Monday Night Monday Night Combat Combat Night!

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Monday Night Monday Night Combat Combat Night!

Post by Ixtab » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 am

I did no such spelling errory.... also, you can change the syntax on catacoooooooombs? nice job.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:46 pm

I might be considering picking this up.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:00 pm

TTHREAZ wrote:I might be considering picking this up.
Anyone have a guest pass for T, here? I had one but already gave it out. Maybe someone else can hook you up.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Mine expired unfortunetly

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Mine expires May 4th so I'll just give it to T sometime.

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:17 pm

i didnt realize they expired before giving them out... looks like mine is gone too.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 pm

I will warn you as I've warned others, T. The game has a steep difficulty curve and only trains you on one of the six available classes. The first games will be rough but once you find a class you like and, more importantly, get a feel for what all the classes can do, you will have a much better time.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Yeah, it was difficult to pick up first, though at least it teaches you how to play the most versatile class first, and the tutorial is more about showing players the general game mechanics surrounding bots, moneyball defense, money, and skills rather than showing you how to play the class, but it does tell you how to do that too.

To compare the classes to TF2, this is what I see.

Assault: Due to it's versitality, I view assault as a parallel to soldier. Assaults have a great ballance of firepower, speed, and defenes to easily fit in wherever needed, and they have the ability to fly horizontally allowing them to reach some pretty tricky areas. An assault with tier-3 flight can cross the pit in Grenade arena

Tank: Pyro, no doubt, but with a little heavy on the side. Tanks have the most health on the team and are able to survive headshots and assassanations. This is coupled with a relativly slow movement and limited firing range of the jet gun. The rail gun is a good sidearm, but functions similar to the shock rifle from the Unreal Tournament games. In other words, the rail gun requires a lot of accuracy to use.

Support: Medic and Engineer bundled into one package with more. The support's firebase is similar to a sentry gun, and when it's upgraded, also provides healing to nearby teamates. Though not nearly as powerful as a TF2 sentry, it can hold areas rather well and goes up pretty quickly. The support also packs a shotgun, heal gun (that can sap enemy health with the alt-fire), and air-strikes that can instantly one-shot any player who hangs around too long. They can also hack turrets and dramatically improve their performance.

Assassain: Spy with a little scout. Sporting cloaking and the ability to run fast, they can easily slip behind lines and wreck havock, but it's important to note that assassains who don't support their team by only chasing players cause teams to lose. Assassains are very capable of sneaking behind lines and destroying bots well before they reach the main fray areas. That being said, an assassain grapple from behind will instantly kill anyone except a tank and their sword and throwing stars are very powerful weapons. Cloaking is noisy and imperfect so don't expect every assassaination to work and don't just rush straight at the enemy while invisible, go around them whenever you can.

Gunner: Heavy without the health mixed with a little demoman, they're still pretty tough but a gunner won't be able to take arrows through the face like a heavy (though no one in MNC uses arrows to begin with). Sporting a minigun and a mortar, gunners make up the heavy firepower portion of a team, being able to shread through players and knock out turrets faster than most. Gunners can deploy and become pretty much turrets, allowing them to deal more damage with better accuracy and slow anyone shot (ala Natascha) while restricting their movement.

Sniper: Sniper, not much more to it. But there is more, as MNC snipers have more supporting abilities. The sniper rifle doesn't require charging and when upgraded, the shots pass through targets and even explode. Though bodyshots aren't very lethal, headshots kill anyone save for a tank (though a tank will be left with roughly 2% health). It is possible to no-scope headshots but given the way the game works, it's very unlikely without accuracy buffs. Snipers also have ice traps that prevent anything that trips it from moving and also saps their abilities. On top of that, they have flak shells that create a large patch of damaging flak to deter, flush out, or kill enemies in the area.

It is a tough learning curve, as each class is far different from each other, but you can see a large amount of TF2 influenced this game, and i'm not just saying that because it's red vs blue in class-based combat. Another thing to be aware of though is that the enviroments are rather busy. While TF2 generally takes place in the middle of New Mexico, MNC plays in stadium-type enviroments, with lots of noise, 'advertisements' (the in-game endorsements are plastered everywhere), and witty banter from the commentator. It can be easy to get distracted if you're not focused.

Also, 1000th Assassain kill tonight, I proudly wear my new 'Can't Stab This' protag to taunt all those assassains who refuse to kill bots and come at my lonely sniper-ness. Lets see how they feel when my rifle golfs them into oblivion.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Guys, I'm an old Tribes player. You know, the game with the steepest learning curve in the history of games. :P

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon May 02, 2011 7:18 pm

MNC recieved a 354MB update today, however an IRC response from an Uber dev states that it was only a 'server crash fix'. As another Steam forum member pointed out, LazeRazor and Sprintz (Gren-adeIII?) each got 30MB of said patch.

354MB to fix a crash? There's got to be more to it.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Mon May 02, 2011 7:45 pm

New lighting for those maps?
I am the 1%!

Fizbon666
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Fizbon666 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:47 pm

3 star limit on pink bronco makes me a sad panda.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 am

Fizbon666 wrote:3 star limit on pink bronco makes me a sad panda.
I know, right?

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 am

I might be bumping it up to four soon, simply because most of us are hovering around the four star mark right now.

It's low because as a general rule, we suck and prefer to try and have fun over getting destroyed constantly by five start people. :P
I am the 1%!

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Wed May 04, 2011 1:14 pm

What would be the best way to get comfortable with the game? Jumping into the server and not getting any tips was clearly not the way.