Pokémon Generation VI (X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Pokémon Generation VI (X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Post by Will T. » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:44 am

New trailer!

The run-down:

-Latios and Latias will join up with you in a scene involving Steven Stone, rather than being caught the old-fashioned way (this might indicate they no longer roam)
-Lati@s look really nice in the overworld
-Flying around Hoenn is showcased. It appears to be free flight, but that's not confirmed yet. You can perform loops and DO A BARREL ROLL
-Those mysterious storm clouds are finally explained! They're called "Mirage Spots" and will contain rare species. It's not confirmed yet if "rare" = "legendary," but the legends are confirmed catchable in a separate announcement from the mirage spots
-Ho-Oh, Lugia, Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, and Zekrom can all be caught by flying on Lati@s
-The PokeNav is detailed. There's a ton of info about it on the official site as well. It's divided into several components now, each with specific functionalities:
---The DexNav lets you hunt for specific species, and can be leveled up through use to allow you to hunt for HA Pokemon and 'mons with specific moves. It's like the Poke Radar, except not awful. You can even register species found in the overworld, e.g. if some NPC in a building has a Slakoth next to him in the overworld, you can register it.
---The AreaNav allows you to view the map, which is more useful than in other games. You can set it to tell you which Pokemon are on each route, highlight Trainers looking to battle (are rematches back after their sore absence in XY?), show you Secret Base locations, and find berries (looks like berry-growing takes place all over Hoenn again - either that or they'll have berry trees like the ones in XY which drop one berry a week). You can even fly directly from the AreaNav map if you have a Fly user in your party!
---The BuzzNav is some sort of news system. It's used for StreetPass and has a mini TV-type feature. The Holo Caster is retained in the PlayNav (see below) for news announcements from Nintendo/GF.
---The PlayNav is XY's PSS, Pokemon-Amie, and Super Training rolled into one. All three appear to have the same functionalities as in XY. The PSS is confirmed to be able to connect directly with XY players (not that there was any doubt). Wonder Trade is back!
-Official Mega Pidgeot and Mega Beedrill reveal, after the leaks last week

Can't wait for October 20!

EDIT: There's a bit more info on Lati@s and their role in the story on this page. It appears you have to rescue them from something. The screens on the page seem to show that there will be some new animations for them in Pokemon-Amie, which is nice because I felt like the Amie animations in XY were rather limited.

EDIT 2: If the screens on this page are anything to go by, it appears that you might be able to get the Mega Stone for the starter you pick in the demo. Since you can transfer stuff from the demo to ORAS later on, it might be a good idea to pick a different starter for the demo than you're planning on using in ORAS. If you got the Torchic event in XY late last year, you could pick one of the other two in the demo and the last one in ORAS to have all three stones, no trading required!

EDIT 3: More news! Courtesy of Serebii:

-Mega Glalie and Mega Steelix confirmed. Both are in the demo. Glalie is Ice-type and gets Refrigerate, and Steelix gets Sand Force.
-An interview with Junichi Masuda has confirmed that character customization is NOT present in ORAS. That's a bummer. :( At least there's enough other stuff that it doesn't matter too much. And it didn't even matter in XY if you were a guy anyway, because you got like six clothing options. Raggin-fraggin' sexism...
---The same interview claims that XY will NOT be patched to make the new Megas or Primals available in those games. That seems stupid.

EDIT 4: Word on the street is that the megas appearing in the demo are different depending on region. Japan has Mega Steelix and Korea has Mega Glalie. Other regions may have other yet-to-be-revealed megas.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Will T. wrote: ---The same interview claims that XY will NOT be patched to make the new Megas or Primals available in those games. That seems stupid.
If this is indeed the case, better get those second DSes and Pokemon Bank ready as to stay competitive you'll need to move to ORAS.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:19 pm

It turns out you can't transfer your chosen starter/Mega Stone from the demo to ORAS. There goes that plan to easily get all three. :(

You can, however, apparently play through it multiple times in order to get multiple small bonuses for ORAS:
VIEW CONTENT:
Your first play-through gets you one of the new Mega Stones, your third play through gets you some Poke Balls (you don't get any in the demo to catch wild 'mons though), your fifth play through gets you some Heal Balls, and your tenth play through gets you some Heart Scales. Apparently repeat plays have different tasks for you to perform than your first play though.
(I don't have the demo yet; this info comes from Reddit)

EDIT: A few more points from the ORAS website that I haven't seen before:

-The connection between Mirage Spots and legendaries is now confirmed
-People are spculating that this image on the ORAS website is of the interior of Mauville City, which has been shown on the map to now be a covered building. There's another image that I can't find anymore which makes mention of a "Mauville Food Court," which, coupled with the linked image here, appears to indicate that Mauville is now a shopping mall of some kind
Last edited by Will T. on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Hackers over at ProjectPokemon has discovered in the demo that the unannounced event Pokemon Hoopa has a Mega Evolution. This is everything they've found so far by mucking about in the demo's code.
http://pastebin.com/eKAmvkQn

Sadly there does not appear to be a mega slated for Flygon like everyone wants.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Serebii has put up a rather detailed breakdown concerning compatibility between X/Y and ORAS, as well as pointing out that ORAS will be automatically compatible with Pokemon Bank. No word if Bank will allow for ORAS exclusive moves, such as Delta Stream or Precipice Blades.

http://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasa ... lity.shtml

What it's looking like:
X/Y will have separate servers from ORAS; Battle Spot will keep the two games apart.
You can trade between X/Y and ORAS, but new items (the mega stones) and possibly new moves will not be allowed to be traded. You can trade them between ORAS without issue though.
X/Y Rating Battle will allow Pokemon transferred from Gen V, however ORAS Rating Battle will require all Gen VI native; shouldn't be an issue with the reveal that tutors are back. Hatching in Gen VI counts as native, so if it came from Black/White or earlier and was bred, it will be legal.

The details concerning Wonder Trade and the GTS aren't known right now.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Tomorrow is the sign-up deadline for the Pokemon Trainer Club newsletter if you want to get the demo. It's unknown yet if "sign up by October 20" means "sign up before October 20 begins, because that's the day the demos go out" or "sign up by the end of the day on October 20, because the demos go out on the 21st," so get signed up now and keep an eye on your inbox for the next 48 hours!

Serebii has compiled a hefty bit of info on the demo. It sounds like it has a surprising amount done to it to make it interesting to play repeatedly, including a (possibly) semi-random mission system that takes you to one of six islands and tasks you with finding a person/Pokemon, battling all the trainers on the island, or other goals. Rewards are given on the first, third, fifth, and tenths missions completed, with nothing known to happen after that. Some people are reporting though that completing 20 missions gives you a new option to "go somewhere secret" when talking to Steven Stone, although the Reddit user who first reported on this suddenly went silent after posting screenshots of the mission that began after picking the new menu option. I guess it's something to discover on our own!

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Lots of new official info on various pointlessly-convoluted ways to get the ORAS demo

A run-down:
- "Select cinemas" will distribute codes from Nov. 7 to Nov. 13
- Some retailers will do distributions during the holidays
- Buying Pokemon Art Academy from the Nintendo eShop (releases this Friday - I tried it at PAX, it's pretty neat) will get you a code
- Pokemon Puzzle Challenge comes to the Virtual Console on Nov. 6, and Pokemon TCG on Nov. 13 - both will get you a code in your emailed receipt
- "Codes will be emailed the week of Oct. 31 to select Nintendo customers with Nintendo Network IDs who have signed up to receive promotional emails from Nintendo." - This sounds like a repeat of the Smash demo situation
- A Nintendo mall tour will give out codes from Nov. 24 to Dec. 21 around the country

Strangely that article makes no mention of the Trainer Club newsletter that's supposed to come out this week. I suppose it's too late to announce that with today being the sign-up deadline, but it still feels weird. I still don't understand why it can't just be an eShop download.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Why can't they just let you download it through the eShop? Why do they need to be so convoluted over EVERYTHING they try to do where PR is concerned?

In other news, Pokemon TCG GBC may actually be coming to North America
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/2_ ... VCpqLeMEV9

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:14 pm

The Trainer Club newsletter with the demo code is being sent out starting today! It's being sent in waves, so if you don't have it yet, keep checking - it will arrive eventually, so long as you've set up your email account to not filter out messages from Pokemon.com. Nintendo Support told somebody that it will take "up to one week" to send out all the emails, so it's possible the demo codes won't be arriving for some until as late as next Monday. :/

Some people are reporting issues with getting the code to appear in the email, instead showing up as an error message of some sort. This is apparently due to excessive stress on Nintendo's servers (keep in mind how well they understand the Internet), and "will be sorted out." Please Understand(TM), I guess. Some are saying that refreshing the email a hundred or so times can make it appear.

I got lucky with my email and received the email at 9:45 AM PDT today, letting me get into the eShop and get the demo downloaded before the servers pooped themselves. Here are my notes from playing the demo (lots of text!):
VIEW CONTENT:
The demo itself:

- The first mission has you pick the mid-evo of one of the starters, which will be at level 35 with half the Exp needed to level up again. It should get enough Exp from battling during the mission itself to evolve, at which point you receive its Mega Stone and it learns its respective type-specific Hyper Beam tutor move (Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant, Hydro Cannon). The mission itself has you taking on a few Team Aqua + Team Magma people alongside May and Steven Stone, eventually reaching a wild Glalie which can be caught (the Poke Balls Steven Stone gives you are set to provide a guaranteed capture as far as I can tell). You can later choose to transfer this Glalie + its Mega Stone to ORAS, but you can also keep it in the demo and use it for later missions, along with its Mega Stone.
- Most missions after the second one are randomized, tasking you with finding a lost person on an island (not hard), battling 3 or so trainers on an island, or moving in the grass until you flush out a Pokemon that Steven Stone is looking for. For these missions, you get all three starters' final evos and the Glalie from the first mission. Any Exp earned from previous missions is reset at the start of each new mission, with the starters being level 36 and Glalie being level 40, the level you catch it at.
- The first mission provides ~10 minutes of gameplay, but the rest afterward are only 3-5 minutes each.
- Rewards that can be transferred to the full ORAS games are as follows:
--- Mission 1: Glalie + Mega Stone
--- Mission 3: 10 Poke Balls
--- Mission 5: 10 Heal Balls
--- Mission 10: 5 Heart Scales (Mission 9 also mentions giving you Heart Scales, but I only received them after finishing the 10th mission)
- It's unknown still if anything happens after the 10th play through - someone on Reddit found a new menu option on their 21st playthrough leading to a secret mission, but others have played 20+ missions without finding the same thing. It might be time-based - it was on his second day with the demo. According to him, nothing else happened after he finished it - it's the same mission every time he picks that option. Is this related to the note on the official ORAS site about playing the demo every day?

ORAS New Features:
- The accursed roller skates are no more! The circle pad now lets you walk freely off the grid! You have to push it all the way to the edge to walk at full speed (you can hold B to run this way too, of course). Pressing it part of the way causes you to sneak at a speed that varies with how far you press it. Pressing the D-pad while off the grid nudges you back onto the grid.
- Pokemon hiding in the grass are presented in a manner similar to the rustling grass in gen 5: a shadow appears rustling around in the grass at random, and you have to sneak with the circle pad to reach it, or else the Pokemon gets scared away. You can identify the Pokemon by the general shape of the shadow (they're generic models for different 'mon body styles) as well as its cry, which will play intermittently in the overworld. It's unknown if these patches will appear randomly in the full game, but the official site shows that Pokemon will appear in this manner when searching for specific species with the PokeNav's new DexNav feature.
- The BuzzNav TV plays nonstop on the bottom screen in the demo. It reveals that the Mauville Food Court is some sort of battle facility that sounds like it'll be either a battle restaurant like the ones in Lumiose City in XY or a variation on the Battle Chateau on Route 7. It has a few other messages as well. (EDIT: Added a few of the other messages below.)
--- The Shoal Cave's tide system is returning.
--- Lilycove Department Store is returning.
--- Mirage Spots (the dark clouds containing legendaries) will be announced via the BuzzNav, perhaps implying that they either move around or aren't always present.
- The characters in the overworld animate a lot more than they did in XY, including changing facial expressions and stepping to face a new direction instead of just rotating in place without moving. It's simple, but massively improves the feel of the game.
- The overworld camera pans a little during cutscenes, again providing a subtle yet hugely effective change to the feel of the game. The whole thing just seems more polished overall than XY, which look almost unfinished by comparison.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 am

Will T. wrote:Some people are reporting issues with getting the code to appear in the email, instead showing up as an error message of some sort. This is apparently due to excessive stress on Nintendo's servers (keep in mind how well they understand the Internet), and "will be sorted out." Please Understand(TM), I guess. Some are saying that refreshing the email a hundred or so times can make it appear.
All I had to do was click "View Online" (as in the mail program's button to view the email as a webpage) and it came up no problem.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:17 am

Don't forget to stop by your local GameStop between now and the 16th for a code to claim your own Diancie. Claiming Diancie also triggers an interesting NPC conversation on the spot. Diancie is level 50, in a Cherish Ball, has a random nature, is holding a Normal Gem (which there's only one of in a normal playthrough) and knows Diamond Storm (signature ability), Moonblast, Reflect, and Return. Also, either i'm very lucky with the two I have (I borrowed my brother's game, he doesn't play it) or Diancie is guaranteed three perfect IVs.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 am

Both the PokeBank Celebi and the Japanese movie Darkrai were guaranteed 3 perfect IVs, but I only got perfect HP on Diancie, so I think it's random this time around.
VIEW CONTENT:
Does anyone know what happens if you choose to give your Diancie to the people who try to get it from you upon receiving it? I'm guessing it's not that different from what happens if you say you want to keep it (the dialog for the third guy that shows up sounds like it was written to be used no matter which menu option you pick), but I obviously didn't let them take it, so I have no idea what the other option does.

EDIT: Reddit says that the event plays out the same no matter what you say. I'm now really curious as to who that guy is and whether he's going to be of any importance. XY are full of stupid story dead-ends, so it's not out of the question that it's just flavor.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Will T. wrote:Both the PokeBank Celebi and the Japanese movie Darkrai were guaranteed 3 perfect IVs, but I only got perfect HP on Diancie, so I think it's random this time around.
VIEW CONTENT:
Does anyone know what happens if you choose to give your Diancie to the people who try to get it from you upon receiving it? I'm guessing it's not that different from what happens if you say you want to keep it (the dialog for the third guy that shows up sounds like it was written to be used no matter which menu option you pick), but I obviously didn't let them take it, so I have no idea what the other option does.

EDIT: Reddit says that the event plays out the same no matter what you say. I'm now really curious as to who that guy is and whether he's going to be of any importance. XY are full of stupid story dead-ends, so it's not out of the question that it's just flavor.
If you just hand it over, the guy comes in and stops you, then proceeds to say the same exact thing if you had held out.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Quick PSA, there's a Version 1.3 update for Pokemon X/Y on the eShop, or at least for X, I didn't see Y in there. According to the description, it's a bug fix patch. You may need this patch to claim Diancie.

EDIT: Reddit confirms Y's update is also out. Look for it.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:57 pm

There's a new trailer on the Japanese Pokemon YouTube channel (all in Japanese, of course):

A lot of it is footage of known features, but it shows some neat new stuff too:

- A comparison of a few scenes from RSE on GBA with their counterparts in ORAS:
--- The opening cutscene of Brendan on the bike with Latios flying by
--- Fortree City's bridges (also glimpsed in an earlier trailer)
--- A few battle scenes - starting a battle with Roxanne, Groudon vs. Blaziken, and Kyogre vs. Swampert
--- Mr. Briney's boat ride (glimpsed in earlier trailers)
- Surfing on Route 108, with the Abandoned ship looking absolutely amazing in the background - very imposing and ominous, as it should be, putting the dinky thing we saw in the original RSE to shame
- The redone bike theme is heard for the first time
- Diving on Wailmer is shown - recent screenshots from the Japanese Pokemon site seem to show that Wailmer gets a unique Surf/Dive model, similar to Lapras Surfing in XY
- The night sky reflects in smooth bodies of water
- Latios is shown taking off with the player on his back in normal form, then Mega Evolving while transitioning into the new Soaring thing
- May is shown running through a large crater, and Brendan is seen running into that fiery red pagoda-like building from one of the earlier trailers. Brendan is also shown in Mossdeep City covering his ears while a giant green beam fires into the sky to the south - it seems to be something Rayquaza-related based on the other Rayquaza footage next to it in the video
- Secret Base customization is shown a little - it looks a lot cooler than it was in RSE

The rest of it seems to just be footage of known features.