A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Smash Bros.

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri May 04, 2012 12:05 am

Sounds like we sparked a bit of a discussion in the shoutbox. I know it's years past but does anyone still play this? I wouldn't mind a few more matches with people I know, though I'd have to dig out my copy and get my friend code.

I haven't played the game in some time, but I used to play it so much. It's safe to say I had played Smash Melee like I play TF2 now, albiet I played a lot by myself. There was a point where the local community center had Melee hooked up to public consoles and I often dropped in for pick-up matches, but kids don't know how to handle video games and the systems broke after time. That was really most of the multiplayer Smash I ever got my hands on besides a few matches with my brother.

Would love to play some Brawl again though. The community center never had it but I got the oppertunity to play it with a bunch of people while I was in the Navy. Even when they weren't around, three level seven computers proved ample challenge (lets face it, 8s and 9s cheat like hell). I mixed up my characters and found myself becoming proficient with multiple characters, but the ones I played the most: Toon Link was my top choice, Marth and Pit were also high up, but I could handle just about anyone. Snake and Olimar probably gave me the most trouble with their complex fighting styles but I could use them fairly well. I do remember though I kinda sucked using Rob.

But, play me online, i'll pull Toon Link out first, then switch it up for someone else. I typically change fighters every match just to keep things interesting.

So who plays as what? I'd like to know, best characters? Best stage? (I was partial to the basics: Battlefield and Final Destination, though I very much liked Shadow Moses Island and Lylat Cruise). Prefered rule sets? (3 lives, no healing items, no transform items, no hammers or dragoon).

Hell, friend codes while we're at it, if we got time, I say we could get an some inpromtu matches going.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Smash Bros.

Post by darklin0 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 am

I played every Smash Bros. game like I play TF2 now. I am pretty lucky my 3 cousin lived a couple of houses down the street so I got to play multi all the time. You could not believe how many times there were 1 on 1 ending battles, it was glorious. Also the ability to gloat in their faces was great. I usually main Link but I also like playing as Samus/Zero Suit and Ganon from time to time. My worst character has to be Pikachu, I can't ever seem to do anything with him.e

I would love to join up in some online action if we can set up some play times, I doubt I would be any good due to my awesome ping.
Queen of the We Hate Mateo Club. Co-Captain: Zookie
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri May 04, 2012 12:23 am

Melee > Brawl.

All characters.

All items.

All stages.

all fun.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Fri May 04, 2012 2:06 am

TheCarpe wrote:Melee > Brawl.

All characters.

All items.

All stages.

all fun.
I haven't played Melee in freaking forever so I can't make a valid argument against or for this opinion.

OT: Luigi, Captain Falcon, Wario, 5 Stock, No Time, All Items on low, Any stage (though I am Partial to the Pokemon Stadiums and the melee Donkey Kong Stage.)

We could also use this thread to talk about the next games their making. The info so far is that it's gonna be on both the 3DS and Wii U, and Sakurai is interested in Capcom Characters.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri May 04, 2012 2:46 am

The argument I hear is that Melee is a much smoother experience than Brawl, and requires a bit more skill in some respects. Wavedashing aside, there's a lot of Melee tactics that were simplified in Brawl (air dodges, picking up items, catching items in particular) and a lot of stupid unnessicary bits added in addition (tripping can go to hell). The only thing Melee really doesn't have that Brawl does are the few additional characters. Final smashes are also cheap in a sense (in my opinion) and aren't really needed. In fact, I usually have them off when i'm playing with friends as everyone agrees that most of them are just "I win" buttons.

And to be honest, I was a big fan of using Mewtwo and Dr. Mario. Was disapointed they were cut from Brawl.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Fri May 04, 2012 2:59 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:The argument I hear is that Melee is a much smoother experience than Brawl, and requires a bit more skill in some respects. Wavedashing aside, there's a lot of Melee tactics that were simplified in Brawl (air dodges, picking up items, catching items in particular) and a lot of stupid unnessicary bits added in addition (tripping can go to hell). The only thing Melee really doesn't have that Brawl does are the few additional characters. Final smashes are also cheap in a sense (in my opinion) and aren't really needed. In fact, I usually have them off when i'm playing with friends as everyone agrees that most of them are just "I win" buttons.

And to be honest, I was a big fan of using Mewtwo and Dr. Mario. Was disapointed they were cut from Brawl.
I seem to be the only one who thinks that simplifying things and random elements are good. Simplifying things helps new people get in the game easily and random elements help them get the edge on better players while at the same time letting the best show why they are the best.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri May 04, 2012 8:05 am

The best way I've heard it put is that Melee is a fighting game, and Brawl is a party game.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri May 04, 2012 8:21 am

If anyone's interested, I booted up my copy of brawl and grabbed my friend code:

Zork
4082-6071-7874

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Fri May 04, 2012 10:29 am

I like playing Falco, but Snake's Final Smash thing is too much fun.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Samus. All the way.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Ignatius
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ignatius » Fri May 04, 2012 12:21 pm

I played melee in tournaments from about 2003-2007, it was a lot of fun. It's a really enjoyable game any way you play it, items on or off whatever. I actually started playing again just this last week as I've agreed to help a friend run a fairly large tournament for Melee and Brawl this summer, although I am really awful currently.

Brawl makes me sad though. Except for Brawl Minus, which is amazing.
Zork Nemesis wrote:(tripping can go to hell).
I'm pretty sure with just an SD card and a few things loaded onto it you can remove tripping entirely.
TVC'10: Badass Bunch
Warpath Cup'11: Hades Babies, Villympics'11: Bold and the Beautiful, TVC'11: Conballers
Warpath Cup'12: FAIL Villympics`12: ACME

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Fri May 04, 2012 1:45 pm

I use to play snake then I went to wolf, finally I went to Mario. I miss melee Mario

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Fri May 04, 2012 2:08 pm

I had brawl when I was in college, me and my roommates would pick up and play a few matches when time allowed, and occasionally we'd play well into the night. My favorite main was Diddy Kong, I loved him for the annoyance factor. I also really like Pit. I wasn't quite as good with them, but I also enjoyed pulling out Bowser and Ganon. Sometimes you just like to hit things hard!

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Fri May 04, 2012 2:31 pm

I used to really like Melee. Don't remember who I liked to play as though; it's been too long. I still play the first SSB sometimes for nostalgia.

I never bothered to get Brawl. I was interested prior to the release until the level of revealed content went from "Awesome, so much new stuff!" to "Wow, you guys are really just putting whatever crap you can think of into this, aren't you?" The biggest nail in the coffin though was the music. Hundreds of tracks, most of them remixes, and literally not one that I actually enjoy. I thought it was impossible, being the game-music nut that I am. :( They pretty much spat on every great game tune ever with those "remixes" (I use the term lightly and begrudgingly). Again, putting in whatever crap they could find.

Maybe I'll pick it up someday if the price ever goes down (do price drops even happen on Wii games? Seriously?!), but not until then.

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm

ketchuo wrote:I use to play snake then I went to wolf, finally I went to Mario. I miss melee Mario
Fool, Classic Mario is where it's at.