Monday Night Monday Night Combat Combat Night!

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Monday Night Monday Night Combat Combat Night!

Post by TheCarpe » Wed May 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Well as far as general tips go, they're fairly basic. Push bots to the Moneyball, if Pro's try to stop you, kill them. Try playing a few single player Blitz games to learn the bots and what they do, and familiarize yourself with the skills and weapons of the Pros.

What class are you gravitating towards? Each of us has good experience with the classes and can offer you advice on them (I can help you with Tank, Masakari knows Gunner, biscuit does Support, Zork and Buzzy do Sniper, and gator plays Assassin).

Ask questions :) I know you played with us the other night but I don't think I heard you ask any questions (or if you did, I didn't notice, and I apologize).

The best way to get used to the game though is by playing it. The game you were in with us was a pretty bad stomp, so I can see why it might have been disheartening, but we warned you the game had a steep curve :D
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Wed May 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:Sniper: Sniper, not much more to it. But there is more, as MNC snipers have more supporting abilities. The sniper rifle doesn't require charging and when upgraded, the shots pass through targets and even explode. Though bodyshots aren't very lethal, headshots kill anyone save for a tank (though a tank will be left with roughly 2% health). It is possible to no-scope headshots but given the way the game works, it's very unlikely without accuracy buffs. Snipers also have ice traps that prevent anything that trips it from moving and also saps their abilities. On top of that, they have flak shells that create a large patch of damaging flak to deter, flush out, or kill enemies in the area.
You've forgotten the thing that's stood out to me the most: the sniper in MNC is projectile fire while the sniper in TF2 is hitscan. Couldn't aim well enough with hitscan, let alone fighting things that move faster than a gunner with that bullet travel time.

Or, dare I say it, a jumping support. >_<

A major drawback is that as a sniper I can't really push with my team. Since games are 6v6 at max that's quite the hindrance...
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

Fizbon666
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Fizbon666 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:09 am

Play a few solo rounds with against the bots with each class. Get a feel for what they can do that way.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat May 14, 2011 3:26 am

I'm considering looking into this as an alternative to TF2. While I still love me some TF2, alternatives are never a BAD thing. Are people still playing it regularly enough that I will have villuns to play with?

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Sat May 14, 2011 10:20 am

Yes. Most of us usually play a couple of times a week, and I still have my server.
I am the 1%!

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat May 14, 2011 12:48 pm

I picked it up.

Fizbon666
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Fizbon666 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Actually sniper is Hit scan, it just shows a bullet traveling. I play sniper a lot. In fact today I got my first kick vote! Yay! Usually I suck, but the upgraded penetration really helps when pros are following bots... :)

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat May 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Fizbon666 wrote:Actually sniper is Hit scan, it just shows a bullet traveling. I play sniper a lot. In fact today I got my first kick vote! Yay! Usually I suck, but the upgraded penetration really helps when pros are following bots... :)
Exploding bullets.

Enough Said

But seriously those exploding bullets really help against bots (slims especially) and they help when enemy players are using their (or your) bots for cover. They also help when you can't get a clear shot at a support who's hacking a gun and when people mob up around the jackbot or turrets.

Piercing rounds are useful though, but only once have I gotten two headshots with one bullet before, and I have 600+ headshots on record so far. I've had at least three instances of a headshot kill, with another pro being killed by the bullet explosion at the same time.

It's amazing how many people pick on snipers, yeah we're weak and we can kill you quick, but i've seen some people go way out of their way just to kill me, and fail so hard doing so. I recall this one game, 15 minute match on Ammo Mule, an assault on the opposing team finished with like 4-17 for Kills/Deaths, where I accounted for 3 of his 4 kills and I had killed him at least 6 times, only once with the rifle. Two kills were grapples, one a ringout, another an SMG. The sixth was an ejector.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat May 14, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm really enjoying assassin in crossfire games so far. I might like sniper more if I made a custom one that had more than 4 rounds per reload.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat May 14, 2011 8:06 pm

frostdillicus wrote:I'm really enjoying assassin in crossfire games so far. I might like sniper more if I made a custom one that had more than 4 rounds per reload.
The setup i've become acustomed to goes as follows:
Gold: Firing Rate
Silver: Clip Size
Bronze: Critical Chance

This setup gives your rifle 6 shots which you can unload in about 3 seconds. With the small crit boost, when you miss the headshot, you're still likely to land powerful blows. The bronze endorsement can be a number of things though, for example, health allows you to take another body shot from opposing snipers, skill recovery helps with flak and ice traps, and reload speed; while I deem unnessicary, is a good compliment to the increased firing rates.

If you choose to mix the Gold/Silver endorsements, you'll have 8 shots to work with, which you'll be able to unload in roughly 8 seconds.

Don't bother with accuracy, as the sniper rifle has perfect aim when scoped. Juice endorsements aren't nessicary, when you have the tier-3 sniper upgrade (exploding bullets) it will only take about 20 seconds of shooting bots to fill your juice. Speed helps you get away in a pinch, but in an ideal situation, you won't want to move a whole lot anyway, plus you can find speed boosts when you kill people. Health regeneration might help stave off a bullet wound, but due to low sniper health, often times you'll be dead before you have a chance to heal.

This setup in my opinion optimizes your sniper rifle's potential, but when using it, be extremly aware of your surroundings. Snipers have the lowest max health, and without health endorsements, many things can kill you very fast. This includes Assassain, Tank, Gunner, and Sniper grapples, Assault Charges, Assault L3 Bombs, 2 Sniper Rifle Bodyshots, 3 Railgun shots (tank sidearm), Tank L3 Product Grenade (if you can't escape the extra 4 bombs), Ejector (yes, in one hit with no health endorsements, the ejector WILL kill you), among other things, those are big ones to look out for. Turrets and other means of attack will make quick work of you, so watch your surroundings and don't hesitate to run at the first sign of trouble....or, you can do what I do and close in for a SMG grapple, then follow up with the class grapple. While a bit more dangerous to do that, you stand a chance of scoring an impressive kill or at least putting considerable distance between you and your attacker.

And don't forget to taunt after as many headshots as you can. You get $50 per headshot, and if you can retreat to cover and perform a taunt within 4 seconds, you'll get an extra $50, which really helps build your skills as fast as possible. Don't taunt after every kill though, and don't taunt while exposed. Taunting after every kill reduces your effectivness for the team while taunting in the open is just asking for trouble.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sun May 15, 2011 12:12 am

VIEW CONTENT:
Now that's a good round in my book. Despite my K:D, I didn't pull Uber Streak again (25 kills in one life), but I remained undefeated from the 8-minutes-in mark during the 20 minute round. Also pulled the Grappler tag (10 grapple kills in one game) despite not being an Assassain.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Mon May 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Okay, I re-fixed reserved slots on my server. Here's how to use them and not have to pester me everytime you want to join the server (I'm looking at you, Ixtab)

1. Open up the console via the ~ key.
2. Type in 'open 68.232.177.143:7777' into the console.
3. Success!
I am the 1%!

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Mon May 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Hm... that seems like a lot of work.... we should just be able to join game from the friends list, or from the server list.... I think that you should fixitfixitfixit better.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Mon May 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Zomg, I want a reserved slot!

Here, I even did the mathy part for you. 0x0110000101E9F7CA

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Mon May 16, 2011 1:36 pm

+1 to Frosty.

And while I would take away a point from Ixtab, he's already so deep into the negative it wouldn't make a difference. :P
I am the 1%!