Pokémon Generation VI (X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Pokémon Generation VI (X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:19 am

Will T. wrote:...but you can have your pick of literally any other 5IV spread. :P All of them have Pokerus - bring the virus to Hoenn right from the start!
I believe you're still going to need to have the National Dex in order to access Bank via ORAS; you needed it for X/Y Bank access so I figure they're following suite.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:48 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:
Will T. wrote:...but you can have your pick of literally any other 5IV spread. :P All of them have Pokerus - bring the virus to Hoenn right from the start!
I believe you're still going to need to have the National Dex in order to access Bank via ORAS; you needed it for X/Y Bank access so I figure they're following suite.
I don't think you needed it for Bank in XY - according to Reddit, people were able to restart their games and import any 'mons they wanted from Bank as soon as they reached a PC. National Dex 'mons just have their Dex number listed as "???" on their summary screen until the National Dex is acquired.

The recently released Japanese animated trailer for ORAS is now available in English:

Apparently I've been mispronouncing roughly 50% of these species' names for the last decade. I'm not changing the way I pronounce them.

Serebii has a fair bit of new info today, including the announcement that the shiny Beldum event is already live, so you can grab it as soon as you start the game and pick it up from the Oldale Town Pokemon Center. They also have a few game spoilers (including explanations of how to get the Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova starters, plus an explanation of what the heck "Sea Mauville" is) that I won't bring here out of courtesy, but if you're like me and can't resist, head over there and check them out. They also have a preliminary list of version exclusives if you need a little help in picking which version to get.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Who's still on the fence about what version to get? I found some info to push the decision forward.

So far from the info Serebii is telling playing Pokemon Omega ruby, Omega ruby has access to Megastones that were exculsive to Pokemon X but I've heard nothing about stones exculsive to Pokemon Y, it's a bit early to call but so far it looks like they gave X stones to Omega and Y stones to Alpha. EDIT: Nevermind, my theory just broke with the latest discovery. Seems there's either no or few exculsive stones this time around.

You can see the details here but warning there may be some spoilers for people who want to go in fresh: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread ... ery-Thread
Last edited by Guardian on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Ooh, even more reason for me to go for Alpha Sapphire. I already traded for all the Y stones, but at least I can (maybe) get them again! :P

Serebii has posted the new Hoenn Dex. As expected, it includes Sinnoh evolutions of Hoenn-native species: Gallade, Probopass, Magnezone, Dusknoir, and Froslass. It also includes Deoxys thanks to the Delta Episode, and more surprisingly, it includes Jirachi. Is Jirachi also available in-game somehow? So many answers will come in the next week! (Sorry, Europe.)

[EDIT: Just realized Jirachi is also in the original Hoenn Dex. Still, it comes before Deoxys, and Deoxys is in-game, so there's no telling what might happen.]

Serebii is currently on a Mega Stone hunt and will likely have a list of stones posted later today. No verifiable leaks have surfaced regarding hidden stones thus far, and data-mining of the recent Pokemon Bank update hasn't revealed any more, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Leaks are hard to distinguish from trolls, and Bank doesn't allow for items to be uploaded, so who knows how complete its item list actually needs to be?

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Alright so now I got enough confirmation that all X stones are in Omega, but they confirmed one Y stone in Omega as well, not sure how the exculsives will settle but basically I've found out Omega has all the mega stones I want so that's the version I'm getting.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:11 pm

A bunch more interesting discoveries from Serebii. Spoiler'd so as not to reveal too much to those who don't want to see (even I'm avoiding most of the spoiler-tagged stuff on Serebii right now). I'll edit as more cool stuff comes up.
VIEW CONTENT:
- The event Beldum does not know Take Down - it has four other moves instead, obviously none of which can otherwise be learned by the one-move wonder:
--- Hold Back (previously exclusive to Pokebank Celebi - get a False Swiper right from the start!)
--- Iron Head
--- Zen Headbutt
--- Iron Defense
- Beldum starts at level 5, unlike Torchic in XY who started at level 10. As previously announced, it has the Metagrossite in its possession
- Mirage Islands, not to be confused with the original 1-in-65,536-chance-to-appear Mirage Island that only had a single Berry on it or the Mirage Spots in which legendary Pokemon are found, are islands that will appear and change around daily. They feature Pokemon not otherwise catchable in Hoenn, many of which aren't in gen 6 at all otherwise. For example, one such island that Serebii found has a cave with Tynamo and Cofagrigus in it. There are also permanently-appearing islands which can be explored and have the past-gen legends on them.
- You can get one each of the Johto, Unova, and Sinnoh starters in the postgame, in that order. Johto is for beating the Delta Episode and Unova and Sinnoh are for beating the E4 a second and then third time. None have their HAs, sadly. I'm kept apart from my precious Flash Fire Typhlosion for a little longer. :( Also no Contrary Serperior yet.
- The Maison de Merde Battle Maison is, unfortunately, back to remind us that GF sometimes forgets how to make things that are fun. It's in a new area called the Battle Resort, which includes high-leveled trainers separate from the Maison, Move Tutors that teach moves in exchange for BP, and a second day-care center (does this mean no more having to use Fly to get to the IV checker after hatching?!). Interestingly, an NPC inside the Maison says that he originally scouted one of the Frontier Brains from Emerald and is currently at the Maison looking for new ones, possibly hinting at the Battle Frontier making a proper return later
- The Mega Stones for the starters you didn't pick are available for purchase later in the game, so no worries about missing out on them or having to trade for them
- The Scorched Slab, the random empty cave with the Sunny Day TM in it in gen 3, is now a proper dungeon with Heatran at the bottom
- Sea Mauville is the new name for the Abandoned Ship, which is now an abandoned research station. There are hidden items underwater which cannot be tracked wit the Dowsing Machine, so brace yourself. There's also more to do here after completing the Scanner quest
- The Shoal Salts/Shells quest has a Mega Stone reward, so it's more worth doing than it was before
- The Glalie Mega Stone is found in the Shoal Cave, meaning it isn't exclusive to the demo. No word yet on the one for Steelix.
- The Safari Zone is back
- A Berry Garden is now present at the Berry Master's house, much like the one in XY, for those of us who don't like having berries scattered everywhere across Hoenn
- There do not appear to be any hidden Mega Stones that we don't know about. :( Oh well, still lots of cool new stuff to play with!

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:02 pm

I caught a male Ralts recently so I'm thinking of trying out a Gallade this time around (despite the fact Gardevoir was on my last team), I have a spare Dawn stone in Y but hopefully you get an early Dawn stone from Wally or something.

EDIT: Also if you want to make the game slightly hard, TURN EXP OFF, I'm playing with it off and my guys are still around the same level as the gym leaders (at 2nd gym).

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:30 pm

I've spent way too much time with AS since getting it Thursday night, and I'm now through the first six gyms and approaching Mossdeep City. Here are some notes so far, including a few hints (spoiler warning!):
VIEW CONTENT:
- Everything looks nicer than XY for some reason. I think the colors in the world are less washed-out - everything is more vivid and lively.
- You can use Fly to go directly to routes now! Sadly you can't fly to Secret Bases, but flying to the route they're on is pretty close. You need to reach the city at the far end of a route or set of routes before you can fly to those routes; e.g. to fly to Route 122 or Route 123, you need to reach Lilycove City. When flying to a route, you'll land directly in front of the sign that says "ROUTE (Number)," which is always on land, so you'll end up on tiny islands if you fly to water routes.
- The music is excellent, and very faithful to the original games while being updated to XY's style. Mt. Pyre in particular has an awesome soundtrack.
- The Trick House is awesome in 3D. Check it out!
- Mauville City is completely redesigned. It's now completely indoors and looks like a shopping mall. The bike shop and Wattson's gym are still here, along with a few new facilities, including a place to do inverse battles, the Battle Institute, and the move tutors for the "Pledge" moves, the Grass/Fire/Water-typed variations of Hyper Beam learnable by the top-level starter evos, and Keldeo's Secret Sword + Meloetta's Relic Song.
- Fortree City gets its own unique remix of its theme music, similar to how Cianwood and Ecruteak in GSC each had unique remixes of their shared tune in HGSS.
- The Abandoned Ship has been replaced with a research facility called Sea Mauville, which was abandoned and allowed to drop into the sea in order to create an artificial reef. It's functionally identical to the original, but looks 1,000 times more awesome. It still resembles a ship in its layout and design and features the same need for Dive in order to explore it. You can use Fly to go directly to it once you visit it.
- Lati@s will no longer roam. The respective Eon Pokemon is handed to you shortly after beating the fifth gym and surfing across the water gap on Route 118, in a very short mini-quest where the opposite Lati shows up and carries you to Southern Island to fight off a pair of Team Magma/Aqua goons who are threatening the Lati exclusive to your game. You get to keep that one as soon as you win the double battle, and it comes with its respective Mega Stone. They're at level 30 when acquired. This is also when you get the Mega Bracelet. Sadly you can't fly back to Southern Island after visiting - the map tells you that "a mysterious aura prevents approach by mere humans."
- Like in R/S, the Master Ball is found in an out-of-the-way area of the Team Magma/Aqua base in Lilycove City. The area can be skipped completely when going through the story-relevant path, so be sure to check everywhere. It looks like you can re-enter the base later to get it, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I've been playing around with Secret Bases a lot. If you want stuff for a base, the Slateport stalls have a few small things, but for the really good stuff, go to the Lilycove Department Store's 5th floor. If they don't have what you want, try the clearance sale on the roof. I walked in with $75,000 and left nearly broke. :P

Some notes on bases:
VIEW CONTENT:
- You can get other people's bases by StreetPassing them, but you can also get bases just by being connected to the Internet - occasionally passersby's bases will show up in your game. Their bases will appear wherever they've been built in the other player's game. If you want to build in that spot, you can delete their base by going inside and using the PC.
- Placing a bed in your base allows visitors (and you) to heal their teams by interacting with it. Great to have in out-of-the-way bases, or any base in general really.
- You can register somebody as a Secret Pal, which will cause them to appear in your base. You can control where Secret Pals will stand in your base from the decorating menu. Secret Pals can do things like find Berries for you once per day, and can also be battled whenever you like. You can have up to five Secret Pals at a time.
- I'm not sure how Secret Base battle teams are set, but you get Exp for KO-ing opponents and don't lose money or black out when you win. This means that the dream of an all-Audino or all-Blissey grinding-centric base may be do-able! Find five people who have these set up, register them all as Secret Pals, and feel a vague sense of guilt as you gain more Exp than is ever acceptable for one person.
- There's an item limit in bases, and I hit it long before I was done decorating. :(
- There are some awesome decorations to find, including the globe seen in Pokemon Centers in Unova and scale models of Castelia City and Lumiose City.
You can share Secret Bases via QR codes. You can use the 3DS Image Share tool to get the code in a format viewable on a computer, or extract it directly from your SD card if you're really willing to go through all that trouble. Here's mine:

It's on Route 119 west of one of the waterfalls. It requires the Acro Bike to access.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:29 am

So Dex-Nav is the best thing ever.

http://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasa ... xnav.shtml

If you encounter a wild pokemon you can select it on the bottom of your screen and it'll appear with it's tail sticking up (or in the water bobbling) to find it again if your searching for a specific nature or something.

More cool is if you search for something over and over again (and either fighting and catching the pokemon), the pokemon your looking for will get hidden unique moves and at one point it's hidden ability. I'm using it to get speed boost Sharpedo.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:22 pm

There's a bugfix patch available on the eShop now, which is required in order to connect ORAS to the Internet. Be sure to grab it before you hop in-game. No patch notes are available, and nobody seems to be quite sure what bugs it fixes, but there it is. There weren't any game-breaking bugs that I'm aware of this time around, so it's not something huge like the Lumiose City patch from XY.

Also, the Eon Ticket serial codes that were in this month's Corocoro magazine in Japan are able to be redeemed in-game starting today, which means that Japan will be able to StreetPass the Eon Ticket around. It should be making its way to the US any time, I'd imagine. Get StreetPassing!

Also, for those of you with the demo, don't forget to send over all your bonuses. I keep forgetting to send mine...

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:29 am

So far my team is as follows:

Grovile:
My Starter obviously, often I pick the fire or water starter each generation since I often dislike grass starers. There are a couple key exceptions and Treekco has always been my favorite grass starter (though Torchic is my favorite starter) so for the sake of variety Treekco beat Torchic and Mudkip sine I’ve used both of them on previous teams.

Gallade
Thanks to abuscuit helping transfer my Dawn stone from Y to Omega, I’ve got this guy. Ralts is a bit of a pain in the early game but once you get some good moves he's a nice addition. What’s weird before evolving Ralts and it’s immediate evolution is a special psychic/fairy and Gallade is a physical psychic/fighting type now which makes his moveset completely different, it’s like I traded for a completely different pokemon.

Swablu
Like ralts Swabu was a bit of a pain at first but with some TMs for good STABS and little leveling Swablu is turning out to be a good fluffy tank even before evolving. I can’t wait till he evolves into a dragon and later mega-evolves into a Dragon/Fairy

Sharpedo
2 Words SPEED BOOST. I spent way too much time with the Dex-Nav hunting for the perfect version of this guy but he has an attack boosting nature and the hidden ability of speed boost. Ya sure he’s a glass cannon but he can outspeed everyone and hit like a truck!

Non-permament team members:
Voltorb:
Funny story, I got this guy when he was around level 23 when my guys were level 17 in a random shaky grass spot. He’s been in my backpocket ever since. He’s level 29 now (guess who was the guy killing/catching all the Sharpedo candidates?) so he’ll stay on my team until I figure out my 5th. In the meantime I can thunderwave something then Volt-switch out.

Bidoof:
I got this guy randomly through wonder-trade, I laughed he’s my HM slave now.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:52 am

Guardian wrote:So far my team is as follows:
You're not using the Shiny Beldum with the cheating moveset from Mystery Gift? He comes with Hold Back, a variation of False Swipe, as well as two strong STAB moves giving it a very strong presence early on. I suppose using him is somewhat of an easy mode but I'd figure most people would be rolling with it since this is the first time he's really been available so early without requiring other players' assistance.

Right now here's what I've got going, i'm just outside of the Petalburg Gym getting ready to fight Norman:

Grovyle
-Took him for nostalgia sake as Treeko was my starter in my original Sapphire copy. Protip: Treeko learns Giga Drain at level 21, Grovyle and Sceptile do not learn it at all. It pays off to wait a bit before evolving.

Metang
-The Mystery Gift Beldum. His usefulness is already explained.

Ninjask
-He's quite fast. Eventually he'll learn Baton Pass so i'll be able to hand off his Speed Boosts to other mons, particurally Metagross when it gets there.

Delcatty
-I picked this one mainly due to the fact that I was looking for different 'mons to level this time around. I hadn't raised a Skitty before, but this one i'm glad I did; she came with Normalize so I can abuse that to use Thunder Wave on Ground types. Attract and Thunder Wave also serve to completely neutralize any male threats while I proceed to wreck with Echoed Voice or Secret Power.

Loudred
-Lucky Shiny capture in the Rusturf Tunnel, I couldn't pass him up. Modest nature so he'll be running special attack moves. Right now he abuses Echoed Voice with the Metronone, but he'll move on to Hyper Voice and eventually Boomburst.

Lombre
-Early find, since he knew Teeter Dance I decided to take him along. A little weak but so far he's proving to be a useful Water-user, especially with my poor type diversity.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:56 am

I thought long and hard about using him (Metagross is one of my favorites) but in the end I decided that he would be too OP and make the game too easy and I've been enforcing a couple rules to increae the difficultly of the game (No EXP share, Battle style is set).

He'll be on my competitive team, I soft-reset until I got a good natured one. I also rejected another new gift pokemon that's way too damn OP for a leveling adventure that'll you run into soon yourself.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:18 pm

I finished the E4 on Monday night - it took me about the same amount of game time as the original Sapphire to reach and complete the League, but I played it all much more condensed. The League really isn't that much easier even with the Exp Share on for the entire game; the game's levels catch up to you all of a sudden at the League, and start ramping up fast in the postgame. I won with only a couple of faints because A.) I was better-stocked on healing items this time around than in Sapphire, and B.) I was capable of hitting every single 'mon there super-effectively thanks to careful planning.

Here's my final story team:

Sceptile - My starter. I've never picked Treecko before, but I had Torchic in Sapphire and the gift one in X and I picked Mudkip from Steven Stone in SoulSilver, so I went with him for a change. It was hard at first, but ultimately worth it once I got to the second half of the story.

Metagross - The gift one. He proved invaluable in catching 'mons all throughout the game, and was the one to finish the battle with Steven. I kept his moves up until the League, at which point I needed a reliable way to beat Steven and ended up replacing Zen Headbutt with Earthquake. I might swap it back now that the E4 is over, especially since I no longer have any Psychic-type moves on my team.

Mightyena - Originally the Thunder Fang Poochyena from the DexNav tutorial. I kept her on my team because having an Electric-type move was a great plus. She eventually learned Incinerate via TM and became my Fire user as well, and with STAB Crunch, she was a great wildcard battler.

Masquerain - She didn't end up doing much, and even sat out several of my gym battles, but she was my Secret Power user and eventual Flash user at Victory Road. I wanted to raise a different Bug-type than I have before, and since she nearly wiped my level-5 Bug-weakness-heavy team with Fell Stinger at the start of my game, I had to have her.

Linoone - Another one I had on my original Sapphire team. I needed an HM slave, and Linoone did well last time, so here he is again. Funnily enough, he proved an amazing asset at the Elite 4 with Surf and Rock Smash, surprising me by taking out a couple of otherwise nasty-looking opponents, including Glacia's Walrein. Normal-types are awesome to have when not using Normal-type moves because of their neutrality to 16 out of 18 types.

Swellow - Originally my Fly user, but not so much after getting the Eon Flute, which lets you fly with Lati@s whenever you want, even if they're not on your team. Great for when I needed Flying-type moves and didn't want to risk poor type matchups with Masquerain. Now she's probably going to become a contest 'mon in the Cool category.

Lombre - She got swapped out for Taillow/Swellow early on when I decided that having two Grass-types was redundant. She rejoined near the end however as a Dive and Waterfall user once I no longer needed Fly. She didn't end up going to the E4 though due to being 20 levels below everyone else.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:15 pm

Hmm interesting Will I might have to turn on the EXP share after the final gym.