Pokémon Generation VI (X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Pokémon X and Y

Post by The Domer » Wed May 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Go-goggles.

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin
Blizzard tag: altabiscuit#1164

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by abiscuit » Wed May 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Too much surfing.

Will probably buy it anyway because I GOTTA CATCH ALL THE POKEMANZ.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Wed May 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Slightly more info.

Definitely Ruby/Sapphire based (which was a given really), but then they go on to talk about a "spectacular new world," which still strikes me as odd for a remake.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Wed May 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Ruby version was my first proper Pokemon game as a kid so it holds a special place in my heart, so I am very excited about this.
I still got this Groudon coin for pre-ordering the GBA game years ago.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Wed May 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Random baseless theory creation time! Because why not?

The facts:
- Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are clearly Hoenn remakes, but the teaser materials make multiple mentions of a "new" world.
- The Backpacker in the hotels in Pokemon X and Y who keeps telling you about his native region mentions that you will get to visit his home region "soon enough."
- He eventually mentions that his home region is not Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova, ruling out his statements as references to Hoenn (several of the things he mentions as being in his home region sound remarkably like landmarks in Hoenn).
- The Strange Souvenir item this tourist gives you is a regular item as opposed to a key item, meaning it can be given to a Pokemon to hold and thus traded to another game.
- The Strange Souvenir does nothing in X and Y and has no story significance. It requires quite a bit of effort to get for something so seemingly meaningless, requiring you to hunt down and speak to a specific NPC a large number of times as he randomly moves between the hotels in Kalos.

The theory:
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are set in Hoenn, but will include a second, all-new region, similar to the Sevii Islands in FireRed/LeafGreen but on a scale closer to that of Kanto in Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver. Trading the Strange Souvenir into OR/AS will either grant access to this new region or do something when visiting it.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu May 08, 2014 12:47 am

Personally I liked Gen 3 so I'm looking forward to remake. Generation 3 has my favorite set of starters (the only generation other then gen 1 where I liked all 3 starers) and evil team was kinda more interesting because they had good intentions they tried to achievement with stupid and harmful means (although they're still dumb this is a pokemon game remember).

I'll probably pick up omega ruby because I have kyorge already in my copy of X and Y.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu May 08, 2014 3:28 am

I should pick up Omega Ruby when it comes out simply because I had Sapphire when I was younger (I still have it, but something broke in it and now nothing reads it except my GBWriter for some reason). I did the same thing with HG/SS where I went for Heart Gold since I had the original Silver version. Though about six months later I picked up Soul Silver anyway and ended up playing it more than Heart Gold for whatever reason. So I predict that if I get Omega Ruby, i'll buy Alpha Sapphire too after a short while.

An interesting detail I found browsing Reddit: the names in this case appear to refer to Groudon and Kyogre's designs. While the box art (are these confirmed final art?) seems to show alternate designs for both Groudon and Kyogre (possibly hinting mega evolutions?), in both cases Groudon has a pattern resembling an Omega on it's claws while Kyogre has a patter similar to an Alpha on it's flippers.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu May 08, 2014 10:06 am

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Thu May 08, 2014 10:31 am

Killing two birds with one stone:

A theory:
Why alpha and omega?

Alpha and Omega are the extreme ends of the Greek alphabet. Teams Aqua and Magma have extremist ideals (that are also completely opposite each other).

Fire and Leaf were just descriptors.

Heart and Soul are complementary ideas. Ho-Oh and Lugia aren't antagonistic towards each other.

Alpha and Omega are extreme ends of a spectrum. Groudon is the land, Kyogre is the sea, and they are mutually exclusive. It also goes well with Xerneas and Yveltal's life and death theme.

A goofy picture:
VIEW CONTENT:
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu May 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Supreveio wrote: A goofy picture:
VIEW CONTENT:
Gamma was cooler. And had a better theme.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Thu May 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:
Supreveio wrote: A goofy picture:
VIEW CONTENT:
Gamma was cooler. And had a better theme.
WORTHLESS CONSUMER MODELS
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri May 09, 2014 3:54 am

Guys, I think we're wrong about everything. (NSFW Language Alert)
VIEW CONTENT:

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri May 09, 2014 11:34 am

I like how the pokemon fanbase gets so excited about remakes that there are jokes about Gen 4 remake speculation before the Gen 3 remakes are even out.

Also does anyone else think it'll be weird that we'll have a remake which you can transfer pokemon from the original?

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Fri May 09, 2014 7:45 pm

I don't think you guys are looking deeply enough into this to find the true hidden meaning.

Ruby and Sapphire took place in Hoenn, which starts with an H.
R/S gave us Latios and Latias, whose as-of-yet unreleased mega stones have been found by hackers in X and Y and will likely be available in the new games. Their names both start with L. Together they form a duo, of which they are each half.
These games are remakes of gen 3.
Gen 3 is exactly half of the current gen of 6.
Xerneas, who appears in gen 6, is known as the Life Pokemon.

So we have references to the letter H, the letter L, and the number 3, along with two references to the idea of "half" and one to the idea of "life." (2+1=3, it's important to note.)

GUYS.
This is Valve's way of announcing Half-Life 3. They've been known to have extremely convoluted ways of announcing stuff in the past, including hiding stuff in other studios' games, but this clearly tops everything they've ever done before.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat May 10, 2014 8:36 am

Dang it Valve really needs to hurry up and release the next half life already. We're getting dangerously close to Duke Nukem forever levels of lateness here. Even just a teaser or trailer would be nice, just something to tell us it exists.