, I sure can :P