Pokémon Generation VI (X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Pokémon X and Y

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:17 pm

I don't really know if i would count all of the Unkowns as different ones. To me it's like counting all of Deoxy's forms as different ones.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 pm

Will T. wrote:I really like the aesthetic appearances of the starters this time around. And this coming from someone who never likes the aesthetic appearances of the starters.

Don't know if I'll get one of these, but we'll see how they are. I might pick one up eventually as I'd like to continue to expand my 3DS library, which is rather narrow due to, as others have said, the system's rather limited (and lackluster) title options.

Also: everyone knows there are really 251 Pokemon.
It's true, I actually felt like I might like either the water or fire starter right out of they gate. They have a very good look and they're the first we've seen.

And yeah. 251. Gen 2 represent! But it is acceptable with the gen 4 engine. Let's face it, there have been some pretty decent improvements over the years. Unfortunately there's way too many Pokemon now.
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Will T. wrote:
The Domer wrote:
Will T. wrote:Also: everyone knows there are really 151 Pokemon.
FTFY
If you're gonna play that way, at least get the number right: 190. Can't forget the 39 empty slots at the end of the R/B/Y 'mons table that are home to MissingNo. and company! ;)
Technically MissingNo is 000.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm

TheCarpe wrote:Technically MissingNo is 000.
Untechnically, his number is missing.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:50 pm

TheCarpe wrote:Technically MissingNo is 000.
In terms of the Pokedex, yeah. But within the game data there are actually 39 copies of it stored (some of which end up with data that overlaps with other non-standard 'mons, creating stuff like the Missingno.'s that use the fossil sprites) because it is, technically speaking, a placeholder used to fill up empty slots in the master table of 'mons that the game uses to keep track of all the different creatures. Said table contains 151 valid 'mons and 39 "empty" slots, all of those becoming MissingNo. So maybe it just has 39 "forms?" Many of which end up appearing to be identical?

On the subject of the new games: this is the first time ever that I've been tempted to get the grass-type starter. The grass-types have generally always been my least favorite appearance-wise, and for some reason I've always had a habit of picking the fire-type starter (probably, again, for aesthetics). But Chespin is pretty dang adorable...

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Buzzy Beetle wrote: And yeah. 251. Gen 2 represent! But it is acceptable with the gen 4 engine. Let's face it, there have been some pretty decent improvements over the years. Unfortunately there's way too many Pokemon now.
Gen 4 gave me a headache, and this is coming from someone who legitimately broke 300 entries in the Sinnoh National-dex. 300 out of 493 (well, more like 489, probably never going to get legitimate Shaymin, Arceus, Celebi, or Deoxys) took me so long, I wish it was possible to just tell them to stop releasing new games until I finish one of them.

Concerning those empty slots, aren't a lot of them actually used to store other non-pokemon data? I read up on the MissingNo glitch a while back, if I remember correctly if you pull it off some way, your inventory slots allow you to access those values, which store information such as your position in the world or your character name. Or something like that.

Grass type are often the easy way to go. Gen 1, 3, and 4 all pitted you against rock leaders first, and gen 1 also had you follow up with a water meaning your fire starter was screwed. Aesthetics aside, the game's much easier when you have the typing advantage out of the gate; though gen 2 really throws that for a loop. Flying for first gym, and then your grass/poison starter gets handed to by Will once you make it to the Elite 4, I actually started over my original copy of Silver because of Will alone. At least Gen 5 got creative; your starter is always weak to the first gym, but you get a free mon to counter the counter, and it specifically teaches you about the rock-paper-scissors concept if you have no idea what you're actually doing.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:Concerning those empty slots, aren't a lot of them actually used to store other non-pokemon data? I read up on the MissingNo glitch a while back, if I remember correctly if you pull it off some way, your inventory slots allow you to access those values, which store information such as your position in the world or your character name. Or something like that.
According to this page (which is also one source of the "39" number):

"...There were once 190 Pokémon planned for development in Pokémon Red and Green. The error handler Missingno. is used for blank or formatted Pokémon data. Many of its characteristics are either a translated 0 value (e.g. default Nidoran♂ cry with pitch 0), or blank data rolled over to the next logical values (e.g. base stats denoting the rosters of several Burglars [from the Pokemon Mansion])."

Part of what triggers the MissingNo. glitch is that, when taking to the Old Man to trigger the glitch, the player's name is pushed to the area of memory used to determine what wild Pokemon can be encountered in an area so that "OLD MAN" can appear on the battle screen. Different effects can occur depending on the characters in the player's name, with different letters resulting in different data being loaded.

There's also apparently some kind of overlap with data for some of the non-standard 'mons, such as the Kabutops and Aerodactyl fossils and Ghost. I'm having trouble finding detailed info on that though.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:22 pm

I got that inventory thing wrong, I rechecked my sources, the inventory slots I was thinking of was a save-game corruption trick, not the unused pokemon slots. In the case I mentioned, it thinks you are carrying 255 pokemon instead of 0 and by shifting around pokemon, it would transfer that number to your inventory slots, pretty much giving you accidental debug access.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:40 am

Coming from an RBY player, I don't think I could ever get back into pokemon no matter how awesome it looks.

M_G_P
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M_G_P » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 am

as much as i love pokemon the original 151 mon are the true mons others are crossbred mutations

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:00 am

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Dear all the people who think the new Pokémon are "uncreative":

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Boooooring.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by darklin0 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm

In my opinion Hoenn had the last set of good pokemon. Yes the originals were the best but the next 2 gens had their good pokemon as well.
Queen of the We Hate Mateo Club. Co-Captain: Zookie
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin
Blizzard tag: altabiscuit#1164

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by abiscuit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Supreveio wrote:Dear all the people who think the new Pokémon are "uncreative":

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Boooooring.
Very much this.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm

There a good and bad pokes from all generations. We'll differ on what we think is good and bad too. The whole argument is kind of moot I think.